Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 5 December 2016, 11:35
Confirmed User

Running Faster

I've recently started running again, basically for the first time since I ETS'd. I wasn't ever a fast runner when I was in and I'm even worse now.

I ran a couple 5k's at Thanksgiving and I have another in 5 months. What is a reasonable amount of time to drop with 5 months of training? I'm setting my goal and I want to make sure that it's realistic.

For reference, my last race was a 30:17 and I'd like to get under 27 minutes in five months of training. Is that realistic? Should I shoot for more?
Old 5 December 2016, 15:07
Authorized Personnel

That seems like a very realistic goal to me. There's plenty of fitness apps out on the market in which you enter your current abilities and your goals, and the app will create a training plan to get you to that goal. I stopped running when I retired and just took it up again two years ago. In six months I went from huffing & puffing just to get two miles in (thought I was dying... ) to running seven miles in an hour and three miles in 22:40.
Old 5 December 2016, 16:51
Confirmed User

I use the Strava app to track my progress. It's predominantly a cycling app but does have a running side.

Be intentional in your training. Having rest and substantive cross training days is just as important as your run days. Following a training plan has helped me do this.

I have switched to zero drop Altra running shoes. Bandwagon? Not sure yet. Your distance is not necessarily their target audience but they would be worth a look and you may start running farther.

I recently bit off more than I should have and now have an IT band issue. I now use some of the routine found at http://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/t...demonstration/.

A piece of advice I try to heed now is it is better to be a little undertrained on race day than to be a little injured on race day.

For speed specifically, google "speed workouts" you'll find numerous options- http://www.active.com/running/articl...outs-for-speed.

Last edited by 34RX; 5 December 2016 at 16:58. Reason: Add link for speed

Our new posting rules