Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 28 December 2016, 15:36
Confirmed User

Cameras?

I'm in the market for a new digital camera. It will primarily be used for vacation photos and other casual uses.

Currently I'm using a hand-me-down Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1, but it will not accept any memory card larger than 2 GBs, and that's an issue.

I've done a fair amount of research and I think I want a point-and-shoot instead of a DSLR, mainly due to its size. A point-and-shoot would be able to fit in a pocket, while a DSLR would have to be carried separately. Not looking for interchangeable lenses, due to the same issue(though I did like the Sony a6000 I looked at last week).

I went to a local camera shop earlier today and was shown a few different cameras, a couple DSLRs and a few point-and-shoots. In the end the owner said that the best one for me would most likely be the Canon G9x because of its large sensor and its ability to take good photos in low light or situations where a flash is not allowed.

My dad thinks I should buy this one Leica he found, but he only thinks that because of the brand name.

Having handled the Canon G9x, I really like it, but I'm certainly open to suggestions.

What say you, SOCNET?
Old 28 December 2016, 15:40
Red Headed Stepchild

My wife the artist regularly sells pictures she takes with her iPhone. You can buy lens kits for them if you need to get fancy. Her $$$ DSLR rarely leaves the house these days.
Old 28 December 2016, 15:45
Violence of Action

My wife uses a Nikon D5500 for her photography business...along with different lenses. It takes great pictures.

I have used the earlier model for several years at work for business purposes and it works like a charm. I have never been disappointed with either...and, more importantly for me, they are easy to use.
Old 28 December 2016, 15:53
Newbie shooter

I have a Leica for years and I'm still mad I sold it. Interesting Leica made a run of camera's based on your Panasonic which were essentially the same but with Leica glass for a lens. I Loved mine, I think it took the best photos I've ever taken. It was the best point and shoot I have ever used and included the manual focus mode.

99% of pictures are taken with a cellphone these days because thats what people always have on them.

are you prepared to keep that big heavy extra camera on you all the time when you are out enjoying the show?
Old 28 December 2016, 17:36
Confirmed User

I have a couple of the Canon pocket cameras (current one is an SD1400) and have been real happy with them, I'm no photographer and still manage to take decent pics. In addition they have been durable, one has fallen out of my pocket a couple of times at 50+mph (forgot to zip up my pocket) while out for a ride and though banged up still works fine.
Old 28 December 2016, 18:26
Confirmed User

Full time Photojournalist.
If a point and shoot will do what you want use the iphone7 and look no farther.
Full disclosure I personally use Nikon, and on the job they provide Nikon gear so that works out.
Leica cameras and glass are legend, and priced like it.
Old 13 February 2017, 14:58
Confirmed User

Have you looked into mirrorless? Something like the Sony A6000/Fuji X-T20 and brethren. It can be just slightly bigger than a small P&S with a pancake lens, smaller than larger P&S, not bad with a kit 16-50mm, and noticeably smaller than DSLR with the same lens. Most importantly, the same APS-C or full frame sensor as DSLRs.

Micro 4/3 format is also mirrorless with interchangeable lens at an even smaller size due to a smaller sensor. I'd recommend going APS-C but it's a personal preference of the size/quality tradeoff.

A P&S with a 1" sensor will have noticeably better quality in low light than smaller sensors. Go for a BSI (backside illuminated) sensor for improved image quality. I'm seeing many folks get a P&S companion or for traveling extra light. Lots of options but a few I was looking at recently:

Fits in small case, can be attached to belt:
Sony HX90V: 1/2.3" sensor, 30.00x zoom (24-720mm eq.)
Panasonic ZS100: 1" sensor, 10.00x zoom (25-250mm eq.)
Sony RX100 series: 1" sensor, ~3-4x zoom, Mk II and up for BSI.

Shoulder case:
Canon G3x: 1" sensor, 24–600 mm
Sony RX10 series: 1" sensor, up to 24-600mm range on the Mk III.

Use dpreview.com for head to head image comparisons at different settings.

Our new posting rules