Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Terrorism and Asymmetric Warfare

Old 30 January 2017, 11:34
Confirmed User

Quebec Mosque Shooting

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/2...ng-canada.html

I've scoured the internet and I haven't been able to find any information about the villains who perpetrated this disgrace.

One not exactly reputable message boards some say the shooters are Syrian Refugees and shouted "Allah Akbar", used AK's.

I looked on the Quebec Mosque's website and could not find what type of mosque it is.

My questions are, who are the murderers and if American / Canadian Muslims are at risk from immigrant Muslims, could we persuade American Muslims to support some sort of reasonable immigration policy?

Last edited by Ted Dibiase; 30 January 2017 at 11:43.
Old 30 January 2017, 11:40
Confirmed User

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/01...orts-show.html

Suspects names' in the article. One supposedly of Moroccan descent, the other a white college kid.
Old 30 January 2017, 11:47
Confirmed User

Thanks!

I wonder about the motive. Terrorism or dummy idealistic college kids doing a "Fast and Furious" type deal.
Old 30 January 2017, 11:48
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Dibiase View Post
Thanks!

I wonder about the motive. Terrorism or dummy idealistic college kids doing a "Fast and Furious" type deal.
Regardless of who commits the action, it's the motive behind the action that counts.
Confirmed User

No motive yet, apparently they were yelling Alla Akbar...Probably right wing Christians...

Maybe it was one of those sects that speaks out against terrorism, is it the Sufi's?? IDK, but if they're getting attacked by other muslims they might just be on our side?

Prayers for the wounded and the families, nobody needs this shit.
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Dibiase View Post
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/2...ng-canada.html
...if American / Canadian Muslims are at risk from immigrant Muslims, could we persuade American Muslims to support some sort of reasonable immigration policy?
I think any normal human being is sickened by the slaughter of innocents, especially those gathered in prayer. Whether this would/should translate into support for an immigration policy will depend on who did the shooting and why.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 30 January 2017, 11:50
Confirmed User

UK press reported that the Quebecois accomplice ran from the Mosque and called the police to surrender while the Moroccan immigrant assailant was arrested on scene.

Kind makes me wonder if the Moraccan talked the other into going along for the ride which the kid then regretted..... We'll see....

Some sort of Sunni v Shite revenge attack?
Old 30 January 2017, 12:02
Confirmed User

http://www.cciq.org

The above is the website of the Islamic Culutural Center of Quebec City where the attack took place. I don't read French and couldn't find a translate button but perhaps someone here does.

Edit: website seems to be having some outages. Perhaps too much traffic.
Old 30 January 2017, 12:07
Confirmed User

Using Google Translate:

Quote:
The Cultural Center Islamique de Qubec (CCIQ) is appalled by the content of the draft charter of "Quebec values", which fuels the controversy and nourishes a perception of discrimination between Quebecois and Quebecois. The CCIQ is rightly concerned about the social disruption that this project is provoking in the minds of the citizens of Quebec.

The CCIQ is also concerned about the consequences and the impact of the law that will result from this draft charter on the Muslim community in Quebec in general and Muslim women in particular.

The CCIQ is also of the opinion that this draft charter risks undermining women's right to equality, which has already been an asset in Quebec for several decades. While recognizing the principle of respect for equality between women and men, the prohibition of the wearing of conspicuous religious symbols from the outset excludes Muslim women who choose to wear the Islamic veil from the possibility of Employment in public institutions, including government, municipalities, school boards and health centers.

Let us recall here that the wearing of the Islamic veil for these women is a religious practice and not a mere religious sign and that access to employment in public institutions must be available according to the competences of each and every one of the Quebecois and In Quebec.

In addition, targeting Muslim women in particular, this bill will accentuate the already visible discrimination against Muslim women and hinder their integration and participation in civic life. The CCIQ is of the opinion that the right to equality requires full recognition of the economic and social rights of all citizens of Quebec without distinction.

The CCIQ is in agreement with a neutral Quebec state. The latter must remain neutral, not favoring one religion more than another; It must also remain a reflection of the society it represents, a pluralistic society that respects the rights of minorities.

To think that the quality of state services is diminished or even distorted by the fact that they are dispensed by Quebec public service agents who display their religious beliefs, constitutes a serious prejudice and prejudice for these persons from the point of view of Their integrity, competence and neutrality.

The CCIQ will always support a policy whose priority is to bring together the favorable conditions to give all citizens the opportunity to have a job and a government concerned about the serenity and concord between the citizens through the implementation Balanced and fair social policies for all.

The CCIQ has made it its duty to participate in the various public debates in parliamentary committees, in particular the Blanger-Campeau Commission, the Committee on Culture, the fight against racism and discrimination and the Bouchard-Taylor Commission, or Public consultations such as the one on Bill 941. To this end, the Islamic Cultural Center of Quebec, a charitable organization incorporated in Quebec and Canada since 1985, remains open and available to participate actively in any public consultation around Draft charter of "Quebec values.
Old 30 January 2017, 12:18
Confirmed User

I found the website via the references in the Wikipedia article on the place; I assume the link I initially provided was to a statement regarding some legislation and that is what you translated. I have corrected the link to the main page
Old 30 January 2017, 18:16
Problem Solver

It now appears that there was only one shooter, a 27 year-old named Alex Bissonette:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/01...olice-say.html

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 30 January 2017, 18:24
Confirmed User

So since when do police handcuff witnesses? (when they haven't secured the scene yet?) Just thinking out loud here. The story sounds weird as hell.
Old 30 January 2017, 18:57
Violent Social Worker

When dealing with unscreened unknowns in a chaotic situation often everybody gets cuffed and sorted out later.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 30 January 2017, 19:01
Social Claymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
When dealing with unscreened unknowns in a chaotic situation often everybody gets cuffed and sorted out later.
This....

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 30 January 2017, 23:50
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Yup.
Old 31 January 2017, 00:01
War on Christmas veteran

Alexandre Bissonnette, the suspected shooter was formally charged with six counts of murder and five counts of attempted murder.
There was an interesting line, that caught my attention, in an article on CNN about the Alexandre Bissonnette...

"Bissonnette, who was a student in the university's school of social sciences, has been barred from any study or research activities until the end of the current judicial process, the school said."

I wonder if they honestly think he'll be released on bail before his trial.
Any Canadians here want to chime in on their justice system and let me know if this is possible?

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx
Old 31 January 2017, 00:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo Five Romeo View Post
Alexandre Bissonnette, the suspected shooter was formally charged with six counts of murder and five counts of attempted murder.
There was an interesting line, that caught my attention, in an article on CNN about the Alexandre Bissonnette...

"Bissonnette, who was a student in the university's school of social sciences, has been barred from any study or research activities until the end of the current judicial process, the school said."

I wonder if they honestly think he'll be released on bail before his trial.
Any Canadians here want to chime in on their justice system and let me know if this is possible?
No he won't be released, but I assume this prevents him from doing correspondence or online courses from jail.
Old 31 January 2017, 10:12
Confirmed User

On the French news,they say the perpetrator is a white right-wing nationalist...who shouted Allahu akbar before killing muslims..
Day after Justin Trudeau welcomed all muslims to Canada....
How convenient...

"Either go Genghis Khan, or go home..." - Leopardprey
Old 31 January 2017, 10:15
Social Claymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armageddon View Post
On the French news,they say the perpetrator is a white right-wing nationalist...who shouted Allahu akbar before killing muslims..
Day after Justin Trudeau welcomed all muslims to Canada....
How convenient...
Gotta say, my spider senses are tingling on this.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 31 January 2017, 11:45
Been There Done That

There is a dynamic involved in this that few outside of Quebec (and Canada in general) can fully grasp...

There is a tension within Quebec, primarily amongst the most ultra-nationalist Quebecois (who were, and are IMHO, terrorist along the lines of the PIRA) WRT the influx of peoples of Islamic persuasion into Quebec...

Much like the plot line in The Highlander, "There Can Be Only One", the hard-corps Quebecois is akin to the skin-heads of Europe - but focused on the French Canadian ancestry issue, not entirely on race... There goal is Quebec as a stand-alone nation state and they pass laws within Quebec that all but exclude "anglophiles" and the English language from commerce, etc.

Bottom line - What we may have here is a frog skin-head, in essence, targeting a competing demographic because:

1. They are a competing demographic, the only competing demographic to get special carve-outs in the Quebec law, which is intolerable to the Quebecois. If they can get a carve-out, then Anglophones can begin to get carve-outs...

2. Attacking a mosque and its occupants will, in the long run, garner less blow-black to the Quebecois movement than an attack on any anglophile target in Quebec.

Like many things, you have to live the dynamic to understand how deep the roots of the issue are.

FWIW, and my .02 worth for general SA...

Our new posting rules