Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 30 January 2017, 15:21
Authorized Personnel

SOCNET Dirt Bike Riders Thread

Who else rides dirt bikes? I know Ranger Charlie has ridden in some enduro events.

I'm going to try a few races on the mid-Atlantic AHRMA enduro/cross country series this year as time permits. I'm old and slow so finishing will be a bonus.

Anyone else? Currently have a 2-stroke 1983 Husqvarna 250 WR.

What you got? Do you race or ride for pleasure? Trail? Sand? Circles in your backyard? MX? Enduro?
Old 30 January 2017, 17:42
Confirmed User

in a time long long ago I did, started in so cal with a 79 yz490, then 84 cr500,86 cr500 and 92 kx500 in the late 80 early 90, rode mostly Gorman and lucern valley areas. man I miss Gorman ca.. then when I moved back to west ky had a 94kx250 and rode some hare scrambles. at 52 and too many surgeries I don't ride anymore but do miss it.
Old 30 January 2017, 20:17
Been There Done That

My dirt bike experience includes:

1) Riding into an apple tree
2) Making a jump ending with the foot peg going into my kidney
3) Missing the ramp driving one off a C130

My dirt bike career is over.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 30 January 2017, 20:42
Supporterator

Well I grew up on poorly maintained enduros my dad would find in the local papers for in the neighborhood of 300-500 bucks.
First ride for me was a 1972 Honda XL350, a Yamaha 360 enduro (scary fast for what it was) and finally he found a pristine 1972 Honda 175cc enduro. I rode that thing hard but took good care of it.

Dad still has both the bigger bikes, and they both still run after countless hours of mud and dirt roads. Pretty well built machines for the most part.

All that experience on old worn out obsolete stuff helped a lot riding minis as a CCT, and the full size bikes with LBV, ruck etc. Lots of guys hated doing it, but I was always volunteering for anything dirt bike related.

Last time I was on a dirt bike was a course my unit took at Bragg where some former motorcross rider was the SME. Really fun, got to ride in the Smokies for a few days up by Asheville.
economic and environmental policy.“
- Timothy Wirth,
President of the UN Foundation
Old 30 January 2017, 21:47
Not a ninja...

1RiserSlip's Post... HA!

My first ever motorcycle ride (15 y.o.) was with the front wheel going up a tree. My boss's bike. He said, "Why didn't you use the brakes?" I said, "Which ones are the brakes?"

Currently we have two Hondas. A 70CC bike that the kids and I ride. Our back yard is just big enough I can hang myself way over on it and tear around in a circle! And I have a 250 with lights so it's good for the road. I typically ride it around the neighborhood and up the hill in my front yard which embarrasses my wife while she shakes her head and says I look like a red neck..

But occasionally I'll go into the national forest and goof off.
Old 30 January 2017, 22:04
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
Who else rides dirt bikes? I know Ranger Charlie has ridden in some enduro events.

I'm going to try a few races on the mid-Atlantic AHRMA enduro/cross country series this year as time permits. I'm old and slow so finishing will be a bonus.

Anyone else? Currently have a 2-stroke 1983 Husqvarna 250 WR.

What you got? Do you race or ride for pleasure? Trail? Sand? Circles in your backyard? MX? Enduro?
'83 Husky 250? Nice bike. That's not the year they tried to do the auto transmission is it?

If you plan on doing AHRMA races, you may want to read the rule book cover to cover to make sure your bike qualifies for the class you want to enter. I don't know if it's been fixed or not, but I heard about some people on the VitalMX message board having their '82/'83 KXs classified as "post vintage" because they came stock with a front disc brake. The other brands from those years are eligible for "vintage" classes, but not the Kawasakis.

I grew up riding in San Diego in the early/mid-80s when the suburbs were wide open, and no one cared where we rode as long as we stayed off the streets.
Old 30 January 2017, 22:34
What could possibly go wrong?

Been riding and racing MX for 45 odd years. Now mostly do desert trips. Recently added a RZR 1000 into the stable. Dirt bike is a Honda CRF 450
Old 31 January 2017, 00:39
Low speed, large wake.

Why yes I do...

I've got a few...

1976 Husky 360

1976 Husky 250

2000 KTM 380 EXC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 76 360.jpg (39.3 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg 76 250.jpg (39.7 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg KTM 380.jpg (41.2 KB, 166 views)

A very humble guest in the most Honorable of houses.

RIP CPT. W. JACOBSEN "DEUCE FOUR" 12/21/2004
RIP SPC C. GERTSON "DUECE FOUR" 2/19/2005
Old 31 January 2017, 09:08

Woods guy here...NECXC and GNCC. Started out on quads, then did bikes, now racing quad again but still riding an '04 RM 250 to stay in shape for the quad. Also have an '09 RZR SE (pink!!) that is my wife's ride and we recently added a Yamaha YXZ1000R side-by-side to the stable. If we aren't at a race, there's a good chance we're riding the buggies somewhere.
Old 31 January 2017, 10:49
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

I rode/raced MX in the SoCal area..
1986 Honda XR100 was my first ride, then a '88 KX105,
with the last bike I had was a '89 YZ250.

The Dirt gets in your veins.
Old 31 January 2017, 12:17
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-PH View Post
The other brands from those years are eligible for "vintage" classes, but not the Kawasakis.
Yeah I've got drums front and rear, coming from a 2012 TE310 let's just say that stopping is interesting...

BUSA - nice collection.

My first "dirt" bike was an early 70s Kawasaki 90 I bought at a flea market for $25. All my friends had RMs and YZs and KXs from the late 1970s and here I was with this fucking thing. But I rode the hell out of it, took it on trails in the woods, rode it in lots and lots of circles in the back yard. I can still remember the sound of the suspension bottoming out almost constantly. I later traded it on a .22 rifle.

I'd love to find one again though just to have.

One day I'll pick up my dream bike, which is an 86 CR250 - came out when I was 15 and love everything about it - but I think the red and blue color scheme was perfect.

The wife wants to get into riding, but she's wee, so her choices are limited. Found the perfect bike for her - 1986 or 1987 Honda TLR200 (Reflex). Marketed as a "trials" bike but bonus is they came street legal. She can fit on it, pick it up off the ground, reach the levers, etc ---- now just have to find one actually for sale.

If she ends up binning it and hating riding then I get a sweet trials bike to fart around on...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kawasaki90.jpg (26.7 KB, 151 views)
Old 31 January 2017, 12:47
Low speed, large wake.

Thanks KidA. It's not an obsession, it's an addiction

Check out East Coast Vintage they can build you anything:
http://www.eastcoastvintagemx.com/bikes-for-sale.html

I just added a 2016 BMW GSA to the collection (I need a bigger garage)

Last edited by busa; 31 January 2017 at 12:49. Reason: Added line
Old 31 January 2017, 15:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by busa View Post

Addiction is an understatement for my obsession. Finally sold my last bike and unfortunately, the riding days are over.

Last edited by usaf2w2; 31 January 2017 at 15:59. Reason: Posting photo
Old 31 January 2017, 18:18
Low speed, large wake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf2w2 View Post
and unfortunately, the riding days are over.

My sincere condolences...

Old 31 January 2017, 19:24
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by busa View Post

I've heard bad things about East Coast Vintage (beautiful to look at, but shoddy workmanship). Here's a thread from VitalMX with plenty of examples...http://www.vitalmx(dot)com/forums/Old-School-Moto,22/Beautiful-restores-for-sale-at-East-Coast-Vintage,1310099

KidA, The '86 CR250 is one of the best bikes I've ever ridden. The motor ripped, and the suspension was unreal, even in stock form (it probably didn't hurt that I was 130lbs, max last time I rode one). One of these days, I'm going to get an '82 RM250 to restore. My first "real" bike was an '82 RM80, and I've been enamored with Suzukis ever since.
Old 31 January 2017, 19:47
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
I'm going to get an '82 RM250 to restore. My first "real" bike was an '82 RM80, and I've been enamored with Suzukis ever since.
The Suzuki Blue and Yellow bikes of that era were real lookers.

I'm not a fan at all of the aggro/EXTREME look of bikes starting in the mid to late 90s
Old 31 January 2017, 20:11
Low speed, large wake.

Quote:
I've heard bad things about East Coast Vintage (beautiful to look at, but shoddy workmanship). Here's a thread from VitalMX with plenty of examples...http://www.vitalmx(dot)com/forums/Old-School-Moto,22/Beautiful-restores-for-sale-at-East-Coast-Vintage,1310099
Wow. Thanks for the heads up, I had only looked at what they advertised and never did any research, that's some good info to have.

Old 31 January 2017, 23:30

Quote:
I've heard bad things about East Coast Vintage (beautiful to look at, but shoddy workmanship). Here's a thread from VitalMX with plenty of examples...http://www.vitalmx(dot)com/forums/Ol...intage,1310099

KidA, The '86 CR250 is one of the best bikes I've ever ridden. The motor ripped, and the suspension was unreal, even in stock form (it probably didn't hurt that I was 130lbs, max last time I rode one). One of these days, I'm going to get an '82 RM250 to restore. My first "real" bike was an '82 RM80, and I've been enamored with Suzukis ever since.
'87 was a good year for CR's as well..from the 80R to their 500R.. Tons of usable power and great suspension.

I wish I had bought an '87 CR125R and beat it to the ground, only to cherry it out again as a decomm'd timepiece in my garage.

My buddy always had me envious of his PCR125 (Pro Circuit Racing) complete with a handmade "cone" pipe!
Old 1 February 2017, 00:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCH View Post
'87 was a good year for CR's as well..from the 80R to their 500R.. Tons of usable power and great suspension.

I wish I had bought an '87 CR125R and beat it to the ground, only to cherry it out again as a decomm'd timepiece in my garage.

My buddy always had me envious of his PCR125 (Pro Circuit Racing) complete with a handmade "cone" pipe!
Yeah, the '87s were pretty badass, too.
That was my favorite era of PC bikes. Was your buddy's bike a legit Pro Circuit Honda, or did he build a replica?
Old 1 February 2017, 04:07

Quote:
Yeah, the '87s were pretty badass, too.
That was my favorite era of PC bikes. Was your buddy's bike a legit Pro Circuit Honda, or did he build a replica?
He worked at PCR, he bought one of the practice bikes complete with some one-off custom parts that was left on the bike.

Our new posting rules