Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 1 February 2017, 07:42
Authorized Personnel

The Hospital (Kuwae) grounds had a world class track on it during my time on Okinawa. The Pro big name teams from Japan would come over quite often and those GI's who didn't mind getting embarrassed were allowed on the course while they practiced. I like to blame the riders weight as to why they were able make us look silly.

Back in 1976 the 185cc was a class, I had a TS 185 and a TS 250 set up pretty good.
Old 1 February 2017, 07:58
?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KGTHqNOJ154

Rode a little when I was younger, back in the YZ125 days. Now looking to get back into it mainly so I have a bike to put a track kit on for winter. Snowmobiling has always been my true love.

"OK, thankfully my wife doesn't read SOCNET -- something to do with it being filled with likeminded, immature people. Fuck her." - SOTB
Old 1 February 2017, 08:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by busa View Post
My sincere condolences...

Kids (riding partners) all raised and aged bodies forced us into reality...did the street thing for a while as well. To many fools trying to kill you and coming from dirt to street, well the fun factor is a different beast.
Old 1 February 2017, 09:31
Low speed, large wake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post
The Hospital (Kuwae) grounds had a world class track on it during my time on Okinawa. The Pro big name teams from Japan would come over quite often and those GI's who didn't mind getting embarrassed were allowed on the course while they practiced. I like to blame the riders weight as to why they were able make us look silly.
I can relate to this, when I go to the track they make me wear a jersey with a large red triangle on the back instead of a number to indicate to all the other racers that they are approaching a "SLOW MOVING VEHICLE", and that's just WORNG...

A very humble guest in the most Honorable of houses.
Old 2 February 2017, 20:50
Confirmed User

Awesome thread. First bike was a YSR 50, got it when I was 11, then my little brother wrecked it. After my dad calmed down, the frenzy started
Had: Z50, RM/YZ 80, CR 60, CR 125, ATC 250R, TRX 250R, RZ 350, and a couple more, and road all my friends bikes, as I started building them. Then the Banshee train came, last one did 105 on pump gas. Then I did a cartwheel at 70mph, after riding a wheelie to 4th gear-multiple fractures.

After recovering, got a CBR 600. Had it for a few months, and then sold after witnessing the worst wreck possible at a "street race".

Now I got nothing, and having serious withdrawl. Just looking for some oldies to buy and restore. If I would have kept half of my old bikes, they would have been a gold mine today.
Old 2 February 2017, 21:46
Low speed, large wake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instruct1 View Post
If I would have kept half of my old bikes, they would have been a gold mine today.
How's that old saying go...

"If you want to make a small fortune on old bikes,
start with a large one."

A very humble guest in the most Honorable of houses.
Old 3 February 2017, 08:01
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Just looking for some oldies to buy and restore.
There's a few gaybook groups that I've found that are good for buying and selling (or keeping abreast of current prices):

Mark's Vintage Motocross Swapmeet (might take him awhile to approve you to join, closed group, but he gets around to it)

If you aren't on gaybook he's at Vintage MX

Another one on gaybook is Vintage Enduro Buyers, and Sellers Guide. Mix of people posting what has been sold (for pricing) and some stuff for sale.

Neither page will have anything newer than 1989.

Bikefinds dot com is another good one - you can sort by type of motorcycle, year, state, etc, - it aggregates CL and ebay ads into one site.
Old 3 February 2017, 20:20
Confirmed User

Garrett Wolsink's USGP winning '77 Suzuki RN370 works bike just sold at a Mecum auction for $70k.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LV0117-276497/1977-suzuki-usgp-winner-mx/
Old 3 February 2017, 22:06
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
There's a few gaybook groups that I've found that are good for buying and selling (or keeping abreast of current prices):

Mark's Vintage Motocross Swapmeet (might take him awhile to approve you to join, closed group, but he gets around to it)

If you aren't on gaybook he's at Vintage MX

Another one on gaybook is Vintage Enduro Buyers, and Sellers Guide. Mix of people posting what has been sold (for pricing) and some stuff for sale.

Neither page will have anything newer than 1989.

Bikefinds dot com is another good one - you can sort by type of motorcycle, year, state, etc, - it aggregates CL and ebay ads into one site.
Thanks KidA, I'm going to check this out. If I could find anything (2/3/4 wheels) unmolested (pre 89), that would be cool. I have a good wish list

Btw, I could not find the thread, but what are the specs (parts/speed) on that "rocket bike" you built and ride? I remember something about a cylinder/piston form another motor?
Old 3 February 2017, 23:00
What could possibly go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-PH View Post
Garrett Wolsink's USGP winning '77 Suzuki RN370 works bike just sold at a Mecum auction for $70k.

That's old school iron right there. I had a RM 370 I rode/raced at once time. Great bike for that time. I traded off an original Honda Elsinore 250 I had been racing to get it and race the open class.
Old 3 February 2017, 23:24
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA SGT View Post
Honda Elsinore 250
That's the first bike on my wishlist. Never road one (was too young), but would like to own one now.
Old 3 February 2017, 23:25
Confirmed User

Quote:

That is a cool one.
Old 4 February 2017, 01:20
What could possibly go wrong?

Quote:
That's the first bike on my wishlist. Never road one (was too young), but would like to own one now.
I had the 250 and my dad had the 125. Great bikes.
Old 4 February 2017, 11:07
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Btw, I could not find the thread, but what are the specs (parts/speed) on that "rocket bike" you built and ride? I remember something about a cylinder/piston form another motor?
That was my old 1979 P200 Vespa that I did a ton of motor work on. Originally a 199cc sitting on a cast iron cylinder putting out about 12 HP.

I tore the cases apart, trashed the old iron cylinder and added a larger piston and made a custom head for it as well as bought a longer full circle race crank which all-in-all increased the size to about 225cc. On the cases I ported them for a larger intake and reed-induction system using carbon fiber reeds. Added a 35mm Mikuni flat slide carb, billet aluminum clutch basket with hydraulic actuator, hardened gear set (the Vespa motor doesn't use a chain but instead a direct drive transmisssion). Had a custom expansion chamber made for the exhaust.

Put the hp at the rear wheel from 12 hp to about 30 hp. Increased top speed from about 65 mph to 90+ hp (my problem was with that larger carb I couldn't find an oblong wheel to add to the throttle to allow for the carb to fully open so I was only getting about 7 or 8/10ths throttle when fully open.

Dropped the stock weight from 238lbs to about 190lbs, added a front disk brake set up, etc, etc etc. 225 2-stroke putting out 30+ hp at the rear wheel on a sub-200lb bike let's just say it was quick, much to the chagrin of almost any car short distance and quite a lot of motorcycles too. It was way faster than my 1983 Husqvarna 250 WR and would blow my 1974 Yamaha RD 350 out of the water and that was a twin-cylinder 2-stroke known at the time as the Widow Maker due to the killer powerband. Top speed was limited to sub 100 mph due to the fact you can only fit four gears in the cases and without a chain and front sprocket you're limited in gearing. I could pull wheelies in first through third gear at speed without clutch action, both when entering the gear and when hitting the powerband.

And then I got clipped on the bars by some jackass passing me on the right and wrecked it and fractured my hip. Ended up parting it out and selling it. Last I heard the motor is in a scooter in CA being raced pretty regularly (though with all that power a clutch basket only lasts a few hours).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Racer Vespa.jpg (104.8 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by KidA; 4 February 2017 at 11:15.
Old 5 February 2017, 00:53
Confirmed User

Quote:
That was my old 1979 P200 Vespa that I did a ton of motor work on. Originally a 199cc sitting on a cast iron cylinder putting out about 12 HP.

I tore the cases apart, trashed the old iron cylinder and added a larger piston and made a custom head for it as well as bought a longer full circle race crank which all-in-all increased the size to about 225cc. On the cases I ported them for a larger intake and reed-induction system using carbon fiber reeds. Added a 35mm Mikuni flat slide carb, billet aluminum clutch basket with hydraulic actuator, hardened gear set (the Vespa motor doesn't use a chain but instead a direct drive transmisssion). Had a custom expansion chamber made for the exhaust.

Put the hp at the rear wheel from 12 hp to about 30 hp. Increased top speed from about 65 mph to 90+ hp (my problem was with that larger carb I couldn't find an oblong wheel to add to the throttle to allow for the carb to fully open so I was only getting about 7 or 8/10ths throttle when fully open.

Dropped the stock weight from 238lbs to about 190lbs, added a front disk brake set up, etc, etc etc. 225 2-stroke putting out 30+ hp at the rear wheel on a sub-200lb bike let's just say it was quick, much to the chagrin of almost any car short distance and quite a lot of motorcycles too. It was way faster than my 1983 Husqvarna 250 WR and would blow my 1974 Yamaha RD 350 out of the water and that was a twin-cylinder 2-stroke known at the time as the Widow Maker due to the killer powerband. Top speed was limited to sub 100 mph due to the fact you can only fit four gears in the cases and without a chain and front sprocket you're limited in gearing. I could pull wheelies in first through third gear at speed without clutch action, both when entering the gear and when hitting the powerband.

And then I got clipped on the bars by some jackass passing me on the right and wrecked it and fractured my hip. Ended up parting it out and selling it. Last I heard the motor is in a scooter in CA being raced pretty regularly (though with all that power a clutch basket only lasts a few hours).
Damn, so the legend is true, I thought everyone was joking about "The Vespa". That's one heck of a build, and I would say that's more than major work--especially when the carb is almost half the size of the motor It's one of those Frankenstein projects, pretty cool and great work man--that kind of project determination is rare these days.

I know there has been a big movement in the last few years of people building "single cylinder/sub 75cc bikes", having top speeds around the 80 mph mark. It's crazy, the game has changed since I built them.

In the end, there's no better sound and smell like a few cylinders burning Castor

ETA: Bad ass pic

Last edited by Instruct1; 5 February 2017 at 01:04. Reason: spelling
Old 5 February 2017, 01:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA SGT View Post
I had the 250 and my dad had the 125. Great bikes.
Man, you all are lucky. I tell you, the good ole days of owning any awesome (car or bike with a purpose) production machine is over. So much has changed--and unfortunately for good.

Still, I'm going to keep an eye out for an Elsinore. Hopefully, one day.
Old 5 February 2017, 02:24
Confirmed User

Quote:
Still, I'm going to keep an eye out for an Elsinore. Hopefully, one day.
I'm good at spending other people's money...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Honda-CR-/122331943617?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c7b8d52c1:g:qnMAAOSwnHZYhTmw&item=122331943617

Depending on the quality of the restore, that's not a bad price, either.
Old 5 February 2017, 09:21
Supporterator

Quote:
Vespa
I have no words, that is insanely cool. And nuts. This board never ceases to amaze me.
economic and environmental policy.“
- Timothy Wirth,
President of the UN Foundation
Old 5 February 2017, 09:49
Confirmed User

Awesome thread and very cool stories and memories!

My first was a 1980 XL 125. then a 1984 XL500 with a large Acerbis fuel tank. Loved that bike. The 125 died shortly after we bought it when the piston broke, fell into the crank area and caused too much damage to fix. I can relate to many stories here..I remember racing through a clump of high grass, racing until i hit the boulder that the grass was hiding :).

The 500 is probably still running!
Old 5 February 2017, 15:25
Confirmed User

Quote:
I'm good at spending other people's money...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Honda-C...m=122331943617

Depending on the quality of the restore, that's not a bad price, either.
Thanks for the heads up. But I'm looking for one un-restored. Probably impossible at this point, but one can hope for a barn find. Besides, it's not a cool bike unless you build it

Last edited by Instruct1; 5 February 2017 at 15:26. Reason: spelling

Our new posting rules