Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 5 February 2017, 18:09
Social Claymore

Herniated disks....

Who has had one and what do they feel like?

I feel like I broke my damn back. Stretching is helping but if I move the wrong way I get some pretty serious "twinges" if that makes sense. I can still walk and move, everything in my lower back feels extremely tight.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 5 February 2017, 18:13
Authorized Personnel

Sounds more like a muscle pull than a herniation. I have a couple and it's more of a dull ache with pain running down the legs. Guess that has a lot to do with which disc it is.
Old 5 February 2017, 18:14
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
Who has had one and what do they feel like?

I feel like I broke my damn back. Stretching is helping but if I move the wrong way I get some pretty serious "twinges" if that makes sense. I can still walk and move, everything in my lower back feels extremely tight.
I had surgery for one. I had numbness down to my left foot and when I would take an unguarded step, I would get lightning bolt pain.. Get an MRI.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 5 February 2017, 18:48
Social Claymore

It's lighting bolt pain if I twist wrong but the stretching and ice seems to be to be helping.
Probably going to try and get a MRI tomorrow though.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 5 February 2017, 20:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
It's lighting bolt pain if I twist wrong but the stretching and ice seems to be to be helping.
Don't Twist.

I have had surgery 2 times on L1,L2,L3, this last time L1,L2,L3, S1,S2.

Bed Rest with a pillow under your legs
Old 6 February 2017, 00:49
Authorized Personnel

Following the hell out of this...I get a regular burning sensation at the bast of my neck, especially when driving. Left pinky and wring finger often tingle and go numb. I've gone to chiropractors who do x-rays, and they don't say it's herniated. Would an x-ray reveal a herniated disc?
Old 6 February 2017, 01:12
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
Following the hell out of this...I get a regular burning sensation at the bast of my neck, especially when driving. Left pinky and wring finger often tingle and go numb. I've gone to chiropractors who do x-rays, and they don't say it's herniated. Would an x-ray reveal a herniated disc?

No you need MRI
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 6 February 2017, 01:17
Swimming Upstream

I recommend this book for back and neck pain caused by spinal issues. When I follow the exercises all my symptoms subside. When I get lazy the pain and neuropathy returns.

7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life: How to Rapidly Relieve Back, Neck, and Shoulder Pain

Amazon
Old 6 February 2017, 02:29
Confirmed User

Quote:
The pain you're feeling is muscle pain. It's VERY painful. The question is what's causing your muscles to seize. Yes, a herniated or slipped disc will do that either when you hurt your back, or later during an "attack" of back pain.

Get an MRI if you can so identify the source.

If you lose strength in a leg and find yourself dragging your foot, or lose bladder control at any level, or have woody troubles, get to an ER; it's a medical emergency.

Stretching may not be the best thing for you; for the muscle pain - that lighting/stabbing feeling - (depending on severity of the cause), usually a voltaren shot will sort you out within 20 minutes.

+10 on the pillow under the legs and rest.

Don't try "work through" the pain.

Feel good!

Hoepoe
Old 6 February 2017, 03:17
Been There Done That

Don't overlook a muscle problem. I have a herniated disc at L4-L5 and for years did physical therapy and saw a chiropractor (which helped some). Ultimately, I discovered on my own that, even though I had a herniated disc, the pain was from my Psoas muscle (look it up. Ended up being from Medicine balls). Once I started stretching it (again, look it up. There are some good videos on youtube), the pain went away. Took 15 years to figure that out.
Old 6 February 2017, 06:37
Nurse Ratched

I have 3 that ended my time as an EMT. L4, L5 and S1. At first I thought it was a muscle pull and hobbled home. Next morning I came back to work and couldn't pick up my right leg high enough to get into the rig. When they flair up the pain is like a soldering iron right at the top of my ass crack and if I twist wrong a pissing on an electric fence sensation going down my right leg. Never had surgery though I did PT/OT for 9 months then went to RN school.

Col. Robert W. Black
Old 6 February 2017, 07:31
Confirmed User

Is it located to just one side? If so I'd look into remedies for SI joint pain (Where your pelvis meets the spine). Usually rest and ice/heat cycles.

If you rule out disc herniation or rupture, I'd look into Dry Needling (a lot of Chiros and PTs do it). I've used it many times, mainly for deep muscle injury where massage can't necessarily reach.

Beyond that, I'd definitely undertake some sort of rehabilitation style back strengthening program (to help prevent re-injury).

Good luck buddy.
Old 6 February 2017, 07:39
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoepoe View Post
T....
Stretching may not be the best thing for you...
..until you know the cause is - I meant to elaborate.

If safe to do so, leg stretches will make a huge difference.
http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/lower...show-exercises

I'm no doc, just a former carrier of heavy things to keep the bad people at bay and the good people safe :). Had a L4/S1 removed over 20 years ago and live pain free and am stronger than ever. (I would only recommend surgery if there is danger of irreversible nerve damage
Old 6 February 2017, 09:14
Authorized Personnel

Since about 2006 sometimes I get a sharp pain in my lower back and numbness in my leg. Maybe 2 or three times a year I go for a week or two where if I bend over at the waist it feels like it gives out and I can fall forward - usually after spending time working on my truck or something.

I figure it's some kind of disk problem...
Old 6 February 2017, 09:27
Been There Done That

Sounds like you should go to a Dr. and get an mri before stretching or trying any sort of self prescribed remedy.

Generally, it's spinal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP_0BhCw2rg
Old 6 February 2017, 11:53
Confirmed User

Hoepoe's got some good insight.

Glute stretches/massage is also something to consider. If you've tweaked a muscle in your back somewhere (or anything really) the body's normal response is for all the muscles immediately surrounding the damaged area to tighten up to help prevent further damage to the area.

This causes a ton of discomfort. A lot of PT's and Chiros will recommend deep tissue massage to resolve some of the pain, and it's why I recommend Dry Needling as it serves the same purpose. But the point is, don't always just focus on the area of the pain to reduce it. Usually the muscles/joints above and below the area of pain can become part of the solution.

From personal experience, every time I've strained my SI joint the best things for me were deep tissue massage on the glutes (and some stretching), paired with E-stim work on my Lower thoracic region (spinal erectors).

It's possible it could be your Quadratus Lumborum, test out a few of these exercises, relief may mean that it's not your QL but executing the process of elimination as best you can before going to see a PT could help them zero in on the problem.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/34...atus-lumborum/

Last thing I promise, though I think getting an MRI will be probable, I'd go to see a PT or Chiro first. Jumping right into an MRI could be a time (or $$ depending on your insurance) waster, especially if the PT or Chiro can pinpoint the problem with a few ROM/pain tests.
Old 6 February 2017, 12:11
Been There Done That

Chiropractors can certainly help but they're by no means necessarily safe when you have a herniated disc.

Like everyone else here said...go get an MRI.

In closing, back surgeries are complicated as well. I have two good friends who both had them done, twice each, and it was a disaster. Hooked on painkillers for years and real downward spiral while waiting for the DBA train to stop.

Right now, I know for a fact that I have herniated discs (L2 and L3). I'm trying my absolute best to work on core strength and constant forms of stretching (think hot yoga and inversion table) to avoid anything else. It's working but mileage drastically varies with back injuries.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 6 February 2017, 12:52
Social Claymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangercon View Post
Is it located to just one side? If so I'd look into remedies for SI joint pain (Where your pelvis meets the spine). Usually rest and ice/heat cycles.

If you rule out disc herniation or rupture, I'd look into Dry Needling (a lot of Chiros and PTs do it). I've used it many times, mainly for deep muscle injury where massage can't necessarily reach.

Beyond that, I'd definitely undertake some sort of rehabilitation style back strengthening program (to help prevent re-injury).

Good luck buddy.
It's the top of my left ass cheek, where it meets my lower back. It feels a lot like a deep tissue glute muscle.
It's been a few days and that is the only location where pain still exsists. I have an MRI scheduled so we will see.

Purple 36, thanks for the reading recommendation. Going to order it today.

Old 6 February 2017, 12:55
Social Claymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Chiropractors can certainly help but they're by no means necessarily safe when you have a herniated disc.

Like everyone else here said...go get an MRI.

In closing, back surgeries are complicated as well. I have two good friends who both had them done, twice each, and it was a disaster. Hooked on painkillers for years and real downward spiral while waiting for the DBA train to stop.

Right now, I know for a fact that I have herniated discs (L2 and L3). I'm trying my absolute best to work on core strength and constant forms of stretching (think hot yoga and inversion table) to avoid anything else. It's working but mileage drastically varies with back injuries.
Had a friend get the "laser spine surgery" as advertised on tv and he said he really good success with a relatively quick recovery.
Wife's been wanting me to do Pilates /yoga so I guess I'll need to look into it.

Old 6 February 2017, 22:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
It's the top of my left ass cheek, where it meets my lower back. It feels a lot like a deep tissue glute muscle.
It's been a few days and that is the only location where pain still exsists. I have an MRI scheduled so we will see.

Purple 36, thanks for the reading recommendation. Going to order it today.
I'm not betting on an SI strain because you said the pain was the shocking kind (a lot of the time SI strains are coupled with a burning/numbing type pain, with little shocks depending on how you move) but I wouldn't be surprised if it was. I've read that about a 1/4 of low back pain is actually SI joint pain (will have to find my source).

MRI is always that catch-all, which, hell I got one last year on my knee just to make sure nothing major was going on. I (and many more in my field) just don't agree with a lot of general medical practitioner's knee jerk reactions and prescriptions of unnecessary surgeries.

The body has this weird thing....where it can heal itself in certain situations the trick is just exposing your body to the stimulus that causes the body to react/adapt by rebuilding.

Our new posting rules