Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 7 February 2017, 07:28
Been There Done That

Guys...I' m fucked up from the upper thoracic to my ass with surgical hardware at L5-S1. It sucks. Good days bad days. Can't even change my own oil these days. Stooping over an engine kills me. You got to think ahead. Don't bend quickly. Think & Bend your knees, which are also fucked on me. Sleep however you can get comfortable & leave the pain pills alone or risk being another statistic.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 7 February 2017, 07:56
FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
It's the top of my left ass cheek, where it meets my lower back. It feels a lot like a deep tissue glute muscle.
It's possible that you have a frozen hip. I had the same thing. Sitting a lot can cause it. I had a it popped and then had to do some stretching exercises to keep it loose. It comes and goes when I don't take care of it and sit for extended periods of time.
Old 7 February 2017, 08:50
Been There Done That

4 back surgeries...they suck. But I must concur with stretching (and dropping a few pounds). I started doing Tai Chi, really helped me out...Good Luck!!
Old 7 February 2017, 10:39
Midgetologist

Possible Piriformis?
Old 7 February 2017, 12:13
Confirmed User

I have a herniated disc, but manage it through activity, stretching, kb's, chiropractic, etc. I may try bpc-157 for a shoulder injury, and I'm curious to see if it helps the disc....
Old 7 February 2017, 12:34
Swimming Upstream

https://www.google.com/search?q=phys...cQsAQIaQ&dpr=1
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 8 February 2017, 05:42
Been There Done That

My problem became very noticeable when my R leg started getting numb. Eventually, all the way to where my foot felt asleep. Surgery soon followed. Keeping muscle tone and working an injured area takes discipline. If you don't work it because it hurts or work it too hard you can hurt/re-injure it. Find what's right for you. Walking helps me. You don't have to do Kung Fu, but exercise it to strengthen the muscles that support your back.

Unless, it's just a muscular ache. Then disregard everything I said.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 8 February 2017, 09:54
As Above So Below

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
My problem became very noticeable when my R leg started getting numb. Eventually, all the way to where my foot felt asleep. Surgery soon followed. Keeping muscle tone and working an injured area takes discipline. If you don't work it because it hurts or work it too hard you can hurt/re-injure it. Find what's right for you. Walking helps me. You don't have to do Kung Fu, but exercise it to strengthen the muscles that support your back.

Unless, it's just a muscular ache. Then disregard everything I said.
One thing I dont see ever mentioned in these types of threads is how you will live after the surgery. Is your profession going to drive the injury on you again? I could tell you without a doubt that if I had surgery on ALL the herniated disks I have that my workplace would reinjure them again within 5 years. OSHA is dead. So, if you're going to have surgery, you should consider how MANY surgeries you can have before you retire.

I'm trying to hold on at least another 5 yrs.
Old 9 February 2017, 13:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
I have a herniated disc, but manage it through activity, stretching, kb's, chiropractic, etc. I may try bpc-157 for a shoulder injury, and I'm curious to see if it helps the disc....
My hamster will soon have feedback.
Old 9 February 2017, 13:27
Confirmed User

Has anyone got any experience with stem cell usage post-op (i.e. microdiscectomy)? I've been looking into it but would like some feedback from someone who has undergone the process.
Old 9 February 2017, 13:38
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering_idiot View Post
Has anyone got any experience with stem cell usage post-op (i.e. microdiscectomy)? I've been looking into it but would like some feedback from someone who has undergone the process.
Ive watched that done. It's super gross (when they do it from your blood), and expensive.
Old 9 February 2017, 15:53
I aim to misbehave

Herniated my L5/S1 a while back. I could barely walk; cried like a bitch getting into my truck...muscle spasms from my mid back down through my legs. Muscle relaxers, pain pills, plenty of rest, then a structured rehab plan got me back in the gym, but it took quite a while. Moral of the story: don't treat warmup weight like it doesn't matter. Squatting with bad technique can screw you over, even with tiny weights.

While true:
Continue
Old 9 February 2017, 16:21
Confirmed User

I work in the biz. You need a MRI. If you have a disc issue, the options range from PT to injections to surgery, with a couple of others thrown in. Surgery should always be the least option. You can't unoperate on a back, and one back surgery tends to turn into multiple.

Get a diagnosis first, then go from there. Disc bulge, radiculopathy, stenosis, muscle imbalance/strain, they all have similar symptoms, but the treatments are different.
Old 9 February 2017, 16:30
COL Quaritch is my CO

Might be Piriformis Syndrome. I had a touch of that due to a bad PLF back in 2009, and it took months for it to go away (much Physical Therapy and a shot of anesthesia into the piriformis itself).
Old 11 February 2017, 12:34
Authorized Personnel

I had the MRI 10 Years Ago

Discs..and its getting worse. I try not being a pussy and just suck it up. The pain isnt that bad but it never stops and wears on you. Tried the injections and dont want the surgery.
Old 11 February 2017, 14:42
Authorized Personnel

I have a bulged disk between L4-L5. So far the docs tell me the cure would be worse than the bulge. I know my limitations, stretch gently and completely, and whenever I get numbness or tingling in my legs (maybe 2x a year) I stop, stretch, and apply moist heat. I find what works best for me is to lie on the floor with my ass up against a chair, my calves and feet on the chair, and a wet wash cloth on a heating pad under my lower back. Seems the best way to get everything back in place.
Old 12 February 2017, 01:59
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
My hamster will soon have feedback.
Hammy took a dose and did not die yet, so that's good.

Info: https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/2016/05/how-to-use-bpc-157/
Old 13 February 2017, 08:45
I'm kind of a big deal

Blew out L2 4 years ago and it felt like I'd been shot in the back - I was looking for blood. Blew it almost all the way out. Ortho doc said to take it easy and see if it reseats itself on its own, and eventually it healed but I was in pain for months. 2 years later I blew L2-4 out to the point they were touching my spine! Finally got an MRI and the L2 and L3 discs were almost dead (no healing, surgery only). I was on PT for 8 months and now I have no pain - so that is a possible solution. Point being, don't wait - you could fuck yourself up even worse.
Old 13 February 2017, 11:35
Confirmed User

Might wanna try a drill like this a couple times a week, helps put the body in a more parasympathetic state and can help with recovery and pelvic stability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2OFz37JHug

Most everyone with back/hip issues can benefit from exercises like this. Quinn was my PT before he moved to California but he's a rehab genius for athletes or anyone that exercises often. Check out some of the rest of the videos on his channel too, lots of good content for guys/gals with nagging injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
I have a bulged disk between L4-L5. So far the docs tell me the cure would be worse than the bulge. I know my limitations, stretch gently and completely, and whenever I get numbness or tingling in my legs (maybe 2x a year) I stop, stretch, and apply moist heat. I find what works best for me is to lie on the floor with my ass up against a chair, my calves and feet on the chair, and a wet wash cloth on a heating pad under my lower back. Seems the best way to get everything back in place.
Old 18 February 2017, 20:09
Social Claymore

The doc is saying its a muscle imbalance. He said it was probably because I was trying to walk off a separate pulled muscle in the upper right portion back and I was offsetting it by allowing the lower left to take more of the strain. 800 mg Motrin, stretching, foam/PVC rollers and he recommended doing hot yoga. He also said to stop being a pussy.

Did I mention he was a USMC flight surgeon many moons ago

Needless to say, I'm gonna take him up on the advice. Thank you all for the advice and concern.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO

Our new posting rules