Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 7 March 2017, 09:33
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
Here is an article with more information:

https://www.revealnews.org/blog/hund...ed-colleagues/
Thanks for the link.
Old 7 March 2017, 09:39
Confirmed User

Disgusted. Utterly disgusted. I hope the hammer falls as appropriate.

So much for having each others' backs.
Old 7 March 2017, 09:58
Been There Done That

These jackasses need to have better SA and stop fucking each other over. So they need to suffer. That being said I am really glad that this technology wasn't prevalent when I was a junior Marine.

Between TJ, Pattaya Beach, Panama City FL, Ocean Side, Mission Beach, the Gaslamp District, Columbus GA, the Barracks.... I think that you get my point; I had a lot of fun on libo, well anytime I wasn't required to be doing something and I am really really glad that none of it is on the net.

The few times that I got caught being a jackass it was handled by the Company Gunny and I suffered for it but they kept it in house because the information was easily contained.

This is a leadership failure. Young Marines are jackasses and need to be taught how to fly under the radar and not be blue falcons.
Old 7 March 2017, 10:27
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark0311 View Post
This is a leadership failure. Young Marines are jackasses and need to be taught how to fly under the radar and not be blue falcons.
I am a big proponent of leadership and responsibility, but this isn't all on bad leadership. I'm glad I didn't have to depend on someone teaching me how to use my brain. They did what they did out of their personal choices. They should now pay for their actions without it being blamed on their leadership or their "not knowing" that their actions were those of clowns. Stupid actions reap painful results.
Old 7 March 2017, 10:40
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
They should now pay for their actions without it being blamed on their leadership or their "not knowing" that their actions were those of clowns. Stupid actions reap painful results.
They do need to pay. I said that twice but leadership needs to learn to adapt to this environment to prevent this level of escalation. It's just as important in the barracks as it is on the battlefield.
Old 7 March 2017, 10:50
Been There Done That

Dumbasses...
Old 7 March 2017, 10:51
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt648 View Post
Some of you guys live in la la land. Doing these type of pics is very common now days its the new normal. I really see nothing wrong with it. Now the hidden camera shit yea that is screwed up but the others well I have no sympathy for even for the pics hacked from social media sites. Very stupid to put nudes on the net or by text they never get deleted.

P.S. The pics are trickling in at 4chan. And at least one poster has the legitimate pics cause he posted a screen shot of a index from one of the groups.

Seems everyone wants these pics now, someone screwed up big time leaking this to the media.

Sweet, now imagine...it's your daughter or sister
Old 7 March 2017, 10:54
pumpin gas and kickin ass

Believeraz - Didn't think the majority did, but I appreciate you coming out and saying it.

To SB's point - the closed FB groups that now act as frontline outreach for veterans are a double edged sword. There is good and bad to them. My most serious concern with this particular instance is the posting of identifiable information, both individual and unit, and the clearly illicit nature of the aquisition of the material.

And the data warehousing of said material. And the scope of the sharing. And the encouragement to continue to contribute. Building out infrastructure to share this shit is significantly larger scope than just random nudie shots.

Yeah it will happen, but it is a total breakdown in personal discipline and should have the hammer dropped on it, in my opinion.

If we bitch about cops standing by and watching their fellows commit crime (which I do, and have on this board), we should hold ourselves to a similar standard (not saying that anyone is not saying that, just being clear).
Old 7 March 2017, 12:29
Still Learning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
The whole situation is fucked-up on a number of levels but I'm especially livid and disgusted by the fact that Marines would do this disrespectful shit to other Marines.
Completely agree with this assessment. Horrible.
Old 7 March 2017, 12:37
Confirmed User

Man, it's been a LONG time since some of y'all lived the barracks life.
Old 7 March 2017, 12:44
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
The whole situation is fucked-up on a number of levels but I'm especially livid and disgusted by the fact that Marines would do this disrespectful shit to other Marines.
X2!!! Not to derail, but when I was a Senior DI I had the honor of having the most "at risk" Drill Instructors assigned to me. I told them all on day one to crush the recruits, smoke them at every opportunity and push the SOP and safety limits to the edge of the envelope but if they EVER degraded a recruits human dignity or stole $$ from them that they would be better off dousing themselves in gasoline and reporting to the SgtMaj who had a Zippo lighter in his top drawer.

This is worse than pissing on a few Muj who had tried to kill them, these are Marines. FFS! Rant over.
Old 7 March 2017, 12:52
Make a desert and call it peace.

OK, if it was simply sharing happy snaps of chicks trying to impress dudes(this has been happening since the invention of personal cameras), there's no crime, just an Article 134 witch hunt for making the Corps look like ass in public in the age of the internet. This does not appear to be the limits of this event, at this time.

From what I'm reading, the real criminal issue is involuntary image collection, ie showers, heads etc as well as the resulting threats of violence to suppress the backlash when this low IQ stupidity was inevitably discovered by the morality squad.

The exchange of voluntary pictures (ie an internet hog board) should be distinct from the illicit collection of nude pictures, but I have the feeling this will not be the case.

Frankly, I have the sneaking suspicion that it's going to turn out that most(not all) of the females were willing participants in the photos at some point, and simply were not thinking with any sense of future time orientation. But due to the public outcry, with the resulting bureaucratic need for "something to be seen to be done!" this is going to result in the usual Corps wide jackassery. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 7 March 2017, 12:55
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post

Man, it's been a LONG time since some of y'all lived the barracks life.
Barracks life "then" or "now" has nothing to do with it; "boys will be boys" but that doesn't negate our Corps' principles of honor and fidelity. Any Marine who would knowingly and maliciously post nude pictures of WM's on the internet deserves a dishonorable discharge.

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."

Last edited by Shadow; 7 March 2017 at 13:02. Reason: Added emphasis
Old 7 March 2017, 13:06
Make a desert and call it peace.

Along with the WM who voluntarily participated in those nude photos? If not, why not? S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 7 March 2017, 13:06
Confirmed User

Man, I'm not saying it's right.........but, there were those Comm chicks at the stumps who did some stupid shit with us a few times.

Again, since I KNOW some of you guys have daughters and/or have been SNCOs since Jesus was a LCPL ---- I'm not saying it's right. BUT, if you've seen the pics (yes, I've seen some --- NO, I wasn't a part of the group) Some of these are WMs that willingly snapchatted their nudes to junior enlisted dudes. Same as the chicks of a similar age that do it in college to frat bros. WTF did they think was going to happen??

Hammer their asses for the criminal stuff. But let's not be under the illusion the backbone of the Corps isn't comprised of testosterone fueled idiots that have been doing this type of stuff long since anyone on this board wore the uniform........and will continue to do stuff long after we are dead and gone.

That being said, The criminal side of this needs to get investigated to it's full extent. If they got the pictures illicitly (I haven't seen those), then send 'em to the brig, because that's fucked up. For sure. But, as E5M said, no one should be even the least bit surprised that there's an internet hog board.
Old 7 March 2017, 13:20
Violent Social Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Wait, you say you were police in your profile? Figures.
What does that even mean?
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 7 March 2017, 13:34
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post

Along with the WM who voluntarily participated in those nude photos? If not, why not? S/F....Ken M
I'm not talking about Marines who uploaded pics of chicks who willingly took photos they knew were going to be posted online, I'm talking about those who posted pics that were taken from hacked accounts or otherwise obtained through illegal, surreptitious, or coercive means.

Anyone who falls into the latter category needs to be prosecuted and thrown the fuck out of the Corps most riki-tik...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 7 March 2017, 13:43
Another pool cleaner

It's about consent, privacy, and leadership.

And common sense.

Just what is the argument here?
Old 7 March 2017, 13:48
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
It's about consent, privacy, and leadership.

And common sense.

Just what is the argument here?
Spot on! Hard to argue with common sense.
Old 7 March 2017, 13:58
Darwin Award Presenter

Aside from the fact that this is an example of bad judgment on both parties, let's consider another angle. The PERSEC and security aspect. Some of these women had their personal data shared, addresses, etc. So let's imagine you are a hard core supporter of Sharia law, bent on doing some harm to US military personnel. By virtue of being female, showing your body, this adds up to putting yourself in the crosshairs.

This sentiment was a reply from a female Marine Captain. Pretty much steel on target for sure.

"What bothers me more than the actions of these few and the inaction of their small-unit leaders is the number of commenters here and other places justifying the FB page. These are weak, leaderless men, probably low performers afraid of being outpaced, denigrating women in order to feel superior. And doing it online with Internet bravado. Pathetic. Some of them may be teachable, will learn from this, and grow up to be worthy of the title, but they're not there yet."

Our new posting rules