Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 11 March 2017, 03:11
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

Nearly 30 years ago; 21 March 1987

Although the 30th anniversary of the crash and horrific deaths of both Capt. Ramon Ortiz, and Capt. Dean Paul Martin; Weapons System Operator and Pilot respectively, of "Grizzly 72" flight is nearing, there has been no formal remembrance of the tragic crash by the California Air National Guard, U.S. Air Force, nor March ARB
in Riverside, CA?

The crew, with entertainer Dean Martin's son- Capt. Dean Paul Martin piloting, took off from March AFB (Air Reserve Base now) to conduct training bombing runs at Mojave Desert that day on 21 March 1987. Their jet, designated Grizzly 72, slammed into a mountain side in the San Bernardino mountain range near Banning, CA.

There's just something very wrong about two Air Guard officers being forgotten and their story never being recollected or comemorated for all these years..

To the memory and reverance of the two Officers who gave their lives to the State and their country; To Grizzly 72 flight,.. 30 years gone but not one more forgotten.
Old 11 March 2017, 03:27
Confirmed User

A good buddy of mine is the deputy PAO at March. If you have any more info on the crew or the crash, send it to me, and I'll fire it off to him. Can't guarantee he'll be able to do anything, but it's worth a shot.
Old 11 March 2017, 07:05

I would be happy to fwd. info regarding 'seven- two' over to you ex-PH..it's the least I can do for these two guys, but so far results of my research into even general knowledge type info has been nil.

There's basically nothing archived as far as official documents from USAF on the www at present re. Crash findings, except for old news articles, death certs, and obit. pieces. No internet back in 1987 so not alot of researchable docs out there. I haven't tried FOIA accessing, but know others who have tried in the past resulted in limited or blocked access.

For reasons that are obvious but underlying, this event has been forgotten and will probably remain so due to its somewhat higher than normal profile pilot, and controvery involving his private/public life history. The fact that Capt. Ortiz got "caught up" in the middle of it all is not so much more of a tragedy (both ultimately paid that final price for their chosen love of flying) but rather his family will most likely never know why their husband/father/son..etc.. ended at the hands of Capt. Martin- he ultimately was responsible for his backseater, and it is unknown why neither pulled the handles to save themselves?

Sorry for the long- conspiracy theory like- post.

DCH.
Old 16 March 2017, 00:42

This is a new link on info from 2010 that popped up when I did another search;

http://forums.jetcareers.com/threads...nd-men.116479/

There are a couple more webpages regarding the crash that were not available until recently on google search.
Old 16 March 2017, 00:50
Been There Done That

I just found this.

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/21-march-1987/
Old 16 March 2017, 02:30

WGH0922, the link you posted was one that contained SAR personnel's direct account of looking for, finding, and recovering Grizzly 72.

Lots of loose ends, and just details that don't add up with this crash. I hope March ARB remembers them this coming 21 March.

Our new posting rules