Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 11 March 2017, 11:10
Been There Done That

Personal info ….. where do they get it?

Short story long:
I’ve been expecting an important package from FedEx, and I wanted a call from them prior to delivery so that I could be available to receive it. The only way to do this is to go on the FedEx site, and sign up as a “Receiving manager” …ok. no problem.

After entering name, address, phone etc.… I now get sent to a screen which asked me to verify my identity… this is where it gets bothersome.

1st question: Select your correct height… with four possible answers….one of them was correct.

2nd question: From the following select which vehicle is registered in your name… again one is correct.

3d question: What is your wife’s (Name given) birth month, again correct answer listed.

So, FedEx for sure knows my height, vehicle I drive, that I’m married, wife’s name and her date of birth.

This is FedEx for Christ’s sake, not the NSA or FBI, so where do they get it… I’m thinking DMV, and how do we stop this?
Old 11 March 2017, 12:56
Violent Social Worker

Credit reports and other sources.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 11 March 2017, 13:14
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH View Post
...how do we stop this?
You can't unscramble the egg. Privacy-activist types have been warning about this for a long time now, and were mostly ignored. Too late now.
Old 11 March 2017, 13:21
Confirmed User

Things you'd never think of, order a pizza and provide your address and phone number? The pizza place sells that info to marketing firms, fill out a survey to "win" something? More data collected.Join an alumni association or fraternal organization? That data is sold.
It never fucking ends
Old 11 March 2017, 13:32
Authorized Personnel

I stopped by a private shipping store (the ones that can ship via multiple means; FedEx, UPS, USPS, etc.) a few months ago to mail a package; mainly because it was on my way home. They wanted me to open an account; phone number, address, etc. before I could ship the box. When I asked why I needed to make an account; the post office doesn't need all that information, they gave me the blank stare. I think they were surprised that I walked out. I ended up going to the post office two miles down the road where they needed none of that stuff to mail my package.
Old 11 March 2017, 13:49
On the Razor's Edge

MDH, earlier today I filled out a document for my credit union online, but administered by DocuSign.com. It also asked some verification questions, i.e. previous address, vehicles owned, but the one that threw me was to confirm our daughter's birthday (she is 46 years old). WTF?

Maybe the CIA tapped into my smart TV.
Old 11 March 2017, 14:39
Been There Done That

Yea, I get the credit check angle, but I’ve been banking with the same Credit Union for 30 years, loans, credit cards etc.… all thru one credit union, they don’t have to do a credit check…they are it. Never applied anywhere else.

I don’t Facebook (yes, I’m that guy), no twitter etc.…

And the fact that FedEx knows my height: 6’2… WTF

So, the only places I can think of that they can get that is DMV, or Medical…. Both would be upsetting and possibly illegal.
Old 11 March 2017, 15:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH View Post
Yea, I get the credit check angle, but I’ve been banking with the same Credit Union for 30 years, loans, credit cards etc.… all thru one credit union, they don’t have to do a credit check…they are it. Never applied anywhere else.

I don’t Facebook (yes, I’m that guy), no twitter etc.…

And the fact that FedEx knows my height: 6’2… WTF

So, the only places I can think of that they can get that is DMV, or Medical…. Both would be upsetting and possibly illegal.
Credit unions are notorious for selling your information, you ever received "discount life insurance" mailers that say "special offer for being a member of XYZ credit union"? Or similar shit? same thing with Sam's Club and Costco

Oh yeah, get your free copy of your credit report and see who's been looking at it, I bet your credit union runs a check every so often.
Old 11 March 2017, 15:50
In Vino Veritas

The next big thing is "big data". EVERYTHING will be for sale, EVERYTHING...
Old 11 March 2017, 17:11
Old and Grumpy

I am occasionally asked for verification information to sign electronic construction contracts. Some of the questions asked are downright scary about how much information they have on me.
Old 11 March 2017, 17:19
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
The next big thing is "big data". EVERYTHING will be for sale, EVERYTHING...
I thought it already was...
Old 11 March 2017, 18:24
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post

I thought it already was...
It is, don't be fooled. Privacy is dead.

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 12 March 2017, 12:10
Authorized Personnel

The thing that bugs me in the name of "security" are the "challenge questions" - street where you were born, first pet, mother's maiden name, etc.

Problem is it seems that no matter which site you go to that has them they're all pretty much the same questions - so if one site gets hacked the answers can be used on any other site.

All my answers are made the fuck up. However that doesn't go far enough, so I switch my answers around. "Street you grew up on?" A: Alphabet. On another site "Alphabet" I use as the answer to "Name of your first pet" -- in my mind it's like having a security sign in your yard, you may not even have a system but it might give a thief pause to move on. If they do hack a site and get my challenge answers, they wouldn't work on another one.

We put information out everywhere and like noted above, that shit is sold, hacked, etc, etc.
Old 12 March 2017, 13:05
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

I'm betting its deeper than just present personal info; what if they can PREDICT what a person's future taxable income is based on his/her current education, income, retirement fund, children/ grand children's potential income..all to calculate how much the government can make off of your typical family income. Just sayin'.
Old 12 March 2017, 13:50
Confirmed User

If you are using 'free' Google or Yahoo Email services (as two examples) you should understand that they are data mining your messages and contact lists. I was always had the vague idea that they could do that but then slowly began to notice that whenever I bought something off of Amazon, a sales notice arrived in my Email and then all of a sudden I was seeing advertisements associated with that item. I also didn't like the way both companies were taking advantage of my contact lists and so I finally deleted that information. The last straw for me came when I was giving a nephew detailed advice on piece of equipment for backpacking in a lengthy message. Advertisements for that item quickly appeared on browser. I've now switched to a pay for Email service with an Australian company that keeps it servers outside of the U.S. So, if you're wondering where all that personal data is coming from, consider your own Email as one of the possibilities. Those free services actually have a steep price.
Old 12 March 2017, 14:11
Did...did I do that?

One of you just confirmed your height here, in a publicly available forum. Google indexes (most of?) this site, assuming there aren't password-protected or secret areas I don't know about. So anything you mention even on a site like SOCNET gets indexed, and there are bots crawling sites like this just for that reason.

And several DMVs sell your info, and have for years.
Old 12 March 2017, 14:44
Been There Done That

Your cell phone number is the new Social Security Number....with far less requirements. They aren't asking for a cell number because someone is going to call you. They are asking because it's a way to uniquely identify...you.

...and those facebook memes that insist that you "share if you agree" are better off left for just nodding in agreement and moving along to the next posts. Sharing on FB says lots about you and your beliefs. Often, too much.

ETA - a quick google search turned up this gem of an article: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/13/b...life.html?_r=0

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 12 March 2017, 14:54
Confirmed User

CELL Phone I tell them I don't have one, or I give them some one else's phone number. Height & weight they will never get it right because I Lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDragLowSpeed View Post
Your cell phone number is the new Social Security Number....with far less requirements. They aren't asking for a cell number because someone is going to call you. They are asking because it's a way to uniquely identify...you.

...and those facebook memes that insist that you "share if you agree" are better off left for just nodding in agreement and moving along to the next posts. Sharing on FB says lots about you and your beliefs. Often, too much.

ETA - a quick google search turned up this gem of an article: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/13/b...life.html?_r=0
Old 12 March 2017, 16:10
Life is simple, not easy.

Slightly different example. I was at doctors office Friday to get blood pressure refilled/6 mos checkup and admin asked me to fill out another personal/medical insurance information form "since it's been 16 mos since we asked."

Second page was a request to release any and all info regarding addiction treatment, mental health examinations/treatment, and related prescriptions. She asks me "where is the second form" and I told her I'm not providing you permission for any of that stuff.

She starts to inquire a tad sternly why not and I mentioned if I ever need to release that info it will be case by case - IF needed.

PA must have found out because he was a bit dickish to me. I freely admit I'm overly hawkish (paranoid) about keeping my info private, but this pissed me off for some reason.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 12 March 2017, 17:20
Confirmed User

I thought using a fake dob and not putting work etc. on FB was going to help. Still waiting for retina scanners in Kroger like in Minority Report.

Our new posting rules