Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 12 March 2017, 17:35
Swimming Upstream

It's not a total solution, but SudoApp and Privacy.com help with this...additional phone numbers/email addresses and throw away credit cards with whatever name/address you decide to make.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 13 March 2017, 01:06
Red Headed Stepchild

Timely thread, I just encountered this the other day when resetting a password on a site that had absolutely no reason to have the information that they did.
Old 13 March 2017, 03:30
jump fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Timely thread, I just encountered this the other day when resetting a password on a site that had absolutely no reason to have the information that they did.
Yup. Craziness.
Grief comes, but time will ease the pain.
Life ends, but death cannot erase it.
In memory, they will always remain.
Old 13 March 2017, 09:51
Ungood

It's fairly frightening just how much information is out there about you. Every time you sign a document, there is usually an accompanied disclosure. In that disclosure is language that can (and usually does) permit the organization do do as they please with your personal information, including resell it (big money).

I got in to it recently with a medical office because of this. I refused to sign the standard release form, and they said they would refuse service. I started asking specific questions about the language that was on their form, and they quickly waived the requirement for me (others were in the waiting room with perked ears).

It is what it is. The world now is dominated by big-data. Too few people know just how far the rabbit hole goes.
Old 13 March 2017, 10:07
A lost ball in high weeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
It's not a total solution, but SudoApp and Privacy.com help with this...additional phone numbers/email addresses and throw away credit cards with whatever name/address you decide to make.
A bank I know has a Shop Safe service that provides burner credit card numbers. It's great for subscription services and online orders.
Old 13 March 2017, 11:55
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
It is what it is. The world now is dominated by big-data. Too few people know just how far the rabbit hole goes.
I was surfing Amazon on my computer - not signed in, but they keep cookies. So while I could browse for things if I went to actually buy them it would require me to sign in, even though the "page" has the "Welcome, KidA" thing at the top.

I use FB on my phone, not on the computer. My FB sign in has the same email address however.

Lo and behold less than an hour later I was getting targeted ads for fucking fuel filters, the same thing I was looking for on Amazon, right in the middle of my FB feed.
Old 13 March 2017, 12:23
Ungood

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
I was surfing Amazon on my computer - not signed in, but they keep cookies. So while I could browse for things if I went to actually buy them it would require me to sign in, even though the "page" has the "Welcome, KidA" thing at the top.

I use FB on my phone, not on the computer. My FB sign in has the same email address however.

Lo and behold less than an hour later I was getting targeted ads for fucking fuel filters, the same thing I was looking for on Amazon, right in the middle of my FB feed.
That's probably the most common effect of how easy it is to track your patterns of life. Your phone is the worst offender, as it can seamlessly stream all forms of information, including geolocation with your GPS turned off.

It's hard to say whether we're headed for any meaningful reform. Too much money and power in play.
Old 13 March 2017, 14:28
True Origin Not Known

I was fighting the power back in the day. I remember the first time I went into Radio Shack for some AAA batteries and they asked for my phone number. I don't want to post crude language here, so I will paraphrase, I said "NO". That was a LONG time ago.

Are you fucking serious? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week...and I'm at a senior staff planning conference, so, the bar has been set pretty high. You should be proud. - Gavin
Old 13 March 2017, 14:50
pumpin gas and kickin ass

In digital marketing speak, its 'retargeting'. Not only will they grab your volunteered info, but they can also build out profiles based on device ID (cell phone, computer etc) but ALSO router AND modem.

Its pretty easy to collate browsed sites from a single household. Not even browsed sites, but depending on the platforms you are using (Chrome, Gmail etc) the words you are typing into individual data fields.

So even if you provide fake info from site to site, you are still conducting activity out of the same IP address (Router and Modem). So when you look at something in Amazon on your computer, and then switch to Facebook on your phone, but you are still on the same router, they can still build a profile off of you. On top of that, they are gating access to the info you want through various odd questions etc. to refine and defeat the bad data people feed the system.

If you are using fake data, and not changing it every time, you will still be building a profile that could be linked to your preferred places of access to the internet. And then you just need one slip at a Starbucks or Airport wifi, and you close the loop with a firm target ID. All automatically.

And don't think that the 'they' is a human. It will typically be an algorithm of some kind that a Google or Bing or Facebook built the framework for, for advertisers to deploy their ads into.

The tech world feels it is not an invasion of privacy UNTIL they link your actual name to the browsing/activity history. Which means that any known data point will get linked by 'Big Data' to other known data points and build out your profile, all automated.

Add the self volunteered info, add the public information getting pushed online, and you quickly get refined data with creepy accuracy.
Old 13 March 2017, 14:53
Confronting the Reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Raider View Post
I was fighting the power back in the day. I remember the first time I went into Radio Shack for some AAA batteries and they asked for my phone number. I don't want to post crude language here, so I will paraphrase, I said "NO". That was a LONG time ago.
Had that experience at a Cabelas a few years ago, but a more fun conclusion. A dude two people ahead of me gets to the cash register to buy a #10 of Mountain House. Middle aged dude and going to pay in cash. The 19-year-old clerk asks for his phone number. The guy looks around at us with a 'seriously? Do I have to do this here too?' look.

I offered up his telephone number: 867-5309. The guy between us is watching, and at this bursts out laughing. Took the customer a second or two, and then he got it and started laughing too. The clerk was baffled, but he entered the number in. Then we all talked about not giving up personal information if one can help it.

Fake phone numbers, and opayq email addresses are the way to go for some of this stuff. I like the idea of challenging the standard release publicly.
Old 13 March 2017, 15:02
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage12 View Post

...867-5309...
For at least the last 10 years, that's the number I've offered whenever I've been asked for one by a retailer or other non-essential entity.

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 13 March 2017, 15:09
pumpin gas and kickin ass

Add the area code in front of it, and it never fails.

I did this at I think it was Petco, and they turned the display and asked 'Are you Jim, or Eric, or John? Prolly not Veronica or Megan?'. Good times.
Old 13 March 2017, 15:17
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitforjonny View Post
In digital marketing speak, its 'retargeting'. Not only will they grab your volunteered info, but they can also build out profiles based on device ID (cell phone, computer etc) but ALSO router AND modem.

Its pretty easy to collate browsed sites from a single household. Not even browsed sites, but depending on the platforms you are using (Chrome, Gmail etc) the words you are typing into individual data fields. And it worries my paranoid side.

So even if you provide fake info from site to site, you are still conducting activity out of the same IP address (Router and Modem). So when you look at something in Amazon on your computer, and then switch to Facebook on your phone, but you are still on the same router, they can still build a profile off of you. On top of that, they are gating access to the info you want through various odd questions etc. to refine and defeat the bad data people feed the system.

If you are using fake data, and not changing it every time, you will still be building a profile that could be linked to your preferred places of access to the internet. And then you just need one slip at a Starbucks or Airport wifi, and you close the loop with a firm target ID. All automatically.

And don't think that the 'they' is a human. It will typically be an algorithm of some kind that a Google or Bing or Facebook built the framework for, for advertisers to deploy their ads into.

The tech world feels it is not an invasion of privacy UNTIL they link your actual name to the browsing/activity history. Which means that any known data point will get linked by 'Big Data' to other known data points and build out your profile, all automated.

Add the self volunteered info, add the public information getting pushed online, and you quickly get refined data with creepy accuracy.
All that kind of stuff fascinates the shit out of me from a purely analytical standpoint. It also pisses me off that it's done without anyone's permission on a, literal, industrial scale.

I read this article a while back and that's when it hit home regarding how crazy this stuff can get.

How Target Figured Out A Teen Girl Was Pregnant Before Her Father Did

Then, two years later

What’s Even Creepier Than Target Guessing That You’re Pregnant?

What was that old 'man tracking' line about people being creatures of habit that usually returned to familiar and personally enjoyable haunts.........and usually investigators would set up surveillance at those places where they suspected a wanted individual would be?

Anyway, really interesting.
Old 13 March 2017, 15:24
Been There Done That

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZEJ4OJTgg8

Pretty much sums it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 13 March 2017, 15:29

About a month ago my buddy and his wife had a screaming match over some kind of typical marital subject. Apparently, the "Lexa" thingy was on in the house and listening because both of them got a series of emails over the next couple of days trying to sell them marriage counseling services.

I told him his perceived irrationality is now flagged on file as a question mark for his next firearms purchase. The "Lexa" tower was out of the house shortly thereafter.
Old 13 March 2017, 16:20
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post

You can create alternate Am. accounts as well using Sudo and burner cards. PM if interested.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 13 March 2017, 16:22
Swimming Upstream

Don't use your real phone number for any of the stuff you sign up for...use different email accounts for the various sites you use and keep the one for your friends as a totally separate address.
Old 13 March 2017, 17:05
Confirmed User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Don't use your real phone number for any of the stuff you sign up for...use different email accounts for the various sites you use and keep the one for your friends as a totally separate address.
That why I use EarthLink, for my email account, Thy give me 10 emails that I can use that are not connected to my regular email account. When I search the web an have to put an email address in I will use one of them. After I am done with the with site I just delete the email address. No return emails an my personal email account is safe.
Old 13 March 2017, 17:13
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveBoss View Post
...your post...
Creepy, but no more than being in side swipe accident pre Stretch even owns a computer, and receiving a mailbox full of solicitations from the local tort lawyers...

The data has always been around, it is just being processed fasterer....
Old 13 March 2017, 17:15
Confirmed User

You know how you put papers an things in the recycle trash can. In Sacramento CA. they were using the prison in mates to separate the RECYCLE the trash. A lot of individuals throw away all kinds of papers that have there personnel info on it. Some of that Information was getting out to the wrong people on the out side.

I sheared old bill, etc that have my name , address, phoned# an any other personnel information on it.

ONCE you put it in the trash any one can look at it, Police don't need to have a warrant to go thru your trash.

Our new posting rules