Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 12 March 2017, 15:08
Confirmed User

Are Most Mobile Hotspots Locked To A Specific Carrier?

I am considering a mobile hotspot for AT&T. Does anybody happen to know if most of them are carrier locked, like cell phones are? And, if they are, would it be worthwhile to get one that is already unlocked? To ask this another way, would a T-Mobile SIM card, in an AT&T mobile hotspot, still be able to get high speed data? Would it have some of the bands that T-Mobile uses for LTE?

I am looking at the AT&T Unite Explore made by Netgear.

https://www.att.com/devices/att/unit...JsBZQ0hAYUiY7Q

http://www.netgear.com/home/products...ts/AC815S.aspx
Old 13 March 2017, 09:54
Ungood

They are just like cell-phones and tend to be chained to a carrier. You can find unlocked hotspot devices, just like phones though.

The same benefits apply in that you can use different carriers in an unlocked device. You should be fine as far as speeds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 14 March 2017, 05:19
Authorized Personnel

How heavy a use are you l looking for? I use my phone quote a bit, am happy with it, and don't have to carry an extra device.
Old 14 March 2017, 12:37
Confirmed User

Are Most Mobile Hotspots Locked To A Specific Carrier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryfen-FL View Post
How heavy a use are you l looking for? I use my phone quote a bit, am happy with it, and don't have to carry an extra device.
I am not really that heavy of a user, but for the $20.00 per month for unlimited AT&T data, it will be worth it to me when I travel to areas that don't have Verizon coverage or just to supplement with additional data. I love to go ATVing. One of the places that I like the best for ATVing has no Verizon coverage, but it does have excellent AT&T coverage.

Our new posting rules