Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 16 March 2017, 15:00
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Students who were diagnosed as ADD and fed Ritalyn at other schools seem to do just fine there without the drugs. They have these cool new concepts called recess and PE that allows kids to burn off excess energy. It's a breakthrough concept. There is a minimum GPA required
To your point re: recess:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2016/09/13/recess-four-times-a-day-why-some-schools-are-now-letting-kids-play-an-hour-a-day/?utm_term=.f243d4762603

Kids are not wired to sit still for 6-8 hours a day. Adults aren't either, and all of us--EVERY single one of us--have jobs or have had jobs where we can move. Even 9-5 office drones can get up, stretch their legs, take a piss, grab coffee.
Old 16 March 2017, 15:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
Kids are not wired to sit still for 6-8 hours a day. Adults aren't either, and all of us--EVERY single one of us--have jobs or have had jobs where we can move. Even 9-5 office drones can get up, stretch their legs, take a piss, grab coffee.
Dang. My parents had me on Ritalin for about 6 weeks before my dad refused to let me take it anymore. That shit made me a freaking zombie. I mean, don't get me wrong, that stuff made me WANT to sit there and do math problems.......but damn it really was something that put me down like a mule.
Old 16 March 2017, 17:12
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark0311 View Post
The median pay in the US was $36,200 in 2015. The median teachers salary (HS) was $56,200 in 2015.
Is that the median for all Americans or for Americans with bachelor's degrees?
Quote:
Someone complains that the small school system, the #1 academic school in the state, is under-represented by black students. So, the state gets involved and tells the large school system that the state will pay for them to bus some of their black students the 5 miles to the small school system. The large school even gets to choose which black students they want to send. So, the large school obviously decides to get rid of the worst of the worst of their problem children.
If you pee in a bucket of clean water, the water is now completely contaminated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestboy View Post
I substitute teach occasionally at our local high school.
That's got to be interesting.
Quote:
Without a degree I take home about $60 for a full day. Even with a degree you are looking at $80/day. The school cannot understand why they cannot get quality substitutes.
Our daughter did this some after college to make extra coin. I think she was bringing home $90 a day. Our county is in the highest 15 in the nation for income, and we don't pay substitute teachers but $10 an hour.

EDIT: We're #6; I just checked...
Old 16 March 2017, 17:19
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Dang. My parents had me on Ritalin for about 6 weeks
No way..........
Who'd have thunk
Old 16 March 2017, 17:28
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Dang. My parents had me on Ritalin for about 6 weeks before my dad refused to let me take it anymore. That shit made me a freaking zombie. I mean, don't get me wrong, that stuff made me WANT to sit there and do math problems.......but damn it really was something that put me down like a mule.
Do you still have that prescription?
Old 16 March 2017, 17:32
The Sagacious One

Quote:
So that begs the question, why are teachers so underpaid? An honest answer to that question will answer a lot of other questions as well.
$56k / 9 = $6,222/Month

$6,222 x 12 = $74,664.00
Old 16 March 2017, 17:35
#AllLionsMatter

Country voice speaking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
No way..........
Who'd have thunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Do you still have that prescription?
Oh lordy be....

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 16 March 2017, 17:36
Confirmed User

It would actually have the opposite effect than what you think. I would just post way more hateful shit, just in a longer, colder, and more verbose manner.

I swear to God, I'm actually a really calm guy........I just write like a psycho.
Old 16 March 2017, 17:38
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
It would actually have the opposite effect than what you think. I would just post way more hateful shit, just in a longer, colder, and more verbose manner.

I swear to God, I'm actually a really calm guy........I just write like a psycho.
So, what you're saying is that you are a poser....
Old 16 March 2017, 17:39
Confirmed User

Well, I prefer the term "high-functioning sociopath".
Old 16 March 2017, 17:40
#AllLionsMatter

Thumbs up AMEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
To your point re: recess:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2016/09/13/recess-four-times-a-day-why-some-schools-are-now-letting-kids-play-an-hour-a-day/?utm_term=.f243d4762603

I said this the other day....

"Kids use too cut grass, raked leaves, shoveled snow, delivered newspapers, played dodge ball, had gym class, amongst other shit...sleep came easy at the end of day...."

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 16 March 2017, 17:43
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post

"Kids use too cut grass, raked leaves, shoveled snow, delivered newspapers..........."

Back in the 1970s and 80s, you know what the name was for illegal aliens? Teenagers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 16 March 2017, 17:45
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
I also know that in the charter school that has been established where I grew up in Louisiana, parents must sign a waiver allowing the school to administer corporal punishment as they deem fit. No ass-whipping waiver, your kid doesn't go to school there. Shockingly, as a result, the kids tend to be well-behaved across the board and there are very few instances of corporal punishment needing to be used. Students who were diagnosed as ADD and fed Ritalyn at other schools seem to do just fine there without the drugs. They have these cool new concepts called recess and PE that allows kids to burn off excess energy. It's a breakthrough concept. There is a minimum GPA required to play sports or any other recreational activity. Over 95% of graduates who want to go on to college are accepted.
We have three Charter schools built and owned by the same company you show in your picture in my city. They have outstanding overall rankings, no problems with the kids, and a waiting list that has no end. I with there were more of them as they don't play games with the kids nor do they allow games to be played by kids. You become a problem...you are dealt with and dropped from the school. Don't want to learn, don't go there then because it's expected that if you attend, you want to learn.
Old 16 March 2017, 17:57
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
$56k / 9 = $6,222/Month

$6,222 x 12 = $74,664.00
I never had 3 months off in the summer. I never had two months off in the summer, either. At most I had about 5-6 weeks off, max, and never in a block. It was doled out in one or two week chunks. Mandatory "inservice opportunities."

And the salary was spread out over 12 months, which made the monthly check less than it would have been otherwise.

It's good to be retired...
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 16 March 2017, 18:16
FIDO

Quote:

"Kids use too cut grass, raked leaves, shoveled snow, delivered newspapers, played dodge ball, had gym class, amongst other shit...sleep came easy at the end of day...."
Don't forget we did chores. I can't believe how many kids now do not have any chores. Mommy and daddy do it all!
Old 16 March 2017, 19:21
The atomic zit

Thumbs up

Quote:

When I was a kid, I did all of that; expect throwing paper. Dad threw paper in the 50s. He bought nicer shirts than his father would for him. I bought what I wanted and never heard a word.

Earn your place. I know I did.
Old 17 March 2017, 03:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
I did all of that; expect throwing paper.
Ye, I'm amazed at how many kids today forget what a great learning value and simple fun such earning your allowance for yourself can be. Or maybe they are more interested in trying to bully their parents into buying them whatever they want.

It's that isolation and virtual relationships that many kids grow up in nowadays that causes them to become socially unadjusted people. When you had to earn money yourself you not only appreciated how much hard work is needed for those lil coins and papers. You also interacted with all kinds of people and learned to behave, to engage in conversation, sometimes to defuse situations. You were largely unprotected. When I washed cars as a kid I was about 6 kilometres from my home alone with my buddy, two buckets and a bunch of sponges on a huge parking lot full of Russians, Lithuanians, Belarussians, Gypsies and Poles from entire country. Sometimes you had to run as fast as you could and sometimes somebody not only paid you money but also gave you some sweets or said a nice word. You learned people, learned to BE with people. And it definitely helped me in my growing up process.

Many people today fail to realize that we are all students and teachers, and priority teaching goes on at home. Yet many parents dont teach and raise their kids now; they breed them. These kids, even though they could've been normal given right circumstances, become so-called problem kids. Problem children on the other hand can revert back to normal kids if properly taught and raised, or progress into pathologically deviated teenagers, unfit for society, unable to be reshaped back into healthy people, with criminal record and no bright future. Who is supposed to help them?

Apaprently these very same parents who breed their children instead of rasing them expect THE SCHOOL to do all the work for them. A poster "problem child" goes to school, gets into all sorts of trouble and his/her parents blame who? The school. not themselves, no no. And that very school should not only shut up and "just teach", but cannot even put a hand on that brat. It's violence! The law! It's against the law! My poor kid! He/she is so sweet at home, how come these MONSTERS at school hurt it?

Sometimes I think that instead of rocking the boat with endless discussions about how teachers should teach in accordance to "diversity", "gender" etc and how the teachers are paid too much for being sleazy a-holes or paid to little for being martyrs, the society as a whole should go back to basics and RAISE ITS KIDS UP PROPERLY FROM THE BEGINNING. If a kid is taught respect and properly guided by parents, he/she will be a joy to work with at school.

Back when I was in school, even most hardcore wannabe tough kids feared teachers and were scared s...less at prospect of going to school principal. Our school principal was a former military man who had very simple methods of adjusting stray pups without all that PC bull (a good slap or good pinning to the wall and putting fear of God into you always worked).

And you know what was the best part? Parents actually CONDONED that back then! A problematic kid did not find an "ally" in his/her parents in his/her imagined "war" against teachers. Actually what that kid could observe was an uniform stance from parents and teachers alike. You could run back to mommy after your bottom received a thorough beating and cry about teacher slapping you, and she would reply: "Good, If I was there I'd slap you too. Next time behave like a human being". So your young mind began to adjust, very slowly, at first out of fear but then something started to dawn at you - maybe they are right and I am wrong? Granted, there still were rotten apples that could not be adjusted or brought up rpoprly. But they usually were from pathological families and behavior and lifestyle of their parents effectively nullified all the work school did.

Kids look up to their parents for guidance. If a teacher tries to put a student in his/her place and his/her parents blame the teacher instead of helping him and supporting him, the kid automatically deduces that if even his/her parents are against teacher, then that teacher surely must be wrong or worse. A simple mechanism, basic psychology. More often than not I see not cooperation, but fights between school and parents with confused, lost kids in between.
Old 17 March 2017, 08:56
Clorox bearer for SOTB

When you take into account the fact that teachers get no overtime, no holiday pay... for my wife, there is no such thing as an 8 hour day. She also spends hours on weekends grading, every weekend. So, the summers off are a small compensation for the extra time and effort she puts in during the school year. Not to mention the supplies she buys herself to teach her students cultural things.

A lot of people think that when the school day ends, teachers turn off, not to return until the next school day. Not true, and this is only the case in her job. I don't think there are many other jobs that require time after the 8 hour workday, just to break even with the work required for the job. Do all teachers do this? The good ones do. Not to mention putting up with shit constantly from admin, parents of retards, retards, and drugged up retards.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 17 March 2017, 10:17
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog18b View Post
When you take into account the fact that teachers get no overtime, no holiday pay... for my wife, there is no such thing as an 8 hour day. She also spends hours on weekends grading, every weekend. So, the summers off are a small compensation for the extra time and effort she puts in during the school year. Not to mention the supplies she buys herself to teach her students cultural things.

A lot of people think that when the school day ends, teachers turn off, not to return until the next school day. Not true, and this is only the case in her job. I don't think there are many other jobs that require time after the 8 hour workday, just to break even with the work required for the job. Do all teachers do this? The good ones do. Not to mention putting up with shit constantly from admin, parents of retards, retards, and drugged up retards.
My father was a Jr/Sr High industrial arts teacher for 34 years. He spent at least half of the summer ordering supplies, doing inventory, getting the machine shop and wood shop machines in order, etc. Though he was paid pretty decent, but at the time he was working at one of the highest paid school corporations in the state of Indiana, and he maxed out on the pay scale since he had a PhD (in vocational education).

You also forgot all the football, basketball games, dances, and other school functions that teachers are asked to participate in, chaperon. Teaching is not just a profession, it becomes a lifestyle.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 17 March 2017, 13:05
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog18b View Post

I have no problem paying quality money for quality teachers/teaching. I'm one of those saps that believes teaching is a calling. Not my calling, thank God. I have issues paying good money for quality teachers and getting teachers that don't care anymore. I also feel the same way about half ass law enforcement/soldiers/firemen/etc. If you aren't giving 100% at your profession, move on.

Our new posting rules