Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 17 March 2017, 13:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
My father was a Jr/Sr High industrial arts teacher for 34 years. He spent at least half of the summer ordering supplies, doing inventory, getting the machine shop and wood shop machines in order, etc. Though he was paid pretty decent, but at the time he was working at one of the highest paid school corporations in the state of Indiana, and he maxed out on the pay scale since he had a PhD (in vocational education).

You also forgot all the football, basketball games, dances, and other school functions that teachers are asked to participate in, chaperon. Teaching is not just a profession, it becomes a lifestyle.
My wife was a half-time English teacher at one of the largest high schools in the state. Lesson planning, grading, dealing with parents, and extracurricular activities turned it into a 50+ hour a week job. After a few years and long conversations with several of the more senior teachers, she left and went back to working for the gov.

What was amazing was how many teachers told her if they didn't have 20+ years in the profession and the same opportunities, they would do the same. Being in close proximity to a teacher really opens one's eyes to how messed up that profession has become courtesy of politics (left and right) and big business.
Old 17 March 2017, 13:22
Authorized Personnel

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
I have no problem paying quality money for quality teachers/teaching. I'm one of those saps that believes teaching is a calling. Not my calling, thank God. I have issues paying good money for quality teachers and getting teachers that don't care anymore. I also feel the same way about half ass law enforcement/soldiers/firemen/etc. If you aren't giving 100% at your profession, move on.
Like...like...like....
Old 17 March 2017, 14:26
Confirmed User

The last couple of posts on what is required of a teacher out of the classroom are all on target. To have any significant impact in properly teaching and engaging students in today's harsh educational environment (budget cuts, policy changes, classroom management, etc), it takes a major personal sacrifice of time, money and patience. Most if not all of that happening outside of classroom hours--nights, weekends, holidays and summer time.

With many schools implementing technology (tablets,desktops), there is only one person responsible for converting ALL the paper learning material into digital files-the teacher. That's just one extra thing they have to do now, in addition to everything else previously required.

ETA. But if a teacher does not do any of the above, and gets decent pay, yeah it can be a lucrative career. They just sit back and relax and do nothing. Except, voice their opinions to student's on current affairs, boast about their graduate degrees, and get involved with educational programs that come up with new ideas every 6 months. Sad state of affairs.

Last edited by Instruct1; 17 March 2017 at 14:35.
Old 17 March 2017, 16:27
Been There Done That

Hmmm...... good place to put I guess. Just saw this. What Japanese children are required to do in school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv4oNvxCY5k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 17 March 2017, 16:39
Spice Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Hmmm...... good place to put I guess. Just saw this. What Japanese children are required to do in school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv4oNvxCY5k
It's lacist to imply that Japanese children are only good enough to be janitors.

Although I laughed my head off after seeing a toy janitorial cart advertisement with--you guessed it--a picture of a Hispanic girl on it.
Old 17 March 2017, 17:28
killjoy

I started laughing right away when I saw the kids deck toweling like they mean it. But then shortly after I saw some that allowed their knees to touch the ground and felt a little disappointed.

No slacking!

Our new posting rules