Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 15 March 2017, 17:40
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

NCAA Tournament

I enjoy watching sporadically, especially those games where a low seeded David gives a high ranked Goliath a run for their money. And this year we have a local team in it (NU, for the first time in the tourney's 78 year history). DePaul, of course, is but a shell of its former basketball self.

Anybody out there have a rooting interest, or a pick for the final four? I haven't really looked at all the teams yet, I always like watching the first round to see a bracket busting 16th seed take down a favorite. I know some people who are so into this thing that they turn their living room into NCAA Tournament Central, with 4 or 5 TVs hooked up and playing every game on. Kind of funny how the NCAA tournament, which started out almost as a consolation tourney, would go on to usurp the NIT, which was the big tournament back in the day.
Old 15 March 2017, 17:52
The atomic zit

I will see if I can watch NCCU v UC Davis. It ain't on regular TV channels.

There is no one in the tourney from North Carolina I like, except for NCCU.

GO EAGLES!!!

Last edited by Stretch; 15 March 2017 at 17:57.
Old 15 March 2017, 17:59
Did...did I do that?

Would like to see my Wolverines go all the way, but I'm not expecting them to get much past Regionals at the moment.
Old 15 March 2017, 18:10
Confirmed User

Nova for the repeat.
Old 15 March 2017, 18:12
Confirmed User

My team, NV Wolf Pack, is in for the first time since 2007. We're a 12 seed playing 5th seeded Iowa St. I'm really hoping for one of those famous 12-5 upsets.

I'm still toying with my bracket, but right now my final four picks are Duke, Arizona, Kansas and North Carolina. Those picks, and a few others, may change before the games start tomorrow.

Good luck to any of you in a bracket challenge.
Old 15 March 2017, 18:20

NU is expected to get by their first round opponent, but if they do they'll probably have to play Gonzaga, the #1 seed in their bracket. Unless Gonzaga winds up losing their first game, which is highly doubtful.
Old 15 March 2017, 22:16
Confirmed User

All I can say is I'm so sick of hearing about Gonzaga and their highschool conference they play in. Last time they were a 1 seed they damn near got beat by a 16th seed and did get beat by a 8th seed. Zero final four appearances. I could go on and on.
Old 16 March 2017, 12:21
Authorized Personnel

Go Noles! However, the way we've played on the road versus at home does not give me a warm fuzzy. Will be happy and surprised if we make to the Sweet 16. Fingers crossed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Been around the world and found
That only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a tv
Old 16 March 2017, 13:19
Been There Done That

First time my Hokies have made it in 10 years. I'm hoping to get a win tonight against Wisconsin, which if we do we'll only get annihilated by Villanova in the round of 32.
Old 16 March 2017, 15:07
Confirmed User

I want to see two things: Duke go very far, and UNC get trounced early. That would put balance in the universe.
Old 16 March 2017, 15:09
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
All I can say is I'm so sick of hearing about Gonzaga and their highschool conference they play in. Last time they were a 1 seed they damn near got beat by a 16th seed and did get beat by a 8th seed. Zero final four appearances. I could go on and on.
They are a trendy pick to win the whole enchilada. I don't see it happening. Arizona, Duke, UNC, Kentucky, 'Nova, about three other teams that could beat them two of three games.

As I type this they are up by four, 26-22, against the 16th seed at halftime.
Old 16 March 2017, 17:32
Confirmed User

Devildoc I agree with both of your posts. Go Duke.
Old 16 March 2017, 18:48

Quote:
I believe Gonzaga is considered the weakest of the #1 seeds in the tourney, but they're still a pretty good team. NU wound up letting Vandy to get back in it after being up by 15 points, allowing them to go on a 12-0 run in the 2nd half. NU squeaks by 68-66.

Next up: Gonzaga, that high school team.

Quote:
Devildoc I agree with both of your posts. Go Duke.
Duke will be in the final 4.
Old 16 March 2017, 20:07
Confirmed User

Between Northwestern and Middle Tennessee, I am not off to a good start. As for the Gonzaga debate, I've got them going to the E8 and fizzling out there.

Got UK winning it all.

GO BIG BLUE!
Old 17 March 2017, 17:07

Thought for a brief moment that Jacksonville St. would play Cinderella this year, but looks like their carriage turned into a pumpkin in the 2nd half against Louisville.

For awhile though, they didn't look like a #15 seed.
Old 17 March 2017, 17:56
Confirmed User

Well, even though their 125 pounder Suriano had to miss the tourney with an injury, Penn State is still leading the team totals…Olympic Gold Medalist Kyle Snyder of Ohio State has moved on despite a rib injury......... oh wait….I thought you meant the NCAA WRESTLING championships!…my bad!!!…you DID post 'NCAA Tournament'...

Check this move out....

https://www.facebook.com/ncaawrestli...4/?pnref=story
Old 17 March 2017, 17:59
Authorized Personnel

Boiler UP and screw Duke!
Old 17 March 2017, 18:09
RIP Cass and SOTB

I'm gonna cheer for The U or Michigan. I have always hated Duke and hate them more with Grayson Allen. I could care less about UNC or any other ACC team other than Miami.

I was really hoping the ETSU Bucs would beat Florida. I used to work for the school and my Inlaws have pretty much all gone to school there. ETSU got wrecked. But at least they made it. That's more than I can say about my Clemson Tigers.
Old 17 March 2017, 18:34

So far it looks as if the only double digit seed to make it into the 2nd round is #11 Xavier.

Taking on #3 Florida St. on Saturday, I guess that is the Cinderella team for the time being. Or do you really only get to be considered that if you make it to the 3rd round?
Old 17 March 2017, 19:11
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChai View Post

Got UK winning it all.

GO BIG BLUE!

Finally, somebody spoke some sense.

UK has a tough draw, like most years, but I'm still putting my money on the Cats. Wichita State is a hell of a 10 seed. They got screwed with that seeding.

Our new posting rules