Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 17 March 2017, 18:29
Been There Done That

Arkansas Executions

Arkansas has just put in a fucking express lane for executions, as Ron White would say. They are going to execute 10 death row inmates from April 10 - April 21. Two a day X 5 days within that period.

Good for them.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/cate...tates/arkansas

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 17 March 2017, 18:36
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

They've borrowed a page from Saudi Arabia, although I don't think they'll ever match the 47 that they carried out on New Years day in 2016.
Old 17 March 2017, 18:37
Confirmed User

Meanwhile, in Washington State, our idiot Governor has suspended all executions, and our Attorney General tried to get a death penalty repeal bill passed.

Fortunately, the legislature told him to get bent. Or at least, they haven't passed the bill out committee.

Last edited by Ferryman; 17 March 2017 at 18:49.
Old 17 March 2017, 18:38
Authorized Personnel

Very good! Most of them die from old age or natural causes while on death row!
Old 17 March 2017, 19:06
Been There Done That

Here's a state by state breakdown of capital punishment laws/methods. Most states uses 3 drugs for the procedure. Arkansas is using a different drug that has been controversial. Apparently they flop around a bit using only the drug Arkansas is using. Which doesn't bother me...as far as I'm concerned they should let them ride the lighting.

And have it on pay per view.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lethal_injection

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 17 March 2017, 22:52
Did...did I do that?

Meanwhile, since 1989, 116 people have been exonerated while on Death Row. Three others died of natural causes on Death Row, but were later exonerated.

One innocent person killed by the state is one too many. We've come far too close.

It's no big deal, right? It's only 116 people, right? But for every innocent person on death row, the real bad guy is out there, still committing crimes. justice hasn't been done if we're killing the wrong person.

I know this puts me in the minority around here, but end the death penalty now.

Are there people out there who have committed crimes that don't deserve to live? That's not for me to decide. I don't think it's for the state to decide, either. The death penalty values some lives more than others, by virtue of the job the victim did, or what the killer was thinking when it happened.

Prosecutors and cops withhold or manufacture evidence. Lab techs make up results or perjure themselves.

There's no way to administer the death penalty fairly. There are too many problems with the system, and too many risks, and too few benefits. End it now.
Old 17 March 2017, 23:33
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post

Meanwhile, since 1989, 116 people have been exonerated while on Death Row. Three others died of natural causes on Death Row, but were later exonerated.

One innocent person killed by the state is one too many. We've come far too close.

It's no big deal, right? It's only 116 people, right? But for every innocent person on death row, the real bad guy is out there, still committing crimes. justice hasn't been done if we're killing the wrong person.

Are there people out there who have committed crimes that don't deserve to live? That's not for me to decide. I don't think it's for the state to decide, either. The death penalty values some lives more than others, by virtue of the job the victim did, or what the killer was thinking when it happened.

Prosecutors and cops withhold or manufacture evidence. Lab techs make up results or perjure themselves.

There's no way to administer the death penalty fairly. There are too many problems with the system, and too many risks, and too few benefits. End it now.
Excellent post.

I'm in the minority around here too because I agree with you 100%.

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 17 March 2017, 23:33
Genetically Deplorable

Overall I am pro-DP and wish there were more executions. But putting an innocent man to death is something I would hate to have to live with. I'm glad there are orgs who work to prove a DR inmate's innocence through DNA and other means.

To me putting an innocent man to death is much worse than a guilty man going free. With today's technology and advance police work no innocent person should ever be put to death.
Old 18 March 2017, 01:09
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzmedic View Post
Overall I am pro-DP
Heh heh........
Old 18 March 2017, 01:20
Divides by zero

Quote:
There are too many problems with the system, and too many risks, and too few benefits. End it now.
This sums up my opinion on the matter as well. Although I know some people do not deserve life as we know it, I really do not trust the system with most things...especially death.
Old 18 March 2017, 01:47
Been There Done That

I too am pro-death-penalty (I didn't write "pro-DP"...although I wanted to)... until I remember that the people administering the "justice system" are the same folks who managed to muck up pretty much everything they've set out to "fix." Anyone who knows me knows that I trust zero parts of the civilian gov't system to do anything well.

So I have to have one of those qualified opinions-- I'm pro-death-penalty IF ALL the evidence agrees that he did it, and it happened in front of beaucoup witnesses, was recorded, and there is essentially no evidence to the contrary.

NOT "his wife disappeared, and even though we have no body and no weapon, everyone knows the husband did it. He had motive, means, and opportunity, a record, no alibi, a violent past, there's no evidence to prove he didn't do it, and he wasn't smart (or rich) enough to mount the Cousin Vinnie defense, and we don't much like his kind 'round here."
Old 18 March 2017, 07:18
Been There Done That

I am totally against the death penalty. The system is made of human officers, attornies and witnesses. No chance I trust fellow humans, too many lazy, incompetent or evil fuckers out there.

Only folks who believe in hell or some after life justice can possibly agree with it's premise.
For me, I'd rather violent shitheads suffer ever single second of life as lonely, jailed rat scum.
Old 18 March 2017, 07:31
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavid View Post
I am totally against the death penalty. The system is made of human officers, attornies and witnesses. No chance I trust fellow humans, too many lazy, incompetent or evil fuckers out there.

Only folks who believe in hell or some after life justice can possibly agree with it's premise.
For me, I'd rather violent shitheads suffer ever single second of life as lonely, jailed rat scum.

Ever worked a jail or a prison? For a good number of offenders, life while incarcerated is Living Good ...

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 18 March 2017, 08:44
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-rgr View Post
I too am pro-death-penalty (I didn't write "pro-DP"...although I wanted to)... until I remember that the people administering the "justice system" are the same folks who managed to muck up pretty much everything they've set out to "fix." Anyone who knows me knows that I trust zero parts of the civilian gov't system to do anything well.

So I have to have one of those qualified opinions-- I'm pro-death-penalty IF ALL the evidence agrees that he did it, and it happened in front of beaucoup witnesses, was recorded, and there is essentially no evidence to the contrary.

NOT "his wife disappeared, and even though we have no body and no weapon, everyone knows the husband did it. He had motive, means, and opportunity, a record, no alibi, a violent past, there's no evidence to prove he didn't do it, and he wasn't smart (or rich) enough to mount the Cousin Vinnie defense, and we don't much like his kind 'round here."
I agree with you. Death Penalty only IF it is 100% confirmed. In that case I would like to see a speedy sentence.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 18 March 2017, 08:57
Authorized Personnel

It has completely lost its purpose...being a deterrent.

Last edited by Agoge; 18 March 2017 at 09:05.
Old 18 March 2017, 09:03
The Sagacious One

Quote:

So with this philosophy, we should open the prison doors, let everyone out just in case? When do we decide that that this is bad but that is OK? Then we carry over to all other societal controls, I am not sure if YOU did this work, so I won't pay you? Just in case?

Governors that direct executions accept this responsibility. No, by no means does our justice system operate in a perfect world, but your fear of facing it won't make it any better.
Old 18 March 2017, 09:12
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
So with this philosophy, we should open the prison doors, let everyone out just in case? When do we decide that that this is bad but that is OK? Then we carry over to all other societal controls, I am not sure if YOU did this work, so I won't pay you? Just in case?

Governors that direct executions accept this responsibility. No, by no means does our justice system operate in a perfect world, but your fear of facing it won't make it any better.
Apples to oranges. You can release someone from jail, but you cant un-execute them.
Old 18 March 2017, 10:00
Been There Done That

116 shows the system works.

Many were based on modern forensic techniques not available at the first trial.

Some were directly caused by the prosecution withholding evidence.

While being pro DP - if I was on a jury I would not even convict if all the evidence they had was an eyewitness.
Old 18 March 2017, 10:45
Amatuer TerrorAstrologist

I was in favor of the death penalty until I interacted with the people running our criminal justice system. It was quite a revelation seeing investigative tunnel vision, perjured testimony, and unreliable eyewitness testimony exposed in court on a weekly basis. Taking a bad case to verdict is rewarded behavior in many prosecutors offices, and that's a huge problem that is putting innocent people in cages.
"I am going to permit this thread to continue under the following conditions: 1. The original poster will cease posting like he is a skateboarder. 2. The original poster will use the search engine." -magician
Old 18 March 2017, 10:46
Make a desert and call it peace.

The arguement about the DP should be reframed from religious virtue signalling (punish the wicked sinner!!) to mundane social maintenance(Johnny, take out the trash, mow the lawn and gas the rapists).

Because that's what it is, preventing society wrecking shitlib subversives from using violent criminals as a tool to create crisis and wreck societies. "Never let a crisis go to waste," remember? As such, I think it's use should be reserved for repeat offenders, and it should be all repeat offenders, say three violent and/or five nonviolent, and you die, no discussion. None of this sadism shit, there's no deterrent effect because most of these criminal scum are practically subhuman and have no conception of the future, let alone any planning skills for something they can't even think of. OD the fuckers on high end opiates, that seems to work just fine killing junkies.

Also remove the financial incentive for lawyers, and the publicity incentive for prosecutors. This "striver faggotry"is what leads to many of these false convictions. Publicity seeking, hyper ambitious prosecutors, detectives and others jam up these false convictions because of the notoriety/celebrity of the case rather than because of the benefits to society at large.

Stop getting stuck on minutiae, look at the large scale social and human behavioral issues if you want to make meaningful changes. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith

Our new posting rules