Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Welcome To SOCNET > Introduce Yourself With Your First Post Here

Old 12 April 2014, 08:22
Confirmed Circus Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Nash,

I wish you well on finding friends here. However, we have very few actual operators here. The use of that word in this house is not used lightly.

Welcome to SOCNET.
After 20 years of SRT on both entry and my 2nd passion of the long gun, I just may qualify to some extent in the civilian world as an operator....so forgive the term.

Please note I would never, ever disrespect those that went above and beyond my capabilities when I was in the crotch. My humble apologies if it was taken wrong. Respect all, fear none, except god....lol

Best to all and thank you.
Old 12 April 2014, 14:34
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
After 20 years of SRT on both entry and my 2nd passion of the long gun, I just may qualify to some extent in the civilian world as an operator....so forgive the term.
No, you don't. Even after a 1000 years of "SRT on entry" I'm sure you have no idea where that term originated from or why it is in use... If you did you wouldn't be using it. But I guess you can be Operator As Fuck... if it makes you feel better about yourself.
Old 14 April 2014, 04:07
Confirmed Circus Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
No, you don't. Even after a 1000 years of "SRT on entry" I'm sure you have no idea where that term originated from or why it is in use... If you did you wouldn't be using it. But I guess you can be Operator As Fuck... if it makes you feel better about yourself.
Thanks for your comment. And you were correct, I have always heard it and TBH I hung my SWAT gear about 8 years ago for the younger guys. Getting older sucks. I will tell you the term is utilized commonly amoungest SWAT personnel and over the years you just adopt it without malice.

Upon reading your helpful comment I dis some looking into it and I see it's more of a term that was adopted and utilized from Delta to SEAL members of SOG's. Apologies (2nd time) if I offended anyone. Wasn't attempting to ass clown anyone. I'm poud of what I have down in the Corps and in the civilian world. Wasn't trying to up-talk anyone and not trying to piss in your wheaties.

But thanks for the warm returns non-the-less.

Last edited by Nash; 14 April 2014 at 04:17.
Old 14 April 2014, 20:28
On the Extract Bird

I am a retired biologist unaffiliated with any governmental agency. Anyone familiar with in-group/out-group psychology will certainly classify me as 'other.' I am interested in this group because of their obvious importance in current and future political outreach. I think the biggest problem we face in the US is the polarization of our society. I think I would benefit from a understanding of how and what people in this group think. I am a fiscal conservative, social liberal, closet libertarian, gay, episcopal agnostic man. I have built a large ocean going vessel and have plans to travel abroad. I am also interested in starting a non-profit that would sell low tech encryption for law abiding citizens to communicate privately with their friends.
Old 16 April 2014, 13:46

Introduction

Good afternoon. I'm Navy, active duty service OCT 75 to JUN 84, nuke EM1(SS) by the time I moved along. Did some reserve time at SIMA Mayport in the early 90's, and got riffed by Bill in '93. Started back at Navy in Sept '08 working at NAWCAD PAXR adding fun features to established weapons systems to continue helping the bad guys have a bad day.

Fun things I can share: I met Uncle Hymie (ADM Rickover) three times, did liberty in Ft. Lauderdale with the crew of the HMS Conqueror before she left to sink the General Belgrano off the Falklands, qualified sonar in my free time on patrol and learned to count blades and tell when whales are in love.

I've passed the torch to my oldest son who is a nuke EM1(SS) and wearing my original solid back silver dolphins on his dress blues...and I got to put them there the first time aboard the USS Squalus memorial.

That's it for now.
Silent-T (my call sign at NAVAIR given to me by a retired O-6 because of my service and my last name)
Old 16 April 2014, 14:04
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGreyman View Post
Hey all, currently on a WPS contract and just saying hi. See below for info from my credentials page.

USMC:
MOS 0321, 0317, 0311, 0933 (2006-2010)
Helmand Province, Afghanistan (2010)

WPS:
PSS/ERT/SGS/DDM (2012-2014)
US Consulate Basrah (current contract)

Happy Friday!
Welcome Aboard, Glad to see we have some more Marines joining the group!!
Old 16 April 2014, 14:09
Critical mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-T View Post
Good afternoon. I'm Navy, active duty service OCT 75 to JUN 84, nuke EM1(SS) by the time I moved along. Did some reserve time at SIMA Mayport in the early 90's, and got riffed by Bill in '93. Started back at Navy in Sept '08 working at NAWCAD PAXR adding fun features to established weapons systems to continue helping the bad guys have a bad day.

Fun things I can share: I met Uncle Hymie (ADM Rickover) three times, did liberty in Ft. Lauderdale with the crew of the HMS Conqueror before she left to sink the General Belgrano off the Falklands, qualified sonar in my free time on patrol and learned to count blades and tell when whales are in love.

I've passed the torch to my oldest son who is a nuke EM1(SS) and wearing my original solid back silver dolphins on his dress blues...and I got to put them there the first time aboard the USS Squalus memorial.

That's it for now.
Silent-T (my call sign at NAVAIR given to me by a retired O-6 because of my service and my last name)
Welcome aboard snidget! Not many of us old nukes here,but there are a few. I met the Adm once myself at Groton during the commissioning of the fast boat bearing his name. I recall that he was pissed the Navy didn't name a bird farm after him. Welcome!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 17 April 2014, 18:31

Hey,

A IN 2LT here, finally got my slot, I start Ranger School this Sunday! Just lookin' for some words of wisdom or tips before I begin this crucible.

-v/r,

Greg
Old 17 April 2014, 20:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHumongous View Post
Hey,

A IN 2LT here, finally got my slot, I start Ranger School this Sunday! Just lookin' for some words of wisdom or tips before I begin this crucible.

-v/r,

Greg
Pull your weight when you are NOT being graded.
Old 17 April 2014, 20:47
Been There Done That

And be prepared to change your screen name upon graduation from "TheHumongous" to "TheScarecrow".
Old 17 April 2014, 22:38
Cloud bursting...

Quote:
Hey,

-v/r,

Greg
Does your dad happen to also be Greg? MSG type?
Old 18 April 2014, 00:45

Haha. Yeah that's why I choose the screen name. I knew some people around here might know him by that nickname from his last deployment.
Old 18 April 2014, 00:54
Cloud bursting...

Quote:
Haha. Yeah that's why I choose the screen name. I knew some people around here might know him by that nickname from his last deployment.
I had the pleasure of being deployed with him. Your dad is a great NCO/leader, and even a better friend. His advice is priceless, I would deploy with him any day.

Welcome to the site Greg!

Shaw
Old 18 April 2014, 01:44
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Hey,

-v/r,

Greg
Step 1: look up member jhes160.

Step 2: tell him you want your go.

Step 3: relax until you get to mountains
Old 18 April 2014, 06:39
Been There Done That

Quote:

Make sure you give him your real name and make sure you tell him you're 2LT, then just sit back and enjoy the 'adventure'
Old 18 April 2014, 23:01
Been There Done That

Quote:
Hey all, currently on a WPS contract and just saying hi. See below for info from my credentials page.

USMC:

WPS:

Happy Friday!
I spent loads of time in Basra until we moved to Talil 2008.

Welcome
Old 20 April 2014, 04:32

Thank you guys for having me. I am a female looking at possibly earning a contract to enlist as a Navy EOD tech once I finish my basketball contract in Portugal. I respect all of you guys and appreciate you having me.
Old 20 April 2014, 17:40
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsamp View Post
Thank you guys for having me. I am a female looking at possibly earning a contract to enlist as a Navy EOD tech once I finish my basketball contract in Portugal. I respect all of you guys and appreciate you having me.
Welcome
And now for the question:

Are you hot?
Old 21 April 2014, 10:54
Been There Done That

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
Make sure you give him your real name and make sure you tell him you're 2LT, then just sit back and enjoy the 'adventure'
Oh the possibilities are endless!
Old 21 April 2014, 13:20
Confirmed User

Welcome. If your username is your real name, you should consider changing it for PERSEC reasons.

Semper Fi.

Quote:

USMC:

WPS:

Happy Friday!

Our new posting rules