Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Welcome To SOCNET > Introduce Yourself With Your First Post Here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #9901  
Old 12 April 2014, 08:22
Nash Nash is offline
Confirmed Circus Clown
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Nash,

I wish you well on finding friends here. However, we have very few actual operators here. The use of that word in this house is not used lightly.

Welcome to SOCNET.
After 20 years of SRT on both entry and my 2nd passion of the long gun, I just may qualify to some extent in the civilian world as an operator....so forgive the term.

Please note I would never, ever disrespect those that went above and beyond my capabilities when I was in the crotch. My humble apologies if it was taken wrong. Respect all, fear none, except god....lol


Best to all and thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #9902  
Old 12 April 2014, 14:34
Hot Mess's Avatar
Hot Mess Hot Mess is offline
In Vino Veritas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Where you vacation
Posts: 10,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
After 20 years of SRT on both entry and my 2nd passion of the long gun, I just may qualify to some extent in the civilian world as an operator....so forgive the term.
No, you don't. Even after a 1000 years of "SRT on entry" I'm sure you have no idea where that term originated from or why it is in use... If you did you wouldn't be using it. But I guess you can be Operator As Fuck... if it makes you feel better about yourself.
__________________
Come on boys, you got to do it right, pray to the moon in the middle of the night
Reply With Quote
  #9903  
Old 14 April 2014, 04:07
Nash Nash is offline
Confirmed Circus Clown
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
No, you don't. Even after a 1000 years of "SRT on entry" I'm sure you have no idea where that term originated from or why it is in use... If you did you wouldn't be using it. But I guess you can be Operator As Fuck... if it makes you feel better about yourself.
Thanks for your comment. And you were correct, I have always heard it and TBH I hung my SWAT gear about 8 years ago for the younger guys. Getting older sucks. I will tell you the term is utilized commonly amoungest SWAT personnel and over the years you just adopt it without malice.

Upon reading your helpful comment I dis some looking into it and I see it's more of a term that was adopted and utilized from Delta to SEAL members of SOG's. Apologies (2nd time) if I offended anyone. Wasn't attempting to ass clown anyone. I'm poud of what I have down in the Corps and in the civilian world. Wasn't trying to up-talk anyone and not trying to piss in your wheaties.

But thanks for the warm returns non-the-less.

Last edited by Nash; 14 April 2014 at 04:17.
Reply With Quote
  #9904  
Old 14 April 2014, 20:28
casualnctourist casualnctourist is offline
On the Extract Bird
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 2
I am a retired biologist unaffiliated with any governmental agency. Anyone familiar with in-group/out-group psychology will certainly classify me as 'other.' I am interested in this group because of their obvious importance in current and future political outreach. I think the biggest problem we face in the US is the polarization of our society. I think I would benefit from a understanding of how and what people in this group think. I am a fiscal conservative, social liberal, closet libertarian, gay, episcopal agnostic man. I have built a large ocean going vessel and have plans to travel abroad. I am also interested in starting a non-profit that would sell low tech encryption for law abiding citizens to communicate privately with their friends.
Reply With Quote
  #9905  
Old 16 April 2014, 13:46
Silent-T Silent-T is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NAVAIR HQ, PAXR, MD
Posts: 1
Introduction

Good afternoon. I'm Navy, active duty service OCT 75 to JUN 84, nuke EM1(SS) by the time I moved along. Did some reserve time at SIMA Mayport in the early 90's, and got riffed by Bill in '93. Started back at Navy in Sept '08 working at NAWCAD PAXR adding fun features to established weapons systems to continue helping the bad guys have a bad day.

Fun things I can share: I met Uncle Hymie (ADM Rickover) three times, did liberty in Ft. Lauderdale with the crew of the HMS Conqueror before she left to sink the General Belgrano off the Falklands, qualified sonar in my free time on patrol and learned to count blades and tell when whales are in love.

I've passed the torch to my oldest son who is a nuke EM1(SS) and wearing my original solid back silver dolphins on his dress blues...and I got to put them there the first time aboard the USS Squalus memorial.

That's it for now.
Silent-T (my call sign at NAVAIR given to me by a retired O-6 because of my service and my last name)
Reply With Quote
  #9906  
Old 16 April 2014, 14:04
Dragbag Dragbag is offline
Poser
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Poser
Posts: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGreyman View Post
Hey all, currently on a WPS contract and just saying hi. See below for info from my credentials page.

USMC:
MOS 0321, 0317, 0311, 0933 (2006-2010)
Helmand Province, Afghanistan (2010)

WPS:
PSS/ERT/SGS/DDM (2012-2014)
US Consulate Basrah (current contract)

Happy Friday!
Welcome Aboard, Glad to see we have some more Marines joining the group!!
Reply With Quote
  #9907  
Old 16 April 2014, 14:09
Xenonburnout's Avatar
Xenonburnout Xenonburnout is offline
Critical mass
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: the event horizon
Posts: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-T View Post
Good afternoon. I'm Navy, active duty service OCT 75 to JUN 84, nuke EM1(SS) by the time I moved along. Did some reserve time at SIMA Mayport in the early 90's, and got riffed by Bill in '93. Started back at Navy in Sept '08 working at NAWCAD PAXR adding fun features to established weapons systems to continue helping the bad guys have a bad day.

Fun things I can share: I met Uncle Hymie (ADM Rickover) three times, did liberty in Ft. Lauderdale with the crew of the HMS Conqueror before she left to sink the General Belgrano off the Falklands, qualified sonar in my free time on patrol and learned to count blades and tell when whales are in love.

I've passed the torch to my oldest son who is a nuke EM1(SS) and wearing my original solid back silver dolphins on his dress blues...and I got to put them there the first time aboard the USS Squalus memorial.

That's it for now.
Silent-T (my call sign at NAVAIR given to me by a retired O-6 because of my service and my last name)
Welcome aboard snidget! Not many of us old nukes here,but there are a few. I met the Adm once myself at Groton during the commissioning of the fast boat bearing his name. I recall that he was pissed the Navy didn't name a bird farm after him. Welcome!
__________________
"There are thousands hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root."-Henry David Thoreau

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #9908  
Old 17 April 2014, 18:31
TheHumongous TheHumongous is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Fort Benning
Posts: 2
Hey,

A IN 2LT here, finally got my slot, I start Ranger School this Sunday! Just lookin' for some words of wisdom or tips before I begin this crucible.

-v/r,

Greg
Reply With Quote
  #9909  
Old 17 April 2014, 20:45
AZ5326's Avatar
AZ5326 AZ5326 is online now
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHumongous View Post
Hey,

A IN 2LT here, finally got my slot, I start Ranger School this Sunday! Just lookin' for some words of wisdom or tips before I begin this crucible.

-v/r,

Greg
Pull your weight when you are NOT being graded.
Reply With Quote
  #9910  
Old 17 April 2014, 20:47
AZ5326's Avatar
AZ5326 AZ5326 is online now
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,311
And be prepared to change your screen name upon graduation from "TheHumongous" to "TheScarecrow".
Reply With Quote
  #9911  
Old 17 April 2014, 22:38
Psyop Shaw's Avatar
Psyop Shaw Psyop Shaw is offline
Cloud bursting...
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CONUS
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHumongous View Post
Hey,

A IN 2LT here, finally got my slot, I start Ranger School this Sunday! Just lookin' for some words of wisdom or tips before I begin this crucible.

-v/r,

Greg
Does your dad happen to also be Greg? MSG type?
__________________
"The only place success comes before work is in the dicitionary." - Airborne
Reply With Quote
  #9912  
Old 18 April 2014, 00:45
TheHumongous TheHumongous is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Fort Benning
Posts: 2
Haha. Yeah that's why I choose the screen name. I knew some people around here might know him by that nickname from his last deployment.
Reply With Quote
  #9913  
Old 18 April 2014, 00:54
Psyop Shaw's Avatar
Psyop Shaw Psyop Shaw is offline
Cloud bursting...
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CONUS
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHumongous View Post
Haha. Yeah that's why I choose the screen name. I knew some people around here might know him by that nickname from his last deployment.
I had the pleasure of being deployed with him. Your dad is a great NCO/leader, and even a better friend. His advice is priceless, I would deploy with him any day.

Welcome to the site Greg!

Shaw
__________________
"The only place success comes before work is in the dicitionary." - Airborne
Reply With Quote
  #9914  
Old 18 April 2014, 01:44
Hot Mess's Avatar
Hot Mess Hot Mess is offline
In Vino Veritas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Where you vacation
Posts: 10,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHumongous View Post
Hey,

A IN 2LT here, finally got my slot, I start Ranger School this Sunday! Just lookin' for some words of wisdom or tips before I begin this crucible.

-v/r,

Greg
Step 1: look up member jhes160.

Step 2: tell him you want your go.

Step 3: relax until you get to mountains
__________________
Come on boys, you got to do it right, pray to the moon in the middle of the night
Reply With Quote
  #9915  
Old 18 April 2014, 06:39
RGR.Montcalm's Avatar
RGR.Montcalm RGR.Montcalm is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Clearing fields of fire
Posts: 10,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Step 1: look up member jhes160.

Step 2: tell him you want your go.

Step 3: relax until you get to mountains
Make sure you give him your real name and make sure you tell him you're 2LT, then just sit back and enjoy the 'adventure'
__________________
Shallow men believe in luck; strong men believe in cause and effect
Reply With Quote
  #9916  
Old 18 April 2014, 23:01
sf-doc's Avatar
sf-doc sf-doc is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGreyman View Post
Hey all, currently on a WPS contract and just saying hi. See below for info from my credentials page.

USMC:
MOS 0321, 0317, 0311, 0933 (2006-2010)
Helmand Province, Afghanistan (2010)

WPS:
PSS/ERT/SGS/DDM (2012-2014)
US Consulate Basrah (current contract)

Happy Friday!
I spent loads of time in Basra until we moved to Talil 2008.

Welcome
Reply With Quote
  #9917  
Old 20 April 2014, 04:32
sdsamp sdsamp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 2
Thank you guys for having me. I am a female looking at possibly earning a contract to enlist as a Navy EOD tech once I finish my basketball contract in Portugal. I respect all of you guys and appreciate you having me.
Reply With Quote
  #9918  
Old 20 April 2014, 17:40
Floyd Floyd is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: AZ, no more snow for me
Posts: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsamp View Post
Thank you guys for having me. I am a female looking at possibly earning a contract to enlist as a Navy EOD tech once I finish my basketball contract in Portugal. I respect all of you guys and appreciate you having me.
Welcome
And now for the question:

Are you hot?
Reply With Quote
  #9919  
Old 21 April 2014, 10:54
jhes160 jhes160 is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: East Alabama
Posts: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Step 1: look up member jhes160.

Step 2: tell him you want your go.

Step 3: relax until you get to mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
Make sure you give him your real name and make sure you tell him you're 2LT, then just sit back and enjoy the 'adventure'
Oh the possibilities are endless!
Reply With Quote
  #9920  
Old 21 April 2014, 13:20
usmc_3m's Avatar
usmc_3m usmc_3m is online now
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: PR of Kali
Posts: 742
Welcome. If your username is your real name, you should consider changing it for PERSEC reasons.

Semper Fi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGreyman View Post
Hey all, currently on a WPS contract and just saying hi. See below for info from my credentials page.

USMC:
MOS 0321, 0317, 0311, 0933 (2006-2010)
Helmand Province, Afghanistan (2010)

WPS:
PSS/ERT/SGS/DDM (2012-2014)
US Consulate Basrah (current contract)

Happy Friday!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:44.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
SOCNET