Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 19 May 2008, 22:15
Confirmed User

Does anyone bike here?(Road bike/ Mountain bike)

Just wondering who the bikers on this website are. I bought a road bike about a year ago and got addicted. anyone else? oh and if you do, what do you ride?

i ride a entry level bike, 54cm, alum. 17lbs. 14 speed. made by some shitty company called Kent, but none the less its fast.
Old 19 May 2008, 22:23
Authorized Personnel

Used to road race before a car decided to turn left in front of me ensuring I'll need a hip replacement by the time I'm forty.

Lots of bikers on here though.

Strong Frames custom, full Dura Ace, Thompson, Cane Creek, Mavics, and so on and so forth...not many 15lbs steel bikes out there!
Old 19 May 2008, 23:44
Fitness Mod

Mountain bike. I ride a YETI.
Old 19 May 2008, 23:44
Confirmed User

Lightbulb

I used to ride mtn every day before i started dialysis. I miss it very much. Tons of trails and downhill trails out here in cali. I rode a specialized demo9. Hoping for the day i can ride again.
Old 20 May 2008, 00:26
Confirmed User

Used to ride mtn exclusively, still have a Giant XTC full susp. Made 3 trips to Moab Utah before kids. Now it's mostly road, try and put in 2K each season. Road from Seattle to Boston 10 years ago (to visit Teddy K!). I'm doing the Seattle to Portland, 205m, in a day this year. I've owned a Bianchi Reparto Corsi I bought on Ebay for a few years. Sweet ride.
Old 20 May 2008, 00:49
Nec Aspera Terrent

I have a full suspension Iron Horse mountain bike, 24 speed, 22' frame and works as well as when I got it in 2006.

I usually cycle about 5-8 times a week. I'm about two minutes away from a ravine full of walking and bike paths/deathtraps. :D

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."
Old 20 May 2008, 03:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger5280 View Post
Mountain bike. I ride a YETI.
575? I have an 06 575 that I built up, raced and had stolen in May of 07. I recovered it back in December after finding it advertised on Craigslist and busing the thief. It's nice to be back in the Tribe. I couldnt afford to buy another one if I hadn't recovered mine.
Old 20 May 2008, 04:08
Banned User

I've been riding a Marin Mount Vision since 2005. Dont really do trails anymore, but its good around the hood.

Old 20 May 2008, 08:09
Confirmed User

XL Gary Fisher back and forth to work.
Old 20 May 2008, 08:32
Conformed User

I have a Guru Trilite triathlon (TT) bike, an off brand road bike, and a Scott mountain bike hardtail.

I ride 50-100 miles/week on the road and spend a few hours on the trainer watching Sportscenter a couple of times per week.
Old 20 May 2008, 08:34
Banned User

Quote:
Does anyone bike here?
Not as much as I’d like, I’m a TriGeek on sabbatical…:D...the ride is my favorite part of triathlon…:D

Prior to hosing up my shoulders, this was my rocket - Cervelo P3 - Dura-Ace with HED 3‘s.
CerveloP3.jpg

Although you can’t see too well from the pic, my son rides a Giant. I also have an old GT ZR 2.0 (Ultegra) for the Base Phase & winter months.

Once the kids quit nickel-and- dimeing to death, this is what I‘ll be in the market for- a Cervelo P3 Carbon
http://www.cervelo.com/bikes.aspx?bike=P3C2008

Cervelo Rocks!!..:D

Quote:
I used to ride mtn every day before i started dialysis. I miss it very much.
Man….that’s gotta be tough, peritoneal or Hemo?….sure hope everything turns out OK and your renal function returns…

Last edited by T-Rock; 20 May 2008 at 08:44. Reason: to wish HK FAN well..
Old 20 May 2008, 09:24
Confirmed User

I have a much neglected Specialized Allez Elite in the garage next to an even more neglected run-of-the-mill Haro hard tail mountain bike.

My schedule changed recently though so there is hope that the neglect will be ending soon.
Old 20 May 2008, 09:30
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

I have a Huffy-copy, flat tires and the gears stick when going to the upper range. Yeah, I'll be wearing that bitch out when I get back from Iraq/Disney World (two different places, BTW) -- I'll be riding to work and back 2-3 times per week.

The price of gas has exceeded my fear of dying at the hands of a 3-toothed mullet-head driving an 84 Nissan Sentra....
Old 20 May 2008, 10:25
Baggage handler

I ride a Cannondale Road Warrior 800. It's real fast.
I do three laps (20 miles) in Central Park three times a week - it's a lot more hilly than you'd imagine! Once or twice a year I'll ride up the Hudson River, cross the George Washington Bridge and follow the Palisade Parkway north. It's about 60 miles round-trip.
Old 20 May 2008, 11:46
Sweep the leg...

Question

I'm glad someone posted this.

I'm looking to get a mountain bike for trails and ride on my non-running days. I will probably buy from someone on Craigslist because I know I'm no Lance Armstrong needing a $3,000 bike...:D

*** I'm 6'3, 225lbs. Can someone tell me what size mountain bike would fit me well?
Old 20 May 2008, 12:37
Fitness Mod

Bike frame size is a very personal thing. It's best to ride anything you intend to buy first and see if it's comfortable.
Old 20 May 2008, 13:08
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

Alpinestars Al Mega DX Mtb. circa 1992
Old 20 May 2008, 13:48
Sweep the leg...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger5280 View Post
Bike frame size is a very personal thing. It's best to ride anything you intend to buy first and see if it's comfortable.
OK, cool...

I just figured someone would be able to say, 'you're such and such height, this size should fit you...'
Old 20 May 2008, 13:54
Nec Aspera Terrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by grappler View Post
OK, cool...

I just figured someone would be able to say, 'you're such and such height, this size should fit you...'
That's something that the staff at whatever bike shop will address when you tell them you're in the market. For taller guys like us, (I'm 6'6) you might have some trouble getting a larger size frame bike, but it's certainly not impossible.
It took me a week to get a special order 22' frame, and it was well worth the wait, fits me like a glove.

What kind of MTB you lookin' for? Hardtail? Full suspension?

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."
Old 20 May 2008, 13:56
Authorized Personnel

"I'm 6'3, 225lbs. Can someone tell me what size mountain bike would fit me well?"

A motorcycle!

I had a problem with alum frames when I was riding. I broke two hardtail frames off road. I bought a Rocky Mountain Steel frame and it is light a sheeet. I love it and would not trade it. If you have the money I would look and independent frames as well.

Our new posting rules