Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 15 September 2016, 09:37
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucible guy View Post
Hoepoe,

I ride an Orbea, Orca. My second frame as unlucky as I could be on one driving trip, a rock flipped up and popped a hole in my frame while it was on the back of my truck. I have been riding this one since 2006 or so. It will be going into the shop soon for a new crank set, chain and rear cartridge. They are just flat wore out but they keep me going while I wait.

I would love to hear any recommendations or good deals on a new crankset.

How about you?
That's a nice bike! I ride a Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt. Not the best at anything except fun!
Old 15 September 2016, 12:18
Authorized Personnel

Thanks, I haven't been to this thread for a while and read the other mountain bike posts this morning. Then this popped up, I did get all the tune up stuff in August and that bad boy has been seen the miles since then.

Thunderbolt? Those things are incredibly nice (expensive) depending on the model. I am jealous for an XC and trail bike.

CG
Old 11 November 2016, 17:53
Confirmed User

I mountain biked today for the first time in about 5 years and had a blast. I've lived in the Nashville area my whole life and never knew they had a nice set of trails at Percy Warner.
Old 11 November 2016, 18:03
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDave View Post
I mountain biked today for the first time in about 5 years and had a blast. I've lived in the Nashville area my whole life and never knew they had a nice set of trails at Percy Warner.

http://www.singletracks.com/mountain...w_state_id=423

Hit an actual bike park one day. Rent a DH bike, all of the protective gear, and go have some fun!

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot

Last edited by MixedLoad; 11 November 2016 at 18:08.
Old 11 November 2016, 23:12
Confirmed User

That's a good link, thanks. I have a couple of friends that are really into it so I'll be hitting the trails more often.
Old 31 December 2016, 12:55
Been There Done That

Anyone here have a link whereby I can set my mtn bike up to ride in the basement? Some sort of stand. I can fix something up , but it would look kinda funky....
Old 31 December 2016, 15:09
Spice Weasel

A trainer and a front wheel block. You can get them at Performance Bike or even Amazon.
Old 31 December 2016, 15:17
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucible guy View Post
Thanks, I haven't been to this thread for a while and read the other mountain bike posts this morning. Then this popped up, I did get all the tune up stuff in August and that bad boy has been seen the miles since then.

Thunderbolt? Those things are incredibly nice (expensive) depending on the model. I am jealous for an XC and trail bike.

CG
Mine's the 750msl, so midrange but great for what i need. I bought the 2015 at the end of 2015 so got a decent deal on it; still a fair dime though.

Happy 2017!

Ivor
Old 11 August 2017, 12:42
Confirmed User

My new ride

I rented a 29er in Colorado last month and loved it. So, I decided to upgrade. I've hit the trails 3 of the 4 days I've owned it. It's a Specialized Camber. I saved $500 since it's a 2017 model and the new ones are coming in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1309.jpg (51.9 KB, 101 views)
Old 11 August 2017, 13:06
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
I rented a 29er in Colorado last month and loved it. So, I decided to upgrade. I've hit the trails 3 of the 4 days I've owned it. It's a Specialized Camber. I saved $500 since it's a 2017 model and the new ones are coming in.
Stealthy. I like.
I have been riding more recently. I have a 1986 GT Timberline. Rigid front end. I took it out of mothballs to a shop to get their opinion as to whether or not it was worth putting new tires and brakes on. To my surprise they all went gaga over it. The shop owner brought all the techs out to show them my bike and explain the build quality and design. It was like I just drove in a 1963 Corvette Stingray Split Window Coupe.

So yea. I put new tires and brakes on her.
Old 11 August 2017, 14:44
Confirmed User

Quote:
The Camber is awesome, enjoy!
Old 11 August 2017, 14:45
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady1 View Post
Stealthy. I like.
I have been riding more recently. I have a 1986 GT Timberline. Rigid front end. I took it out of mothballs to a shop to get their opinion as to whether or not it was worth putting new tires and brakes on. To my surprise they all went gaga over it. The shop owner brought all the techs out to show them my bike and explain the build quality and design. It was like I just drove in a 1963 Corvette Stingray Split Window Coupe.

So yea. I put new tires and brakes on her.
Useless post without pics :)
Old 11 August 2017, 16:20
Authorized Personnel

As requested. This bike served me very well for many years fully loaded for month long Bike/fishing trips in the west. And, I'm going to get a couple more out of her before I give in and buy new.
The guys at the shop were all crazy over that "triple Triangle" area of the frame at the upright and main bar area.
20150107_224517.jpg

Last edited by shady1; 11 August 2017 at 16:30.
Old 11 August 2017, 17:41
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Great bike. I tested one a few years ago and loved it.

Quote:
As requested. This bike served me very well for many years fully loaded for month long Bike/fishing trips in the west. And, I'm going to get a couple more out of her before I give in and buy new.
The guys at the shop were all crazy over that "triple Triangle" area of the frame at the upright and main bar area.
Attachment 37539
Oldschool GT's, like the unforgettable Zaskar, are the heat. Nice ride. Don't throw it away.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 16 August 2017, 13:20
Confirmed User

A ride from a few weeks back. It's a 12minute clip and gets faster and (I think) more gnarly as it goes on. This was in central Israel. (Quality can be out up to HD)

https://www.youtube[dot]com/watch?v=SSA2NmyeUoE
Old 31 August 2017, 02:43
Been There Done That

I just built my Keiser M3i stationary bike in my bedroom. I'm trying to stay ahead of Seattle's gloomy winters by riding my ass off (my gut off) and binge watching as many shows as I can come up with. Pretty awesome piece of gear. Full reports to follow. This oughta be good.
Old 9 October 2017, 03:49
Confirmed User

The new Beast!

My new ride. 27+, 150mm front and 130mm rear travel.

I did't have a chance to really put her through any rough stuff due to the weather but am looking forward to it!

BTW, that's the ruins of a French Crusader fort in the background.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6d7cd4d3-b46e-4465-b14c-c0abe33ab14d.jpg (57.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 9 October 2017, 10:24
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoepoe View Post
My new ride. 27+, 150mm front and 130mm rear travel.

I did't have a chance to really put her through any rough stuff due to the weather but am looking forward to it!

BTW, that's the ruins of a French Crusader fort in the background.
Nice ride and great pic. Now go shoot a couple action vids. and show us what ya got ........
Stay safe.
Old 9 October 2017, 10:42
Confirmed User

Quote:
Nice ride and great pic. Now go shoot a couple action vids. and show us what ya got ........
Stay safe.
That's the plan!!
Old 9 October 2017, 16:22
Conformed User

Quote:
They are pretty new - only been there for a few years.

You need to venture out to Montgomery Bell and hit those trails. They're the best in the state. Only an hour out of Nashvegas.

Our new posting rules