Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 3 June 2008, 13:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
Need some advice for a not-too-expensive beginner bike that can do light to medium trail and road riding. Knees have finally gone and the Doc says start biking and swimming for fitness. Got any good recs for a guy on a budget, but still wants a sturdy, hard riding bike?
THX
Just some advice from a semi-noob. When I was looking to get into MTB, I wanted the same, but a friend talked me into getting something a little more expensive that could be treated somewhat like an investment. Thats when I bought my Trek for about $1800, at the time I wanted nothing over $1200. It was a full suspension cross country, something a little bit more advanced than a recreational bike and not gnarly enough for steep downhilling mountains, although you can but you will be replacing parts like mad. True to his philosphy it has been just that. Good enough for just about everything. I have done a few MTB races and a few Xterras and it works great. The full suspension takes care of my hiney when traversing rocky trails, and the suspension can be set if you know you will be riding flat roads, this takes care of the shock and rebound when you pedal. Ive upgraded a few components, but Ive only recently begun doing that and Ive had it for 4 years. I hope you find what you, or anyone looking to get into riding, is looking for. It is a great thing to be a part of, it gets you outdoors with nature, it keeps you healthy and you meet alot of people. Good luck.
Old 3 June 2008, 14:06
Confirmed User

I agree with dirtp. The quandary is that you want a dirt bike and a bike thats good on roads, and you're on a tight budget. I'm on my 4th mtn bike and my 2nd road bike. If you go cheap, you're just gonna end up trading up in the future. You can ride a mtn bike on the road, I've done the Seattle to Portland on my first mtn bike 3x, with knobby tires, but it sucked. If you're real tight, I would suggest getting used mtn and road bike on ebay or craigs list. Both types of riding are addictive, and just one bike to do it all isn't the best way to go. Good luck!
Old 3 July 2008, 19:12
Confirmed User

Santa Cruz Heckler / Chameleon rider here.

I use to ride DH/all mountain but eventually toned it down and now only ride trails and do road work.
Old 3 January 2011, 23:42
BTDT

Well, I'm digging up this thread. Just bought a Cannondale CAAD9 5. Can't wait for the warmer weather. Anybody have any recommendations for a good trainer? Magnetic vs Fluid etc.

C.co 1/75 96-99
RS 3-98
Old 4 January 2011, 01:28
In Vino Veritas

I just got 24mi in today I was looking at trainers when I was at the Q, but gave it up for a number of reasons.

Just remember that they will wear out your tires and wheels faster

Get some good cold weather gear, including booties Your feet will get cooooold quick. It's cheaper to get off season, but it doesn't look like you'll have that option this year.

I love my road bike. It keeps my heart rate right in that fat burning zone for 1.5-2 hr 3-6 days a week (when I can).

some websites; bikenashbar dot com, chainlove dot com, and slowtwitch dot come.

Last edited by Hot Mess; 4 January 2011 at 01:37.
Old 4 January 2011, 15:21
Life Aquatic

Kurt Kinetic road machine (fluid) is a good trainer. It is not that loud, has a good feel, and their warranty is top notch. The power meter add on is a waste though, you can download the power band levels from their website and make a small chart on a note card to tape to your handlebars. A lot of bike shops will give you an old tire that you can swap out to reduce wear as well.

+1 on the slowtwitch site. They have a pretty good classifieds section that is usually way cheaper than ebay for extra gear.

I have a fitting scheduled for Saturday then buying a new tri bike after the last few years on my road bike with clip-ons if anyone has any brands to recommend. Looking at felts and cervelos based on preliminary sizing but I dont want to drop a bunch of cash on something that is a poor fit.
Old 4 January 2011, 19:32

Last year I started biking as my primary means of transportation and began putting about 30 miles daily on my Schwinn Premis with Bianchi wheels. True to what others have said, you need to treat a bike like an investment if you plan on doing a lot of riding. Even though I upgraded a lot of components, I neglected others and most recently broke a pedal arm. You can find a lot of great deals on used bikes, but make sure that you buy a quality frame with quality components because if you don't, you'll pay for it eventually. I have found that the wheels are typically very indicative of the bike's quality and the rider's maintenance practices. A loose spoke is usually an automatic no for me.

for size reference, I'm 6'3" 190lbs and ride a 62cm. But those are hard to come by (I got lucky on craigslist). I've ridden 58s and even smaller sometimes. You can make a lot of configurations work if you find a longer frame geometry, but if you do any longer rides (50+ miles) you'll find just how uncomfortable and inhibiting a poorly fitted bike really is.
Old 4 January 2011, 19:47
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick7 View Post
I have a fitting scheduled for Saturday then buying a new tri bike after the last few years on my road bike with clip-ons if anyone has any brands to recommend. Looking at felts and cervelos based on preliminary sizing but I dont want to drop a bunch of cash on something that is a poor fit.
I'll be looking for a P3 Cervelo in the spring if I'm home a little bit more, that thing just looks sexy Good luck!
Old 4 January 2011, 21:11
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers snaplink View Post
I'll be looking for a P3 Cervelo in the spring if I'm home a little bit more, that thing just looks sexy Good luck!
Hopefully a new member to the Cervelo mafia!!!!

Myself I have Cervelo p2 I love it!!!
RR1
Old 5 January 2011, 08:08
Conquer Life.

I ride mountain every chance I get. Tearing apart local singletrack is a hobby. Usually cover about 20+miles and 3k feet of climbing. I ride a Gary Fisher Cake 3DLX. Will be upgrading to a Trek Fuel or Giant Reign soon.

Also have a Cannondale F7 hardtail and an Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho Downhill bike (Both for sale @ good price if anyone is looking).

And a road bike which was given to me by R2R. It's their personal bike, called a Stealth. Made by Performance Cycles for them, IIRC.

“Now from a distance I look back on what the Corps taught me: To think like men of action, and to act like men of thought! To live life with intensity, and a passion for excellence.” - Jim Mattis
Old 7 January 2011, 19:40
Confirmed User

I ride a Mongoose Black Widow, 24 spd, 26", empty weight is 38lbs, caliper disc brakes(front and rear), 4 link rear suspension, bought new in 2005 for around 380 bucks has about 42k from riding on and off road. It's been up in the Rockies to the Sierra's and anywhere else I hauled it with me on the truck.
Old 8 January 2011, 02:22
Confirmed User

I just started riding mine again this year after putting it in storage since 2001. It's 99 GT I-drive XCR 4000. Right before the company got bought out by schwinn and then both companies got swallowed by Pacific (we build crap)

We have a local trail but I prefer to ride Land Between the Lakes.

Col. Robert W. Black
Old 8 January 2011, 18:17

I ride a giant road bike w/ the carbon fibre fork. I would recommend the carbon fork to anyone looking to buy a road bike, it really reduces the vibration in yer bars.
I also ride a kona dawg deluxe for mtn biking. If any of you guys like the bike park lift assisted downhilling, you really must check out the bike park on Whistler mountain in BC, Canada. It is unbelievabley well built with trails for all types of riders(especially hard cores, not saying I am though...). Super flowy and fun. If any of you guys are going to hit whistler this summer I might be able to help ya out! Cheers.
Old 9 January 2011, 12:34
On the Extract Bird

Cora and I have been racing downhill for a few years. Bikes are a great way to keep in shape, especially when the knees are angry about a life of abuse.

This form of mountain biking is way fun, the bikes are essentially motorcycles without motors, you wear full armor and helmets and take a lift up the mountain. Coming down is seriously fun and i figure i can do this as long as i can walk.
Crashes are somewhat un fun if you push it though, knocked myself out good this last year in new mexico...but if you have the extra money i'd highly recommend it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM_B-XkSflc
Old 14 January 2011, 14:25
Confirmed User

Cool mdavid! That is something I would have to think twice on though. I'm very used to traffic (vehicle & pedestrian), up and down stairs, ramps, ect but that trail? Hmmm...lol!
Old 26 January 2011, 11:57
Confirmed User

Roadie here: Riding a Specialized Tarmac all Dura Ace. Started biking about 8 years ago on a dare to do Hotter then Hell, a local Texas bike race with 3 weeks preperation. Bought a $700 Trek and thought I had spent a FORTUNE for a fracking bike! Finished the 100mile route at avg. 98 degree temps and caught the bug.

Then upgraded and upgraded and upgraded. Finally a newer frame broke and I was going to buy a 'better' frame. Suddenly the wife looked at me and said the following words: Why don't you just go get the best bike you can and get all this upgrading crap over with? I don't want to hear you bitch about anything bike related for the next 3 years!

Was at the bike store about 18 minutes later (normally a 25 minute drive) with credit card in hand. Spent $3,500 on that Tarmac (which was a last years model on sale) and haven't gotten the itch to upgrade etc. since.. Now it's only wear and tear... Have to say she was right... It's much cheaper... Hmnn... just noticed.. it's been 3 years... :)

If there are any riders in the DFW area let me know. Buddies and I created a local riding group 'Wheelbrothers' and you'll find us at the .com.

Has anyone here seen the new bike frames made out of wood? These are wicked! http://www.renovobikes.com/
Old 26 January 2011, 15:10
Confirmed User

I ride a specialized FSR Comp. My wife rolls a Myka, which is basically the same bike but set up for a woman. We went into the bike store to look at getting me a hardtail (Something nice, but simple) and $5,000 later we were all set up. I don't take my wife to the bike store anymore.
Old 26 January 2011, 17:39
Conquer Life.

Cope, that FSR Comp is a sweet bike. The Enduros are nice too.

mdavid, cool video. This one isn't mine (no helmet cam), but shows some of my favorite local trails. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dTVL...eature=related

Anyone else got pics/vid of their local rides?

“Now from a distance I look back on what the Corps taught me: To think like men of action, and to act like men of thought! To live life with intensity, and a passion for excellence.” - Jim Mattis
Old 26 January 2011, 20:01
Been There Done That

I ride a Trek 9.8 carbon fiber frame hardtail mountain bike. XTR components throughout, Mavic ceramic rims Bontrager seat, post and goose neck, etc. The bike is light and fast as hell. I did about 5 years of adventure racing and it served me well. Now I just use it for PT while I am home on leave.
Old 29 January 2011, 20:56
Life Aquatic

Just pulled the trigger on a 2010 transition pro. Turns out my fit was way off before and after getting measured by a guy with no interest in a bike shop I settled on the pro. Looking at adding a 29er Epic or FSR next.

Our new posting rules