Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 29 January 2011, 23:46
Confirmed User

Pretty cool vid there, Balls. Eh Scholty? Think I'll stick to my aluminum frame mountain bike, LOL! Are you going to triple H this year by the way?
Old 30 January 2011, 00:09
Aww F**K it

I ride a Trek Police Bike for work, we ride year round as long as there isn't ice on the ground. http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...e_bike/police/

I ride a Specialized Rockhopper at home.

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4
Old 17 May 2011, 22:47

Its good to see a fitness section on here, especially with my profession being known for its....lack of exercise I guess is a nice way to put it. I love cycling, so much easier on the body than running and still a great workout. I do all distances of triathlon from sprint to Ironman (Louisville finisher) and the bike is my favorite part. I ride a Trek Madone for fun or on group rides and I have a Trek Equinox for triathlon (both 62cm frames, I'm tall) and a hard tail Giant for mountain biking/playing around/geocaching.
Old 18 May 2011, 12:06
What could possibly go wrong?

Doing Fresno century ride this weekend
Old 18 May 2011, 12:26
Administrator

I just bought a Jamis Dakar mountain bike. I know nothing about Jamis but found one for half price. Full suspension and seems to be a quality bike, if not as popular as Trek, Specialized, Giant etc....

Anybody know anything about them? I pick it up after work today.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 18 May 2011, 16:53
Conformed User

Bought myself a Litespeed Pisgah (hardtail Ti Mountain Bike). It has all Shimano XTR components, Mavic rims with Chris King hubs, Cane Creek headset, Thompson Seatpost, Rockshox SID Team forks, yadda, yadda.

The thing is top end everything and had been ridden (get this) fewer than 250 miles. IT weighs less than 21 lbs.

I got it for $1000 even. It's 8 years old and had been sitting in dude's garage for years. MSRP was over $3500 back then.

I will NEVER buy a new bike again. There are steals out there.
Old 18 May 2011, 17:35
In Vino Veritas

Upgraded

Just got my first tribike Best purchase I've made besides my HD. Picked up about 5min on my 25mi route and raised my avg speed by about 3 mph. I was looking at a Cervelo P3 but went with a Felt B16 full carbon in the Regimental Black and Red. Ultgra front/rear derailers, upgraded full carbon drop bars, brake handles all for $2600. Better components than the P3 for $1000 less.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-05-06 07.20.56.jpg (56.7 KB, 191 views)

Last edited by Hot Mess; 18 May 2011 at 17:39.
Old 18 May 2011, 18:27

Your first tri-bike??

THAT'S your first tri bike? Nice! I'm jealous and got a semi here, lol. Felt makes a good bike and their carbon rides really well! Excellent choice, you've got a first bike that could last you a really long time. Did you have a fitting done yet?
Old 18 May 2011, 20:04
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAT194 View Post
Did you have a fitting done yet?
I just did a 1 hr fitting with the shop owner when I got it. Since it was my first tri bike I'm sure I'm going to settle in to it. In a few months I'll look at doing a whiz bang cool guy gnat's ass detailed fitting. For now I'm just trying to get my taint use to the new position

I didn't even really look at Felts but as just a comparison to the P3, however, after I bought mine I looked more closely and they produce a good bike at a very reasonable price point.

The only thing I don't like is that the position of the rear brake (down by the crank) excludes the use of Ultegra crank. So I need to find a brake/crank set-up better than stock.
Old 18 May 2011, 20:28
Puttin' on the foil

that is a serious bike RS, dang.

I picked up a Trek 7.2FX for my commute to work which is 12 miles one way. I'm working up to it and I'm still working up to that distance but give it a few weeks and I think I'll be there.
Old 18 May 2011, 20:57
Cry havoc

Nice fucking bike bro! dayum....

The wife just asked me today of I was going to do the town tri today.....hmmmm... An old running pal asked how my knees were treating me today, then another dad at a cub scout meeting asked if I wanted to ride on Sautrday....this must be a sign.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 19 May 2011, 03:26
Conquer Life.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I just bought a Jamis Dakar mountain bike. I know nothing about Jamis but found one for half price. Full suspension and seems to be a quality bike, if not as popular as Trek, Specialized, Giant etc....

Great buy, especially at half price. Some other brands are way over priced because of the big name. Jamis makes some really nice bikes and the Dakar is one of them. 5" of travel is all you really need to have some serious fun, and the XC bikes are usually lighter. What year? Hope to see some pics once you get it!

I just picked up a 2011 Giant Reign 1. I agree that used bikes may be the way to go... but I already have a used Fisher Cake and wanted something that I can crash into trees and break my collar bone on... ummmm... I mean, well, yeah, that's probably accurate.

RS, good looking Tri-bike! I just did the Iron Bruin triathlon at UCLA. Good time! Looking for a reason to bike SLO again in June/July if you're around.

“Now from a distance I look back on what the Corps taught me: To think like men of action, and to act like men of thought! To live life with intensity, and a passion for excellence.” - Jim Mattis
Old 19 May 2011, 04:16
Been There Done That

Quote:

Jamis makes solid bikes and the Dakar is definitely a good one to get into it if you're an entry level rider!

Here's just one of the reviews I found online that substantiates that. Jamis Dakar XC

I've always liked their bikes but have traditionally been a Marin guy. Got a Felt in 08 and ended up giving it away last year. Felt Q520

Been looking really hard at getting a 2010 Marin Indian Fire Trail but have a guy I work with who builds bikes at unbelievable prices. I've also been toying with the idea of getting a fully, just haven't spent enough time on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketKings
Bought myself a Litespeed Pisgah (hardtail Ti Mountain Bike). It has all Shimano XTR components, Mavic rims with Chris King hubs, Cane Creek headset, Thompson Seatpost, Rockshox SID Team forks, yadda, yadda.

The thing is top end everything and had been ridden (get this) fewer than 250 miles. IT weighs less than 21 lbs.

I got it for $1000 even. It's 8 years old and had been sitting in dude's garage for years. MSRP was over $3500 back then.

I will NEVER buy a new bike again. There are steals out there.
That is an amazing deal. The frame alone is still worth more than a grand and if it hasn't been beaten (which yours apparently hasn't) then you've got thousands of miles left on that. Congratulations on finding that gem!

If I could find an old but very lightly used Cadex or LiteSpeed with XTR complete I wouldn't care if it was built in the late 90's - those were my dream bikes when I was growing up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersnaplink
Just got my first tribike Best purchase I've made besides my HD. Picked up about 5min on my 25mi route and raised my avg speed by about 3 mph. I was looking at a Cervelo P3 but went with a Felt B16 full carbon in the Regimental Black and Red. Ultgra front/rear derailers, upgraded full carbon drop bars, brake handles all for $2600. Better components than the P3 for $1000 less.
That is a beautiful bike, brother. Although I was also a huge fan of the CP2 and CP3, you can't go wrong with a Felt, IMO. Great value, good build and it's going to last you for a lifetime if you take care of it, which I'm sure you will.

The color scheme is perfect!

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 19 May 2011, 11:41
In Vino Veritas

Thanks guys, I'm enjoying her that's for sure.

Balls: I'm doing the SLO sprint in July...if I'm home.
Old 19 May 2011, 21:07
Life Aquatic

Nice new ride. With your savings you can get a planet x 80 front and a disc cover for the rear and blow by all the guys on their $10000 speed concepts. I just sold the transition I posted about in this thread. Even though it was fit I could never get comfortable in the aero position. I am looking at a few b16s, dont think you can beat that bike for the money.
Old 21 May 2011, 02:12
Conquer Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers snaplink View Post
Balls: I'm doing the SLO sprint in July...if I'm home.
I'm in. Let me know when you find out for sure and I'll sign up.

“Now from a distance I look back on what the Corps taught me: To think like men of action, and to act like men of thought! To live life with intensity, and a passion for excellence.” - Jim Mattis
Old 21 May 2011, 22:03
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
I'm in. Let me know when you find out for sure and I'll sign up.
I signed up, it's just a matter if I'm going to be home
Old 23 May 2011, 13:29
Semper Fi

This looks...

Badass. Does anyone know where this is?

"I wish you could see, what I can see... Sometimes, you have to be up really high... To understand how small you are. I'm coming home now." Felix Baumgartner
Old 23 May 2011, 13:57
Midgetologist

Quote:

Got mine in 05 used,still going strong.
They have a following and Folks tend to stick with them.
I have no regrets on my purchase and would recommend Jamis to someone.
Let us know how you like it.
Old 23 May 2011, 21:13

GIANT XTC 29er

I've been riding a Schwinn Criss/Cross for a few years, but recently got into mountain biking. I now have a GIANT XTC 29er and love it!!!!!! Best bike I've ever had!!!

Our new posting rules