Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 24 June 2008, 08:13
Authorized Personnel

Biomechanics of Running, Five Fingers Merged Thread

Anyone use them? Just bought a pair to see how they feel. Wondering if there is any downside to training (running/crossfit) with them.

Not a pic of me
Old 24 June 2008, 12:11

I wear them now almost all of the time. Being in the Teams, we (at least the guys in my platoon) would always want to run around bare foot and were always getting yelled at for it... We always wanted to be in pt shorts with no shirts and got yelled at for that too...

Anyways, I got my pair about a month ago and I do everything in them from run 400 M sprints to just about any Crossfit workout that doesn't involve jumpropes ( they sting a bit at high speed). Otherwise, like I said, all training in them when I have to wear shoes. If given the option I still go barefoot though.

There are a lot of really cool videos of guys running in rocky terrain in them, some others doing parkour, although that isn't really my scene.
Old 24 June 2008, 13:02
Fitness Mod

I've been checking them out for a couple months. There are guys running marathons in them. May have to buy a pair.
Old 24 June 2008, 13:58
Confirmed Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncasey4 View Post
Anyways, I got my pair about a month ago and I do everything in them from run 400 M sprints to just about any Crossfit workout that doesn't involve jumpropes ( they sting a bit at high speed). Otherwise, like I said, all training in them when I have to wear shoes. If given the option I still go barefoot though.
My feet sweat alot, is that going to be an issue wearing these?
I guess one could cut out the toes on a pair of low socks, and tape around the balls of feet so they don't slide around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncasey4 View Post
There are a lot of really cool videos of guys running in rocky terrain in them, some others doing parkour, although that isn't really my scene.
How well do they hold up/last in a rocky environment?
Old 24 June 2008, 14:32
Quiet Professional

Do they come in hetero?:D

...so are we just "at odds"
Old 24 June 2008, 15:24
I aim to misbehave

I'm definitely going to have to procure a pair of those for testing. They look comfortable as hell.

While true:
Continue
Old 24 June 2008, 15:42
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotnMore View Post
My feet sweat alot, is that going to be an issue wearing these?
I guess one could cut out the toes on a pair of low socks, and tape around the balls of feet so they don't slide around.

How well do they hold up/last in a rocky environment?
They fit very snug. Not tight. I ran a few miles through Central Park in them and they felt fine. My feet and calves are not used to it yet but it was a unique feeling.
Old 24 June 2008, 15:44
Violent Social Worker

Are these endorsed by Ashida Kim? :D
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 24 June 2008, 15:47
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN View Post
Do they come in hetero?:D
No, but they come in ultra gay. :D
Old 24 June 2008, 16:00
Fitness Mod

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/pro...ducts_Flow.cfm

I like the Flow. They're suggested for Cold Weather Running, Light Trekking, Climbing, Bouldering, Canyoneering, Fitness Training, Martial Arts, Yoga, Pilates, Sailing, Boating, Kayaking, Canoeing, Surfing, Flats Fishing
Old 24 June 2008, 16:25
I aim to misbehave

Anyone know the difference between the TC-1 "performance rubber," and the GM-50 "grip rubber," in the "Flow?"

While true:
Continue
Old 24 June 2008, 19:13
Confirmed User

Easy to break toes in that, no? Oh, and make that 'uber-gay'. :D
Old 24 June 2008, 22:14
Confirmed User

Quote:
Flats Fishing
My flats boots are a lot tougher than those. Somehow I don't think that'll stop the sharp pointy stuff from going through your feet...

The Five Fingers look comfortable, but I'd hesitate to wear them in the heat and anywhere you need serious cushion in the sole. I imagine that they'd be really good for beach running...
Old 24 June 2008, 22:25
shiver me timbers

Those would be an excellent addition to my gorilla suit.
Old 25 June 2008, 00:49
Killed In Action 10 AUG 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by e5wsf View Post
Wondering if there is any downside to training (running/crossfit) with them.

I specifically asked about these when I was at the Crossfit Run endurance cert. Brian Mackenzie, the ultra marathoner who runs the endurance cert said that he has two pairs and he highly recommends them. I run in racing flats right now, but I'm going to pick up a pair and give them a whirl.
Old 25 June 2008, 01:14
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter8654 View Post
I specifically asked about these when I was at the Crossfit Run endurance cert. Brian Mackenzie, the ultra marathoner who runs the endurance cert said that he has two pairs and he highly recommends them. I run in racing flats right now, but I'm going to pick up a pair and give them a whirl.
Good info. Thanks.
Old 25 June 2008, 01:22
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon View Post
My flats boots are a lot tougher than those. Somehow I don't think that'll stop the sharp pointy stuff from going through your feet...

The Five Fingers look comfortable, but I'd hesitate to wear them in the heat and anywhere you need serious cushion in the sole. I imagine that they'd be really good for beach running...
They are not designed for the combat or construction zone. The heat is is fine. I bought the Flow in black, ran when it was 85ish with humidity and all was good. Over 100 degrees and there may be concern but I have no contact with that environment. BTW, when you run with those on people look at you like you're an alien. My calves and feet are very sore today. My NB's never leave me in this condition but the 5Fs made me run on the balls and mid sole of my feet. No heel first running. I felt fast and light on my feet. I am neither.
Old 25 June 2008, 02:06
Confirmed User

Chirunning will be all the rage now.

Hey, someone had the forethought to make socks for these things.

http://www.injinji.com/
Old 25 June 2008, 17:58
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by e5wsf View Post
They are not designed for the combat or construction zone. The heat is is fine. I bought the Flow in black, ran when it was 85ish with humidity and all was good. Over 100 degrees and there may be concern but I have no contact with that environment. BTW, when you run with those on people look at you like you're an alien. My calves and feet are very sore today. My NB's never leave me in this condition but the 5Fs made me run on the balls and mid sole of my feet. No heel first running. I felt fast and light on my feet. I am neither.
I live in San Antonio, where we have 100º+ heat pretty routinely. As soon as my pair gets here, I'll let you know how they do in this kind of heat.

While true:
Continue
Old 26 June 2008, 00:35
Sweep the leg...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger5280 View Post
Someone tell Frodo his shoes have been stolen!!:D

I know, I know, don't knock em' till you try em'. I was at Backwoods just last week when these things caught my eye. Then the hippie chick that works there comes over wearing the ones I'm holding and is telling me all about them when my cell phone rings and as soon as I hang up she starts in on about how bad cell phones are for the environment.

Last edited by grappler; 26 June 2008 at 03:25.

Our new posting rules