Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 31 August 2012, 01:01

Just my two cents... I dont have a runners physique (5'10", 215, big legs, flat feet). I knew that my biggest weakness is/was running. So I just concentrated on running running running. I started to feel pain in my left knee (specifically under my left patella). After some research I went for the New Balance Minimus. It took me 4-5 months to actually run in them for any extended time. My knee doesnt hurt anymore because of them. However, now I am going the barefoot direction. My form feel impeccable. No pain at all-- only blisters on my feet. We will have to see how long that takes to toughen them up to 3d world specification.. I recommend it to anyone who has a beach or clean sidewalks. If you have knee pain on down hill running, barefoot virtually eliminates it. Try it out for a week or two. Plus its cheap!!
Old 28 April 2015, 22:11

I know this thread's been quiet for a bit.

Been wearing those standard, Big-Army-recommended, super-thick running shoes my whole adult life. Heel pain and plantar pain are a way of life... Many times I quit my runs with plenty of cardio left in me, but no more pain tolerance for my poor dawgs.

Just sized myself for some VFFs today, ran on a treadmill for a quarter mile in them at the store. Felt great... But wrong size, by a titch. Waiting on the right one.

Went home and ran a half mile on my home treadmill ... barefoot style, as shown on the Harvard.edu site mentioned earlier in this thread.

Love it. Yup, the Achilles and calves are smoked, but I can train that. Zero pain -- some hot spots on my monkey-toes.

I'm excited. I'll try not to do anything stupid like go run a halfie barefoot or anything ... but still. Excited.

Thanks all for the good reading.
Old 29 April 2015, 13:56
Supporterator

I switched away from running shoes a few years back after doing my homework, and reading the book that's mentioned in the title of this thread. I do almost all of my training in Chuck Ts including running any distance less than three miles(Nike Free for any distance work). It still smokes my calves and Achilles more than before, but it works for me.
Old 11 September 2015, 10:42
Confirmed User

I recently returned to running, after having been a sloth for years. I never paid much attention to the footwear before, but definitely do now. I tried the Five Fingers on, but have problems with my little toes, so did not choose those. I went with a pair of the New Balance Minimus (the trail ones) for my first pair. They felt great and I really liked them. The only problem I really found with them was their durability. They just did not last terribly long. The terrain was not terribly rough, so that was not the issue. I read a number of reviews on them and found that was a common complaint.

Since then, I have bought a pair of Merrell Road Gloves and think I have found the shoes for me. I put on between 3-5 miles each outing, usually 3-4 times per week. So far they are holding up really well. For those who like the barefoot style, but still require a shoe, it is worth taking a look at these.
Old 11 September 2015, 13:06
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekeish View Post
I recently returned to running, after having been a sloth for years. I never paid much attention to the footwear before, but definitely do now. I tried the Five Fingers on, but have problems with my little toes, so did not choose those. I went with a pair of the New Balance Minimus (the trail ones) for my first pair. They felt great and I really liked them. The only problem I really found with them was their durability. They just did not last terribly long. The terrain was not terribly rough, so that was not the issue. I read a number of reviews on them and found that was a common complaint.

Since then, I have bought a pair of Merrell Road Gloves and think I have found the shoes for me. I put on between 3-5 miles each outing, usually 3-4 times per week. So far they are holding up really well. For those who like the barefoot style, but still require a shoe, it is worth taking a look at these.
I'm getting 6-8 months out of my Merrells. That thin material they use near the arch doesn't hold up but they take more abuse than any other shoe I've tried (except the Vibrams).
Old 15 April 2016, 10:41
Midgetologist

Just got a pair of VFF Spyridon MRs today wanted the thicker sole for trails and such. My Sprints which were my first pair are still going strong, use them mostly for in the water now.I use a pair of EL-Xs in the gym.

I have worn out a pair of classics and Treks I find they last longer than any other shoes I have owned.

Our new posting rules