Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 4 December 2009, 12:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
Sometimes I think people make running too complicated. Granted, this is coming from someone who's knees are not the happiest they have been, but I can generally feel comfortable in my runtimes -- considering the pathetic amount of time I actually dedicate to this area.

Still, I won't lie when I state I am intrigued by some of your comments. I'm not sure I am intrigued enough to change my running style to POSE. I might spring for the 5-Fingers shoes, though....
Yeah, I read the whole thread through yesterday, and thought to myself, it doesn't FEEL that complicated when I'm doing it, but it sure sounds like it when you try and explain it on the internet.

I guess the real measure we should apply is what feels biomechanically correct for our own running style. If it works, and you don't have pain, that's all that really matters. Eventually, one has build their own style out of all the information that's available. The fivefingers rock. Definitely try some out. My calves and feet themselves have gotten a lot stronger since I started running in them. I do my workouts in them as well, and a trainer came by while I was doing some squats and commented on how good she thought they were for making sure your form is perfect, because you can see everything that's going on in the foot and the ankle during lifts. Pretty cool.
Old 4 December 2009, 13:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
Sometimes I think people make running too complicated....
Was exactly the point of my next post on the topic....

Dude, get the VFF, they are awesome. You feel all kinds of things you're not used to feeling and they show how weak your feet have become. Driving a car will show you that your toes have become feckless nubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okami1
- If it works, and you don't have pain, that's all that really matters.
That nails it.

For my first short - and I mean short - run in the VFF I just went out and ran keeping only two things in mind: upright posture with slight forward lean and focus on lifting feet rather than pushing off (< major point). The footfall and stride length took care of itself. I'm wondering if worrying about pelvis tilt is really all that beneficial???? It seems to me that struggling for an unnatural pelvic tilt would be more strenuous, so I'm not doing that. Also, that runaway fruitcake feeling disappeared. It's really not all that goofy.

Born to Run is a GREAT book! It makes you want to go run which, in my case, is an unexplainable phenomenon.
Old 4 December 2009, 13:18
Confirmed User

Oh, for those interested in barefoot running, wanted to post this from that pdf book I downloaded:

Stage 1
2 weeks
Walk around barefoot as many places as possible. Do not start running yet. This will begin to condition your feet and soles for more active barefoot running. This stage could also include barefoot activities such as hiking. There is no mileage associated with the stage. Also, it is recommended to do some leg strengthening exercises throughout this stage. Move on to stage two if you do not experience pain after two weeks. If you already do a lot of barefoot activity, this step may be skipped.

Stage 2
2 weeks
Begin walking in place barefoot. Slowly increase the cadence until you are slowly running in place. The idea is to learn how it feels to lightly touch the ground and pull your feet straight up without pushing off. This will also begin the process of preparing the bones, muscles, tendons, and ligaments of your feet to barefoot running. Start with 30 seconds of running in place 2-3 times per day. Increase this time by 15 seconds each day. Move on to stage three when you can run in place for three minutes without pain. If you already do a lot of barefoot activity, this step may be skipped.

Stage 3
4 weeks
Find hard, smooth surface without debris. Examples include new asphalt, smooth sidewalks, or running tracks. Begin running three times per week with at least one rest day after each barefoot run. Limit distance to 1/8 to 1/4 mile depending on running experience. Increase distance by 1/8th mile each day. Pace should be VERY slow; the focus is on finding a form that works well for you. If you experience pain, take an extra day off. If you develop blisters, slow down or reevaluate form. Move on to stage four when you are able to run 1.5 miles barefoot without pain, including one or two days after the barefoot run (some injuries are not immediately apparent).

Stage 4
4 weeks
Begin adding different terrain, including softer surfaces and hills. This can include grass, dirt trail, sand, etc. A good strategy is to run a hard surface one day, then a soft surface the next. At this stage, you should be running approximately 1.5 miles barefoot. During this stage, continue adding 1/8th mile per run. Continue going slow, your focus is going to be perfecting your form. Again, if you experience blisters, slow down. If you feel pain, take a day off. Move on to stage five when you are able to run 3 miles barefoot without pain, including one or two days after the barefoot run (some injuries are not immediately apparent).

Stage 5
No specific time frame
By this point, you should be running about 3 miles per run. You may begin experimenting with slowly increasing your pace, increasing your distance, or adding technical trails or hills to your routine. Only add one element at a time. Do not increase distance by more than 10% per week or speed by more than 15 seconds per mile. Again, if you experience blisters, slow down. If you feel pain, take a day off. Your feet should now be conditioned enough to be your “running shoe” of choice for most of your runs. Just keep in mind that completing this transition is similar to earning your black belt in martial arts; which is considered the point at which you know the basics and true learning begins...not where the learning ends. Take it slow, listen to your body and enjoy your journey.
Old 5 December 2009, 10:37
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoked View Post
Dude, get the VFF, they are awesome. You feel all kinds of things you're not used to feeling and they show how weak your feet have become. Driving a car will show you that your toes have become feckless nubs.
Haha, I agree with that.

I'll endorse VFF. I really like my pair I've had since October 2008- they really have improved my running form. Eventually I got to the point where I wore them everywhere but now that it's winter, not so much.
Old 7 December 2009, 10:47
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

I don't have access to weights at the moment, so when CF WODs call for them, I sub a previous WOD. Today I sub'd 10 rounds of 100m sprints.

There ain't no way in hell I am going to admit my times. Fuck off.

I'm too old....
Old 7 December 2009, 15:58
Confirmed User

Pfft, sprinting isn't for everyone. I've always sucked, but can run long distances fast, and ruck all day.

So what were your times?
Old 8 December 2009, 04:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Are these endorsed by Ashida Kim? :D
No...you...didn't. lol

These things rule. I wear them everywhere, and yes...I get the strange remarks/looks along with the "gay jokes" from my buddies. But I will tell you this...these things friggin' rule. Get a pair.
Old 11 December 2009, 12:10
Confirmed User

Since I skipped steps 3-5 above and went out on a 3 mile run/walk, I can barely walk. My calves are past sore, they're in downright f'ing pain.
Old 11 December 2009, 12:17
Confirmed User

My habit has been to push past the soreness with almost all other exercise techniques and methods. Not with this one. I feel you man. There were days when I got started where walking was more like hobbling.
Old 11 December 2009, 12:29
Confirmed User

Hobbling is all I can do and I'm with you, can't imagine pushing past this.

Sucks because I'm eager to see how far I can go on the next run. (I can't believe I just wrote that. )
Old 11 December 2009, 12:37
Confirmed User

A REALLY good way to get the soreness to keep moving out is to do some foam rolling. Basically set your legs up on the roller and let the hard foam massage the soreness out. It hurts, but it seriously helps. This is a good habit for any sore muscles, but especially on the calves/achilles area and the IT bands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoked
Sucks because I'm eager to see how far I can go on the next run.
Old 13 December 2009, 22:41
Good Idea Fairy

They look kinda frightening. Almost like a chopped off Gorillas foot.
But, my interest is definitely peeked.
Old 14 December 2009, 01:29
jump fiend

Looking into the KSO Trek right now. Mil pricing? Hopefully good :)
Grief comes, but time will ease the pain.
Life ends, but death cannot erase it.
In memory, they will always remain.
Old 15 December 2009, 20:28
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by okami1 View Post
A REALLY good way to get the soreness to keep moving out is to do some foam rolling. Basically set your legs up on the roller and let the hard foam massage the soreness out. It hurts, but it seriously helps. This is a good habit for any sore muscles, but especially on the calves/achilles area and the IT bands.
That roller worked wonders,dude. Thanks. I forgot I had one and never really used it, but after yesterday's 3 miler, I REALLY needed it. Seemed to help a TON.

Incidentally, I was in NYC this past weekend - walking everywhere - and as I was having lunch in Little Italy, I recalled that Terra Plana (vivo barefoot shoe technology) had a store in NY. Looked it up on my phone and it turned out I was sitting 1/2 a mile from their only location in the USA. What luck. Made the walk and purchased some casuals for work. Those things are most comfortable.
Old 16 December 2009, 01:21
jump fiend

Anyone have direct word on mil pricing from these guys?

They haven't answered my emails yet and I'm getting impatient... :)
Grief comes, but time will ease the pain.
Life ends, but death cannot erase it.
In memory, they will always remain.
Old 19 December 2009, 19:24

I askede about Mil pricing as well never got a return said f*ck it and bought a pair awhile ago in july. I love the things...origianlly bought for grappling, now i wear them almost everywhere for working out and running as well. The first run they killed my calves, after the third run I got used to it though. All I can say is that when I wear the I feel like a ninja that alone is worth the price lol.
Old 19 December 2009, 20:09
Confirmed User

My toes are long and skinny, people get scared. I'm doubtfull they would fit me very well, but I like what I hear about them.
Old 19 December 2009, 20:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsC0321 View Post
My toes are long and skinny, people get scared. I'm doubtfull they would fit me very well, but I like what I hear about them.
Don't worry about that- I have very long and skinny toes. I'm way over 6 feet as well. I first started out with size 46, but could probably use a 45 now that my feet are shorter in total length. Supposedly there's a tape of some sort in your foot that will tighten up after wearing Vibrams (or walking barefoot) after a few months.
Old 19 December 2009, 21:01

Sorry Guys, but why the hell would you want to run or train or do anything else in these things? What's wrong with regular running shoes?
Old 19 December 2009, 21:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Bravo View Post
Sorry Guys, but why the hell would you want to run or train or do anything else in these things? What's wrong with regular running shoes?
Vibrams are chick magnets. Don't believe me, wear them around yourself.

Not that I need Vibrams to attract females- I'm just saying.

Our new posting rules