Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Naval Special Warfare > Navy SEALs

Old 28 June 2009, 23:32
Banned User

Park Dedication

Today (06.28.2009), in remembrance of Operation Red Wings there was a park dedication ceremony to commemorate our soldiers KIA on June 28, 2005. A huge debt of gratitude and a "THANK YOU" to these brave soldiers and their loving families for their ultimate sacrifices.
God's Blessings and Love always.

Never Forget

(The park is located in Oahu, HI at the park formally named Ft. Ruger on Diamond Head Rd & Kahala Ave. If you are ever in the area give it a visit. The community of NSW and Oahu did good on making the ceremony and the park its self, all come together. Thank you!)

PS: I have a picture of the park ceremony with the team guys (faces blurred out) but I am not sure if I can upload it, or if I have the privilege to do so yet. Curious?
Old 29 June 2009, 00:22
Confirmed User

RIP.

I will definitely visit the park when I get back to Hawaii.
Old 29 June 2009, 09:36
Violent Social Worker

I just finished "Lone Survivor" and it will definitely be added to the library near "Five Years to Freedom".
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 29 June 2009, 10:12
In God We Trust...all others are suspect

RIP Warriors
Old 29 June 2009, 11:53

NEVER forget
Old 29 June 2009, 12:39
Confirmed User

RIP Warriors

BRC
Old 29 June 2009, 12:45
Been There Done That

RIP Warriors.

RgrDrew
Old 29 June 2009, 15:11
On the Extract Bird

For those of you who have not seen it, here is the commemorative plaque located at the training facility in Coronado dedicated to the SEALs and Nightstalkers who died during Operation Red Wing.

The picture entitled "Moment of Truth" represents the moment when a candidate chooses his path - he either rings the bell and walks away or he honors the memory of the men whose names are etched on the plaque and returns to his class and continues his training in the hope of one day wearing the SEAL Trident.

RIP Warriors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 530.jpg (20.2 KB, 922 views)
Old 29 June 2009, 16:08
Confirmed User

It's because of men like these that my family is thankful for the freedoms that we all enjoy.
Thanks to all involved in Operation Redwing, and to all who have at some point picked up a weapon and did an honorable job defending our freedom.
Semper Fi
Old 29 June 2009, 16:16
Clan Stiùbhard (Stuart)..

RIP Warriors ~ We will NEVER forget
Old 29 June 2009, 19:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
For those of you who have not seen it, here is the commemorative plaque located at the training facility in Coronado dedicated to the SEALs and Nightstalkers who died during Operation Red Wing.

The picture entitled "Moment of Truth" represents the moment when a candidate chooses his path - he either rings the bell and walks away or he honors the memory of the men whose names are etched on the plaque and returns to his class and continues his training in the hope of one day wearing the SEAL Trident.

RIP Warriors.
New background.
Old 29 June 2009, 19:25
Authorized Personnel

I copied the original post above and posted it to my blog yesterday. (And credited agonyea and Socnet)

I just checked the comments and was surprised (and quite honored) to find a reply from Mike Murphy's dad. He has some interesting news about a new book based on Operation Redwing.

Go to the post.

I responded on the blog and also by email, and invited him to stop by here. Hopefully he'll check in soon.
Old 29 June 2009, 19:51
Confirmed User

I found this today after my earlier post. I was talking about the Crossfit workout "Murph" I'll take it as a sign that the Lt appreciates being remembered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0629091945.jpg (15.6 KB, 887 views)
Old 4 July 2009, 01:33
Confirmed User

Dedication Ceremony for Lt Michael P. Murphy Combat Training Pool

The Commanding Officer, Naval Station Newport
and
The Commanding Officer, Officer Training Command Newport
announce the Dedication Ceremony for the
LT Michael P. Murphy Combat Training Pool
Thursday, the nine of July, 2009 at 1PM
Old 4 July 2009, 12:18
Sweep the leg...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpCut View Post
I copied the original post above and posted it to my blog yesterday. (And credited agonyea and Socnet)

I just checked the comments and was surprised (and quite honored) to find a reply from Mike Murphy's dad. He has some interesting news about a new book based on Operation Redwing.

Go to the post.

I responded on the blog and also by email, and invited him to stop by here. Hopefully he'll check in soon.
Very cool. Thanks JumpCut.

RIP SEALs.
RIP Soldiers.
Old 16 August 2009, 02:11

MSG Tre Ponder

Greetings and respect to you all,
I am nothing special, I went to high school with MSG Tre' Ponder. We played travel team together and had lost touch since HS. I have a few great stories about him that I will not bore you with. The last time I saw Tre' after graduation was at his funeral when I pomised LP that I would hit back every chance I had. My deepest sorrows and greatest love to all of you for the losses that you endured and continue to endure from this day and any other.
Another classmate of ours is a SEAL. I spoke with LP about him at the funeral and heard that Tre' and him had actually done a few missions together. I would like to locate him and see how he is doing. If any of you can help, I would appreciate it. None of us knew the others were serving. Thanks for all that you do.
Respectfully,
SGT Jason Kenney
19D, 11B
Old 18 August 2009, 17:16
Shop smart, Shop S-Mart

Metro-area road dedicated to fallen commando

RIP gentlemen.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_13149943

LITTLETON, Colo.—State officials and family members of slain Colorado Navy SEAL Danny Dietz will help dedicate a stretch of South Santa Fe Drive in the commando's honor.

The ceremony was planned for 10 a.m. Tuesday at Vanderbilt Park, North of Mississippi Avenue. The stretch of Santa Fe Drive from the intersection with Interstate 25 to C-470 will be named Petty Officer Danny Dietz Memorial Highway.

Dietz grew up in Littleton and graduated from Heritage High School in 1999. He was killed in 2005 in Afghanistan in a gun battle with Taliban forces when his unit was ambushed.

The military says Dietz fought off attackers for more than 45 minutes, allowing one of his team members to escape. He was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross, the Navy's second-highest medal.
Old 17 October 2009, 16:42

Hi. This is Navy SEAL Lt. Michael P. Murphy's Dad.....Daniel J. Murphy. Just wanted to let you all know how proud of I am of all of you and wanted to thank you for all the rememberances and tributes to my son. He was an incredible child, boy, young man, and adult and I am honored and grateful to have been blessed with him by God and able to call him my son. Thank you all for remembering him and his team. They were incredibly brave individuals and Michael was blessed with being a part of the Navy SEAL community whom he loved so much.
I did want to let everyone know that an author, Gary Williams, contacted the family and after about 18 months of research (and living with the familyfor awhile) wrote an incredible biography of Michael. We were adamant that Michael was first and foremost a team player and so while it is Michael's biography, its also about his team and Operation Redwing. At the family's insistence the author not only brings Michael's incredible history and life to the reader but spends some considerable time letting the readers know about the rest of the team, who they were, what they did, their awards, their family and what incredible men they were.
The book was originally titled "When Character met Circumstance; The Life of Navy SEAL Lt. Michael P. Murphy" the title coming from a speech Admiral Maguire gave at the Navy Memorial during the Medal of Honor ceremonies in Washington when he related How Michael's character came forward on that June day of 2005 when confronted with the circumstances he found himself and his team in on the mountain that fateful day. However, the publisher (being a publisher) wanted a catchy title and it has been re-titled as "SEAL of Honor; Operation Redwings and the Life of Lt. Michael P. Murphy USN". However, the family and the author really like the new title.
The book will be available or rolled out, we believe, on May 6th 2010 in time for the Navy SEAL Warrior dinner in New York City. The family is especially proud that a portion of the profits of the book will come back to the Navy SEAL community through Michael's Scholarship Foundation and to the Naval Special Warfare Foundation, Navy SEAL Warrior Fund and US Special Operations Foundation. I think Michael would really like that.
I will post as developments continue and we hear about the ship, USS Michael Murphy and the movie, Lone Survivor. Our good friend SOFCENTRIC who posts on this board or I will keep you all posted. Just wanted to say Hi and say Thank You.
Old 17 October 2009, 17:10
Marketing Tool

Honor & Privilege to have you aboard Sir.
Old 17 October 2009, 17:29
Been There Done That

Welcome aboard Mr. Murphy. Your son epitomized the silent warrior/professional. Although he came through after my time frame and i did not know him personally, I coud only hope that in the same situation I would have acted as bravely as he did.

Last edited by s1chmoe; 17 October 2009 at 17:29. Reason: typo

Our new posting rules