Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 20 July 2008, 09:27
Retired Paratrooper, 1 ea

Never Surrender by LTG (RET) Jerry Boykin

I caught this in the Fayetteville Observer yesterday. Should be an interesting read. I had the pleasure to serve under then COL Boykin.
http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=299636
Old 20 July 2008, 10:49
Administrator

Hmmm, I'll "wait and see". I get the impression that it will lean heavily into the religious side, which I generally don't care for.

Loved by few, judged by many
Old 13 August 2008, 13:04
Scotty's Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
Hmmm, I'll "wait and see". I get the impression that it will lean heavily into the religious side, which I generally don't care for.
Here's part of a review from Amazon -

Quote:
Co-written by New York Times best selling author Lynn Vincent, Never Surrender: A Soldier's Journey to the Crossroads of Faith and Freedom gets your interest on page one and keeps it through the entire book. The book's structure helps with the presentation. It is divided in thirteen sections. Each section covers one of the stages of Jerry Boykin's life or a major US operation he was involved in. Each section is divided into short, action-packed chapters.

The book tells story after story of how famous military operations went down. The Iran Hostage Crisis, Sudan, Grenada, Panama, Waco and the Branch Davidians, Columbia, Somalia, the Balkans and more give great insight into contemporary US military history.

Jerry Boykin is a born-again Christian. The role of his faith is very tastefully woven into each story. You will not feel preached at, but rather have an appreciation of how his belief in God sustained and directed him.
Sounds to me like it might be pretty good. I'm with you on religion aspect but seems like he'd know how to keep that in check plus having a NY Times person as co-author *shrug*. It's probably worth the price.
Old 13 August 2008, 14:08
Retired Paratrooper, 1 ea

I finished it in a couple of days. I even had time to break away to Barnes and Noble and have him sign my copy. It was a quick read. Religon was a definate part of the book, but not the most important part. Like the review said, I didn't feel "preached" to. Give a different perspective to the operations he was involved in. I would recommend it.
Old 13 August 2008, 14:37
Scotty's Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I finished it in a couple of days. I even had time to break away to Barnes and Noble and have him sign my copy. It was a quick read. Religon was a definate part of the book, but not the most important part. Like the review said, I didn't feel "preached" to. Give a different perspective to the operations he was involved in. I would recommend it.
Thanks Hawkeye.
Old 25 August 2008, 15:23
We know who you are

I finished this book yesterday, good read. I did not find it preachy at all. The majority of the religious stuff in the book counters media accusations aimed at the General.
Old 25 August 2008, 21:44
Moderator Weapons & H2H

Started it yesterday. Sixty pages into it. So far I like it.

Rock

What people think about me is none of my business!

Thai Boxing: The sweetest science....The most brutal fighting sport in the world...Few men are cutout for it.
So for those who are not there is always Jiu-Jitsu.

YEMX
Old 24 October 2008, 15:34

Hello to all,

I just finished reading the book.
There is one aspect that raises questions: Somalia 1993, at the end of the chapter the General says he tried his best to protect his men, they changed the the way they conducted those snatches and so on.

BUT in Killer Elite the author points out that because they didn`t change their modus operandi the Somali militia learned their pattern and this was one of the facts that cost the life of some many us serviceman.

This is one thing that raises questions, contradicting information.
Old 24 October 2008, 19:18
Administrator

A dumb ass reporter vs. an operator. Figure it out.
Old 24 October 2008, 19:19
Ranger

The Somali militia was tipped off that we were leaving the Airfield and had time to get ready for us.

Task Force Ranger 1993
Old 25 October 2008, 05:22
Scotty's Mommy

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo57 View Post
The Somali militia was tipped off that we were leaving the Airfield and had time to get ready for us.
That was on all fronts wasn't it? Not just the initial party but the rescue as well i.e. once the blackhawks went down?

Also, wasn't Gen Garrison the CG in Somalia. I was unaware of Gen Boykin's involvement. Of course, I am not closely connected with anyone from Delta.

Army Time just had an article on Gen Boykin and his book. Not to carry rumors but it seems he's png'd re: delta.

Anybody wants to ask me about what I just said please do so via pm.
Old 25 October 2008, 05:30

As far as I remember some good readings about Gothic Serpent (Bowden's book, Atkinson's 1994 article), the US officers changed whether the infil was by ground vehicles or by chopper, whether the exfil was by ground vehicles or by chopper, and whether the op was conducted by day or night (when they could choose; on Oct. 3rd they couldn't). So in their views, they changed the way they conducted those snatches.

In the militias' views, it was nearly the same thing : they had to stop US ground convoys with barricades, to shot down the choppers, whether day or night. That's why an Aidid's officier said that the Americans had followed the same tactics six times. The seventh, the militais were more prepared than before.

@CMR : Gen. Garrison was the commander of Task Force Ranger (Rangers + 160th helos + Delta + some others). Boykin was the commander of the Delta detachment of Task Force Ranger.
Old 25 October 2008, 05:43
Scotty's Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteor View Post

BUT in Killer Elite the author points out that because they didn`t change their modus operandi the Somali militia learned their pattern and this was one of the facts that cost the life of some many us serviceman.
meteor - not slamming you but using your post as an example. Frog has the right of it by 100%
"A dumb ass reporter vs. an operator"

Recently, an instructor at the Naval Post Graduate College at Monterey stated that 7th SFG(A) losses in Afghanistan were due to their "inability to adapt from a jungle environment to a desert environment."

That's just as wrong as two dicks on a donkey. Special Operation Forces (SOF) are specifically trained to adapt to whatever environment they may find themselves.

This is a book forum not an opinion or discussion forum but wrongly held opinions need to be corrected regardless of where they are posted.
Old 25 October 2008, 05:51
Scotty's Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1 View Post

@CMR : Gen. Garrison was the commander of Task Force Ranger (Rangers + 160th helos + Delta + some others). Boykin was the commander of the Delta detachment of Task Force Ranger.
Thanks but I have to tell you that simply doesn't sound right. I have had drinks and conversation with General Garrison. He has always intimated that he was responsible. That is also what he told Congress.
Old 25 October 2008, 06:35
Greenhat
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-M-R View Post
Thanks but I have to tell you that simply doesn't sound right. I have had drinks and conversation with General Garrison. He has always intimated that he was responsible. That is also what he told Congress.
Reread it again. As I read it, that indicates Garrison was over Boykin (Boykin commanding a subordinate command - Delta- to Garrison - commanding TF Ranger).
Old 25 October 2008, 08:56

It was what I wanted to say, sorry if my English is not perfect.

The Atkinson's 1994 article can be found there : www.ssc.upenn.edu/~rousseau/archived_web/psci150/Atkinson.doc (word document)
Old 15 September 2016, 16:27
Life is simple, not easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-M-R View Post
Here's part of a review from Amazon -

The book tells story after story of how famous military operations went down. The Iran Hostage Crisis, Sudan, Grenada, Panama, Waco and the Branch Davidians, Columbia, Somalia, the Balkans and more give great insight into contemporary US military history.

Jerry Boykin is a born-again Christian. The role of his faith is very tastefully woven into each story. You will not feel preached at, but rather have an appreciation of how his belief in God sustained and directed him..
My church (Calvary Chapel Spring Valley) here in Las Vegas is having a Men's Conference October 1. (http://www.borders2016.com/)

General Boykin is one of the speakers. Since this will be my first Men's Conference I am intrigued to hear Gen. Boykin give his testimony. Should be fun.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Our new posting rules