Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 30 May 2009, 18:15
Just a wife

Thumbs up Horse Soldiers

By Doug Stanton

I just finished it .Very good book IMPO
I cried a few times ,very emotional book ..I recommend it highly

(I searched and didn't find another post about it ..sorry if I missed it )

Horse Soldiers is the dramatic account of a small band of Special Forces soldiers who secretly entered Afghanistan following 9/11 and rode to war on horses against the Taliban. The bone-weary American soldiers were welcomed as liberators, and overjoyed Afghans thronged the streets. Then the action took a wholly unexpected turn. During a surrender of six hundred Taliban troops, the Horse Soldiers were ambushed. Dangerously outnumbered, they fought for their lives. At risk were the military gains of the entire campaign: if the soldiers perished or were captured, the effort to defeat the Taliban might be doomed.

Until now the full story of the Horse Soldiers has never been told. Doug Stanton received unprecedented cooperation from the U.S. Army's Special Forces soldiers and Special Operations helicopter pilots, as well as access to voluminous after-battle reports. In addition, he interviewed more than one hundred participants and walked every inch of the climactic battleground.

Reaching across the cold mountains of Afghanistan and into the homes of small-town America, Horse Soldiers is a big-hearted and thrilling epic story from one of our preeminent storytellers.

STAY SAFE!!!!SLEEP WITH A SOLDIER
Old 30 May 2009, 18:41
Been There, Done That

I read and enjoyed the book! I concur with your report and then some!

My first thoughts were this is what I signed up to do in SF (UW) and never really got to do, for real.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.- T.E. Lawrence, "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"
Old 30 May 2009, 19:09
Ragnar Danneskjold

I'll third that recommend, for whatever it is worth.
Old 30 May 2009, 23:21
Confirmed User

I was actually kind of disapointed with the book.

I had read Stanton's In Harm's Way: The Sinking of the U.S.S. Indianapolis and the Extraordinary Story of Its Survivors a few years back and thought it was an incredible military history and very well written.

Horse Soldiers is an incredible story, and certainly one that deserves to be told, but it read as though it were rushed to publication and I believe that the story suffered baddly for it.

It was repetative, spotty, factually inacurate in a number of places (I'm speaking from the perspective of an E4 11B here, the mistakes I caught were those that it was within my grasp to catch, I can't speak to the factual accuracy of Special Forces related information), and I felt a little preachy.

I wouldn't warn anyone off of it, but I felt that Stanton and/or his editors could have done a much better job.

Last edited by Soot; 30 May 2009 at 23:24.
Old 31 May 2009, 00:57
Just a wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soot View Post
I was actually kind of disapointed with the book.

I had read Stanton's In Harm's Way: The Sinking of the U.S.S. Indianapolis and the Extraordinary Story of Its Survivors a few years back and thought it was an incredible military history and very well written.

Horse Soldiers is an incredible story, and certainly one that deserves to be told, but it read as though it were rushed to publication and I believe that the story suffered baddly for it.

It was repetative, spotty, factually inacurate in a number of places (I'm speaking from the perspective of an E4 11B here, the mistakes I caught were those that it was within my grasp to catch, I can't speak to the factual accuracy of Special Forces related information), and I felt a little preachy.

I wouldn't warn anyone off of it, but I felt that Stanton and/or his editors could have done a much better job.

I don't know anything about being factually inaccurate in a number of places(considering I wasn't actually there ) I just know that I could relate to so many things as a wife .
I could have wrote some of what he said .I actually had to put the book down a few times b/c it hit so close to home for me .Very emotional .It was one of the best books I have ever read .He down a wonderful job of describing certain things .

Last edited by 18Dwife; 31 May 2009 at 01:01.
Old 22 June 2009, 23:17
Drawing my cutlass

Reading it now. First 12 pages had me in shock (uprising at the fort). Next chapter had me pissed off (9/11).

How could we be so blindsided/stupid like that?
Old 22 June 2009, 23:39
Just a wife

It gets better and better with every chapter
I can't wait to see who they cast for the Movie !!

Old 6 July 2009, 23:35
Confirmed User

Atrocities??

I just started reading Horse Soldiers and found a statement made by the author early on in the book (2nd or third chapter) regarding Special Forces in Vietnam to be surprising. Basically he said that the officers in special Forces were worried that they would not be called on to fight in Afghanistan because of their reputation for growing their hair, dating the locals, and ignoring orders while fighting in Vietnam. He also stated that 5th group was responsible for the worst atrocities in Vietnam.

I don't believe I've ever heard that assertion made by any credible (maybe unbiased is a better term) source in all of the accounts of SF in Vietnam. It almost sounds like the author took a caricature of Special Forces created by Hollywood and the anti war crowd (such as the Winter Soldier accusations) over the last 30 or 40 years. Or maybe he interviewed John Reed (Cross Thread Points??)

Stanton doesn't attribute the assertion to anyone, so maybe it was an offhand comment from an officer worried about the perception of SF at the Pentagon, but it read like a well known fact.
Old 9 July 2009, 11:08
Confirmed User

mb5417,

I agree!
I'm about 1/3 through the book. It's good when he's directly quoting the
experiences of actual participants. It's terrible when he's giving background.
Just before the portion you quote, the author has the most fouled up history SF I've ever seen.

The author also has no concept of SF or SOF organization.
Like many authors, Stanton is short on research.
Old 15 July 2009, 11:43

I enjoyed the book as well but found the end of the book was rushed. The author took time to explain in detail the events leading up to the uprising at the fort but then pushed through it. I was estatic to see that the author, while writing the book about S.F., did not bash or put down the other personel involved with or assigned to the O.D.A.'s like has been done done in other books. I do not know how accurate it was since I was not there. I found it refreshing to see an author show how a small group of highly trained and dedicated men can effect the WORLD in such a positive way and for the most part telling the story of what went right and not what went wrong. Just my two cents.
Old 15 July 2009, 12:30
Confirmed User

crokee056,

I'm on page 230. When the author is describing the 2 ODAs operations, this book is excellent.

However, I have many of the works cited in the bibliography. For example, the USASOC study, Weapons of Choice, gives accurate details about the same subjects as Horse Soldiers. In describing the refueling during 595's infiltration, Doug Stanton states that the refueler was an AC-130 rather than an MC-130U Combat Shadow.

To many of us on SOCNET, this level of detail is secondary to the central story. However, this book is on the NYT Best Seler List. A lot of people who don't have our background knowledge are getting bad context.

I also appreciate that Stanton didn't bash other personnel.

I think Dick Couch's Sheriff of Ramadi is the best example of how to organize and write a non-fiction work like this.

The writing does seem rushed all the way through. This may be due to Stanton's publisher or editor.

If this book was longer, better organized, and better researched, it would have been a classic.

After I complete the book, I'm going to try to get in touch with Doug Stanton and give him a critique of his work. Maybe he has another book in him. I'd like to see him write a really great one.
Old 15 July 2009, 21:46

I was speaking with my Old Man just the other day, and he happened to mention that he was reading Horse Soldiers.

Incidentally, shortly after September 2001, my Dad, along with one of his cowboy colleagues were hired to put on a two-day horse craft clinic at a park in Virginia, for three warriors on their way to Afghanistan.

The way my dad described the guys, it sounded like they were contractors, or perhaps paramilitary; I remember him saying that they weren't kids, that they were from different branches, were quiet and professional, and that they were very quick studies.

I was all excited for my Dad, thinking the Army might reinstate the Calvary and give old cowboys like him cool new jobs.

A number of months after my Dad participated in that little seminar, a big, dirty, mysterious crate (total Indiana Jones style) arrived at the family farm. One of the soldiers had shipped his [presumably retired] Afghan saddle back stateside to my Dad. How sweet is that?
Old 16 July 2009, 08:51
Confirmed User

A very interesting story!
One of those anecdotes that pepper US SOF history.

I knew that 10th Group had training with horses and mules in Colorado.
Old 16 July 2009, 11:45
Drawing my cutlass

Probably because Pike's Peak is such a bitch of a ruck march...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec Ops Planner View Post
I knew that 10th Group had training with horses and mules in Colorado.
But what the hell do I know....
Old 18 August 2009, 22:09
Confirmed User

Just finished the book. Very interesting and well written. Just amazing how a handful of our warriors did what thousands of Soviets couldn't. Not saying that there isn't still a lot that needs to be done, getting off topic now.

Great read.
Old 19 August 2009, 00:31
Violent Social Worker

Just started it, very promising so far. I've never read a detailed account of the prisoner uprising before.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 19 August 2009, 10:52
Just a wife

I got to meet the Author last Friday .He is a nice man

Old 21 August 2009, 00:00
Been There Done That

X2 Trip Wire.
Old 21 August 2009, 08:19
Been There Done That

the old school way prevails...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berndernald View Post

A number of months after my Dad participated in that little seminar, a big, dirty, mysterious crate (total Indiana Jones style) arrived at the family farm. One of the soldiers had shipped his [presumably retired] Afghan saddle back stateside to my Dad. How sweet is that?
Without naming names, I am pretty sure I know who that was. Interesting story, there.

I should try once again to get him on here, actually. He actually worked for me once upon a time.

Tell your dad thanks for his service. He did them a huge favor.

MD
Old 21 August 2009, 15:50
Confirmed User

I was at work the other night commenting on reading a book on SF in Vietnam. The another RN asked which one. I told her the authors name was Stanton. She started laughing at me. I asked if she had read it, she said she probably read or had the manuscript read to her. I said its a book not a manuscript. She said the author is her father.

Im waiting on my signed copy now.

Blunt force and penetrating trauma are very educational tools-ME :D

There's only 2 ways to change someones mind about you, setting them on fire or slapping the shit out of them-Marcus Luttrell

Our new posting rules