Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 12 March 2010, 10:35
Been There Done That

Up bright and early to watch it, God how I've missed that sound!
Old 12 March 2010, 11:11
BTDT

"Faster than a speeding helicopter..." I know what you mean

P
Old 12 March 2010, 14:06
BTDT

This is going to be a good year... (just got done watching Friday 2nd Practice)

Laugh of the session: Seeing Ron Dennis back in the McLaren garage, now that Max Mosley is gone.

Save of the session: Jaime Alguersuari. The driving skill these guys have is unbelievable.

Technical innovation of the season: McLaren (even though I hate them). A manual valve, activated by the driver's knee, that dumps ducted air *under* the rear wing...to purposely negate the down-force and stall it...gaining 6mph down the straights.

Embarrassment of the season: USF1 No show. Don't let an Australian and an American try to field an F1 team...based out of Charlotte.

Best looking competitive car: Hate to say it, but...Petronas/Mercedes GP. Looks like a Fighter Jet.

Best looking car that will be lapped every 10 laps: Virgin Racing.

Rossberg - Mercedes GP 1.55.xxx
Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes .44 down
Schumacher - Mercedes GP .46 down <---after 3 years retirement

Ferrari was 1 second down and both in the top 10...and they're known to sandbag on purpose.

Surprise of the session: Hulkenberg and Petrov, top 10, rookie season.

Qualifying at 0600 Eastern, Saturday.

Race at 0730 Eastern, Sunday.

P
Old 12 March 2010, 14:22
Confirmed User

Tons of folks saying Schumacher is to old, to this or that.

Am so ready for the 'old' man to kick some ass!!!!

Let's just hope the car he rides can hold up..
Old 12 March 2010, 14:28
Been There Done That

Can't wait for qualifying tomorrow, should be awesome, everyone going light on fuel in all 3 sessions.

Mixed about what I expect from the races themselves this year, though. The no refueling thing... We'll see.

I really hope that Kobayashi can follow through on his performance at the end of last year. One of the most promising new drivers, IMO.
Old 13 March 2010, 00:37
Only slightly useless.

I think it should be a very competitive season with three teams fighting it out for wins.

Btw.....Mclarens new 'innovation' is illegal. It's a moveable aerodynamic device. Now if it's protested and ruled as such is another story.

" My Son is my new Hero"
Old 13 March 2010, 08:22
Been There Done That

It was protested, investigated, and cleared by the FIA. McLaren is good to go and the other teams are now racing to do the same. Problem is, it requires making a hole in the chasis which would require all the teams that implement it to redo crash tests.

Qualifying was definitely interesting. Not as "edge of your seat" as some of last year, but mainly because everyone is still in the "This is new, I don't know what we can do, I don't know what other teams can do, let's just take it slow."

What's interesting is how little you actually know at the end of qualifying with the new no-refuel races. Sure, we know who's fastest with low fuel, but the race is all about endurance. Who is going to be able to go the fastest the most fuel efficiently?

Tomorrow will be interesting.
Old 13 March 2010, 11:04
Only slightly useless.

The races are where the more experienced drivers will come to the forefront. Tactics and tire management will be the key.

" My Son is my new Hero"
Old 13 March 2010, 11:15
BTDT

I am very pleased Massa was .1 off Vettel and Fernando is in a new chassis. Congrats to Vettel though. I even think Michael did good after 3 years off. FIA/FOM Timing and Scoring needs to get their heads on straight...no graphics on the left during quali is just plain dumb.

Massa is first into T1 tomorrow

0800 after pre-race, set your clocks!

P
Old 13 March 2010, 11:24
Whatever Sucks the Most

I do not "get" racing.

I think super cars are wicked cool, just like any other dude who will never be able to afford one. I will go to the movies at Siam Paragon just so that I can linger at the Audi show room, or the Ferrari, Lambo, Lotus and Maserati show rooms before show time, and I will even eat there, even though that shopping center has to have the worst chow in the city.

Racing is boring. You watch dudes drive in circles. You wait for someone to crash. Periodically, if the producer is squared-away, he will have one of the cameramen zoom in tight on some hot chick in the audience.

Is that about right?

What am I missing?
Old 13 March 2010, 16:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
I do not "get" racing.

I think super cars are wicked cool, just like any other dude who will never be able to afford one. I will go to the movies at Siam Paragon just so that I can linger at the Audi show room, or the Ferrari, Lambo, Lotus and Maserati show rooms before show time, and I will even eat there, even though that shopping center has to have the worst chow in the city.

Racing is boring. You watch dudes drive in circles. You wait for someone to crash. Periodically, if the producer is squared-away, he will have one of the cameramen zoom in tight on some hot chick in the audience.

Is that about right?

What am I missing?
Talking about NASCAR or to a limited extent Indy Car/CART, I'm with you 100%.

When it comes to Formula 1, though, there's a few reasons it appeals to me.

1 - The cars themselves represent pushing the boundaries of technology, design, and human ingenuity. They are absolute marvels of aerodynamics and engineering.

2 - The level of strategy involved in winning a race. It isn't just about who can go fastest. You have to come up with a good pit strategy, adapt to accidents when they occur, know when to push the cars to the limits and when to back off. For example, the engines and transmissions will only last so long because they rev so high and they are actually part of the chassis - essentially everything after the driver is fuel tank, engine, and transmission with no supporting structure, those components themselves have to bear all of the loads during a race. So if you push too hard, you blow the engine too early, and you only have 8 engines for the entire season. Strategy, all about strategy.

3 - Pushing human limits. Most people don't think about it, but these drivers are in these cars for over an hour, going through 10-20 turns each lap (laps are usually 1:20 to 2:00 minutes each), each turn involving G loads in all three axes - lateral, longitudinal, and vertical - approaching and sometimes exceeding 4G's due to the turn, climbs/descents, and acceleration/deceleration. And during all of that, they still must communicate with spotters and engineers in the pits, listening to conditions on the track such as where other drivers are, and communicating how the car is handling to the engineers so they can push tire changes to the absolute last minute knowing that if they wait too long the tires can blow. All of this with limited visibility because they sit so low.

I could go on and on, but Formula 1 racing, to me, represents pushing human limits in every regard and technological limits to the absolute max.

There's a reason that they are now forced to take 4 weeks off in the fall in the middle of the season

Oh yeah, and there are lots of hot chicks wearing skimpy clothing

Seriously, if you can swing it, head over to Singapore and spend the full three days there (Practice, Qualifying, and Race Day). You'll be hooked!
Old 14 March 2010, 00:54
Only slightly useless.

And enough politics, lying, cheating, whining, and spying to make Congress seem like a daycare.

" My Son is my new Hero"
Old 14 March 2010, 01:19
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
Seriously, if you can swing it, head over to Singapore and spend the full three days there (Practice, Qualifying, and Race Day You'll be hooked!
The thing that I hate about public venues like that is the people (too many of them), but also the bathrooms.

I am old. I like to be able to get up from my easy chair and walk ten feet to my bathroom. And I can make my own sandwiches.

Old 14 March 2010, 01:45
Confirmed User

I took this after his last race in Brazil, his last post race interview. So glad to see him back, I bet as the season moves on he will continue to move up the grid. At that same race Vettel was in the pits with BMW, I swear he looked 14.. Great talent..

merlinn

Old 14 March 2010, 12:44
Only slightly useless.

Interesting race. Great Job by Massa on his first race back from injury, and congrates to Lotus for getting to the finish. Shumacher sixth on his return.

" My Son is my new Hero"
Old 14 March 2010, 13:49
BTDT

As Flava Flavio B would say (if he were allowed to talk to Fernando ) "Bravo, bravo, bravo!" I'm pleased, obviously. I would have loved to see Vettel and Alonso battle, even if it meant second...but that's racing. Schumi did fine. Anyone who thought he was going to podium after 3 years off...is on crack. By China, he'll be up there. 2 weeks to Melbourne.

Max, couldn't have said it better, great post.

P
Old 28 March 2010, 11:42
Been There Done That

MUCH better race this weekend!

Hamilton needs to get his ass kicked, as always. Can't stand that little prima donna punk and his attitude. Seriously, someone needs to punch him.

Button, great teamwork. Big gamble going with slicks so early, but it paid off. And that guy can drive fast yet not wear down the tires, simply amazing. If only he was more consistent, though. Just doesn't seem like his head is always in the game.

I'm starting to think Vettel is just pushing the Red Bull too hard. Time will tell, but it just seems like the car can't handle his driving.

Hopefully the rest of the season is like this race and not Bahrain.
Old 28 March 2010, 12:27
Authorized Personnel

GAWD I can't stand Hamilton. And what he said to his crew DURING the race? Seriously messed up.

I agree about Vettel, too. I really do think it's him more than anything else. He can gain a massive lead but I think he does so at the risk of his car... He mentioned during his interview after retiring: "I had seen some sparks and there was some vibration and we mentioned bringing it in to the pits, but.." .. dude... third time needs to be the charm. If you see a problem? Fix it.

Other than the child nipping at my heels, it was an awesome race to watch, IMO. Can't wait for Malaysia, now..
Old 28 March 2010, 14:41
Only slightly useless.

Good race. Everyone figured Hamilton would hand Button his head on a silver platter, but I think Button is better than his overall record shows. As for who has the momentum so far in the season....I'm starting to think I should put money on Massa.

" My Son is my new Hero"
Old 28 March 2010, 16:13
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeless Civilian View Post
Good race. Everyone figured Hamilton would hand Button his head on a silver platter, but I think Button is better than his overall record shows. As for who has the momentum so far in the season....I'm starting to think I should put money on Massa.
I think Massa did very well this race...

Our new posting rules