Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 5 April 2012, 19:44
On the Extract Bird

Anyone going to F1 at Austin, TX, November 16-18? Good times, I guarantee. F1 blows on TV, but in person it's quite the spectacle.
Old 7 April 2012, 03:06
Make a desert and call it peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
None of it beats World Rally:
Except they race a clock, there are no laps and you have random stupid shit like animals on the track.

V8Supercar is pretty cool also. The Aussies have the right idea for "stock cars."

I'd love to see F1 return to the Nurburgring. If they went to ethanol or E85 for fuel, or methanol like Indycar used to, that would largely eliminate the fire risk that was the main justification for abandoning the track after Nikki Lauda's crash. Combined with modern fuel cell design, modern track marshalling, etc I don't see any good reasons not to run the Ring. Group C ran it into the middle 80's or later, and they were as fast as the F1 cars. The Ring lap record is held by a 956. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 9 June 2012, 22:44
Cyber Terrorist

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop...1EFLa2C8&gl=US

Thought this was interesting. Doesn't look real comfortable.

Rudyard Kipling

I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one.
Old 19 November 2012, 04:38

So, who attended the race in TX? Anyone? How was turnout? There's little news considering it's a brand new track. S/F.....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 19 November 2012, 07:12
Been There Done That

Had planned on attending, really wanted to make it, dut it just didn't pan out. Looked like a good track, though (though it is hard to tell from watching only the onboard cameras).
Old 19 November 2012, 08:36
BTDT

Didn't go, but attendance was great according to reports and what it looked like on TV. 1st time in my life that I was rooting for Hamilton I'm an Alonso fanboy, but 7th to 4th in the first 500yds was pretty amazing. Vettel and Hamilton having a 30 second lead sucked for me, but was also amazing. 13 point deficit going into Brazil for the WDC. Webber broke in Austin, so miracles can happen

P
Old 20 November 2012, 12:22
Confirmed User

I couldnt make it Sunday but attendence was estimated over 115k on raceday. Shuttle buses ran sat. and sun. from downtown Austin where they blocked off an area by 6th street for live music, food, etc.

The track is challenging but still wide enough to break off persuit and recover without putting it in the wall ..

Mario Andretti was all over the place and Ron Howard was promoting his new movie Rush ..

After talking to Kevin Schwantz, 93 GP moto champ, (who has a ranch in Wimberly, a place on Lake Travis and helped Tavo Hellmund design a few of the new tracks corners), Schumacher bought 500 acres close by ..

Maybe more diving schools are coming to the area .. ;>}
Old 20 November 2012, 13:26
Confirmed User

Looks like the ranch is for Schumachers wifes' horses north of Dallas ..

And Schwantz got cut out of promoting MotoGP by COTA .. ouch ..
Old 20 November 2012, 14:05
Authorized Personnel

Co-worker went, I'll get the skinny from him when he gets back next week.
Old 20 November 2012, 15:29
BTDT

Schwantz/Rainy/Gardiner/Doohan battles were the stuff of legend. The late 80's, early 90's were they heyday of 500GP. Schwantz' '93 title has an asterisk, IMO. That's when Rainy was paralyzed in Italy. But Kevin was awesome for sure.

P
Old 20 November 2012, 18:13
Confirmed User

After Rainey's accident I started rooting for Mick (mostly cause he trained in the dirt) .. and his comeback from the surgery on his legs .. (his brake/clutch/throttle set-up on the bars was ingenius) .. and balls of steel .. all of 'em ..

Those were heady days in 500GP alright ..
Old 20 November 2012, 18:19
BTDT

Try to find the '89 Australian GP. Gardiner comes from behind to win, with a flapping fairing. Awesome. It was Mick's first season on the Rothman's Honda...start of a legend.

P
Old 20 November 2012, 19:11
Confirmed User

I was at Sao Paulo in 06, Vettle was testing with Sauber and it was Schumacher's last race. I got the pic of Vettle in the pits. At the time I just thought he was well regarded with a possible future, but I took the pic because I thought he looked like he was 14... The pic of Shumacher was taken in hi last, for the time, post race interview at the back of the Ferrari pit. I had met Boris Becker the night before at a Red Bull party and new he and Schumacher were friends. Boris was hanging around the Ferrari pit and I managed to get there about the time Michael came out.. I was able to get my lens under a tv camera about 3 feet from him. As can be seen he was pretty emotional that day.

Hope you like them I have lots from Indy and Sao Paulo that year all from the pits and garages.

Old 3 April 2014, 09:54

So, opinions of the modern turbocars?

All the fanbois keep talking dreamily of the 80's turbo era, what about today's engine? Did they whine about the "sound" back when it was Prost and Senna and Berger driving? S/F....Ken M
Old 3 April 2014, 09:59
BTDT

They sound like Ducatis. Will take getting used to. Change happens, so it doesn't really bother me, other than the fact that FIA needs to shitcan this "More environmentally friendly" crap. They get 5 miles to the gallon. "Friendly" would be to stop racing
Old 3 April 2014, 10:31

Environmentally friendly? Go to E85 or E98 and go back to fuel stops. S/F....Ken M
Old 3 April 2014, 11:11
Only slightly useless.

The cars have a serious case of the uglies.....but then they've been that way for quite a few years now.

" My Son is my new Hero"
Old 3 April 2014, 11:27

This is what happens when endless FIA regulation meets Mr. Aerodynamicist!
Old 4 April 2014, 15:00
Plank Owner

Not sure how I missed this thread!! Been a F1 fan since I can remember. My parents came over from England in '73 and I have racing on both sides of my family. My dad raced Coopers all over England and my maternal grandfather knew and raced with Donald Healey of Austin Healey.
I went to the British Grand Prix just before my enlistment back in '94. What an amazing day that was.
Now I make it to the local road courses when I can...
I'll be sure to keep this thread in my sights!!
Old 4 April 2014, 17:25
BTDT

It isn't really active... Us "Wine and Cheese" crowd members aren't as numerous as the "Beer and Wings" people
But welcome.

Our new posting rules