Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 4 April 2014, 17:29
Make a desert and call it peace.

Sure Poly, that NASCAR thread is doing really well, LOL.

Actually, all racing has been shit since about 08. Save maybe entry level stuff; dirt track, Lemons, Chumpcar and so forth. No money, nobody can afford racing. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith

Last edited by EchoFiveMike; 4 April 2014 at 17:51.
Old 4 April 2014, 17:35
BTDT

Hahaha.
Old 4 April 2014, 17:41
Morte et une dame

I'm looking forward to the.... E1 (?) races.
All electric cars; I wanna see that!
Old 4 April 2014, 17:55

Personally, I'd like to see the various race classes capitalize on the whole nostalgia thing that seems to be the trend. Simpler cars, the good old tracks.

I'd love to see no KERS(etc) bullshit F1 and Lemans cars at the Nurburgring. Not the ghey assed new track, the real Ring, the effing Nordschliefe! S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 4 April 2014, 20:43
Plank Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
Personally, I'd like to see the various race classes capitalize on the whole nostalgia thing that seems to be the trend. Simpler cars, the good old tracks.

I'd love to see no KERS(etc) bullshit F1 and Lemans cars at the Nurburgring. Not the ghey assed new track, the real Ring, the effing Nordschliefe! S/F....Ken M
I remember back when my son was little...'99-00, they had vintage car racing at Langley on the air field.

Here in NE Ohio, I have a few tracks I go to. Nelson Ledges is right around the corner and Pittsburgh isn't far away either.

Round/oval tracks are just not for me.....drive fast, turn left and repeat. No thank you!

The Ring is number one on my bucket list....that would be insane!
Old 5 April 2014, 05:49
Confirmed User

I'll be going to my first F1 Grand Prix later this year at that Austin track. My sisters husband is the son of a big oil drilling company so he is treating me to some VIP action or whatever for letting him play with my collection of toys cough weapons in January :-) Lead well spent I supposed. Although we both had purple shoulders from KSG abuse haha.
Old 5 April 2014, 12:17
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSRT1 View Post

The Ring is number one on my bucket list....that would be insane!
Mine is 'Spa'.
Old 5 April 2014, 14:30
Plank Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Mine is 'Spa'.
That would be fun.....Circuit de la Sarthe would be pretty amazing as well....without the chicanes of course...lol.
Old 6 April 2014, 03:57

Not vintage racing, more simple wasn't really accurate, just without all the silly, weight adding, granola bullshit like KERS and the rest of the FIA mandated crap that has nothing to do with the racing.

Poly, search youtube for "917 Tribute", there's some great footage about half way through of one 917 passing another, in the rain, going through Eau Rouge. And unlike Belloff trying to overtake Ickx 15 years later, it was done successfully. S/F....Ken M
Old 6 April 2014, 13:53
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I occasionaly read a couple of car magazines that show photos from back when stock cars were actual cars, not highly modified, track only racers.

Some pretty intresting pictures from the early days. One I saw not too long ago showed Richard Petty hopping out of the car during a pit stop, hopping up on the hood and helping his crew pound some loose metal into place with a ball peen hammer.

He was wearing your basic white, non-fire retardant coveralls, an open faced helmet with a little visor on top and wearing a pair of cowboy boots.

That man defined cool as far stock car drivers went. I probably can't even name more 7 or 8 drivers in NASCAR these days, hardly any in Indy and maybe one or two in F-1.

Back when Indy meant something, practically everbody who was in the race was recognizable.
Old 6 October 2014, 19:56

Back from the dead. Not F1 but closest thread I found.

Anyone else watching TUDOR United SportsCar Championship/Petit LeMans? Close as I can get to my old Group C/GTP favorites. Also liking the Nissan Delta Wing car. S/F....Ken M
Old 6 October 2014, 20:46
Un-confirmed User

When racing was racing! Turn up your volume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW-bc8FFZ1A
Old 6 October 2014, 22:38
On the Extract Bird

Formula 1 comes to Jerusalem again today and Tuesday.
This pic is from last year. Pretty cool setting to say the least.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.3 KB, 109 views)
Old 6 October 2014, 22:49
Supporterator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post

Actually, all racing has been shit since about 08. Save maybe entry level stuff; dirt track, Lemons, Chumpcar and so forth. No money, nobody can afford racing. S/F....Ken M
Haha, and I thought it was just me that thought this.

Honestly though the IMSA Continental Tire Challenge is really cool. The cars aren't that far from stock. Most entertaining series IMO
Old 15 March 2017, 19:55

Formula 1 is back, and definitely trying to correct past errors WRT lack of excitement. Testing with the new cars is looking good. Also, the new media people have done a good job with the web presence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyXeDJjbisI

S/F.....Ken M
Old 16 March 2017, 00:20
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

This thread rocks!! 'miss watching F1... been out of the loop since the late 90's..
Old 16 March 2017, 05:27
Confirmed User

Glad they went to some fat ass tires finally
Old 16 March 2017, 08:29
Authorized Personnel

I like Mercedes AMG and Hamilton but that's just me....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Been around the world and found
That only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a tv
Old 16 March 2017, 09:17
Confirmed User

I will watch F1 when I come across it on Sunday mornings. Nascar is pretty much dead to me. Last couple of years I have found drag racing to be entertaining.
Old 26 March 2017, 09:21
Still Learning!

Wow, a lot of changes for F1 this year. Barry is gone, Nico retired (Can't blame him at all) and the cars are in beast mode. As a Redbull/Ricciardo fan, not a great start to this mornings Aussie GP.

Our new posting rules