Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 16 April 2010, 10:06
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
....What I want to know is, will a Mac run better/faster than Linux...
Yes, Mac just works. Linux takes time to configure and make work.

It's quite simple:

Windows works for the masses and you'll probably need some Windows compatible applications. I have to run MS Office for Mac. Windows is not bad OS and fairly customizable too. As Windows works on most HW, it is actually far less proprietary than Mac.
Linux is more customizable and free to change as you wish - you know this.
Mac is stable as Linux, has a corporation behind it, very proprietary, but the frustration level is next to zero and it just works.

Get a Mac; it's a great experience every time to use. That's the bottom line really.

H

Last edited by Hoepoe; 16 April 2010 at 10:08.
Old 16 April 2010, 11:16
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoepoe View Post
Yes, Mac just works. Linux takes time to configure and make work.

It's quite simple:

Windows works for the masses and you'll probably need some Windows compatible applications. I have to run MS Office for Mac. Windows is not bad OS and fairly customizable too. As Windows works on most HW, it is actually far less proprietary than Mac.
Linux is more customizable and free to change as you wish - you know this.
Mac is stable as Linux, has a corporation behind it, very proprietary, but the frustration level is next to zero and it just works.

Get a Mac; it's a great experience every time to use. That's the bottom line really.

H

Much appreciated.

While true:
Continue
Old 16 April 2010, 11:19
Cat Lover Extraordinaire.....

I have had Viao, HP, Dell, and Acer. I finally broke down and got myself a MacBook Pro. I've had in Iraq, now in Afghanistan, no matter what, it has not failed to work. I love the ease in operation, and it never crashed. It has everything I need for work, and play.

Highly recommend it. My wife still not sold on Mac, but then she's an unbeliever....someday she will convert to the "dark side"!
Old 16 April 2010, 11:22
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrlSgt View Post
My wife still not sold on Mac, but then she's an unbeliever....someday she will convert to the "dark side"!

I'm in the same boat trying to convert my wife to a Linux user.

While true:
Continue
Old 16 April 2010, 11:25
33,024 - R.I.P.

Being a rookie in this realm, what's the difference between Linux and Unix? I heard that Mac is Unix based. What are the pros/cons of each?
Old 16 April 2010, 12:00
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoepoe
Get a Mac; it's a great experience every time to use. That's the bottom line really....
+1. The techno-types can have their "expert" opinions. I personally just want to open my computer, and immediately start working. My Mac does. The HP I use for our must-have MS Windows stuff, doesn't. There are a number of techno-types who don't understand this -- I could care less about their opinions....
Old 16 April 2010, 18:19
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
Being a rookie in this realm, what's the difference between Linux and Unix? I heard that Mac is Unix based. What are the pros/cons of each?

OK...Originally, Linux WAS Unix, basically. Linux Torvalds took the Unix source code, which I think was owned by Bell labs, and used it to create Linux.

Unix-based and Linux-based would be basically the same thing...except that Linux is open-source, and free...as such, with few exceptions, it is not well supported, as far as updates and such.

While true:
Continue
Old 16 April 2010, 18:53
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
+1. The techno-types can have their "expert" opinions. I personally just want to open my computer, and immediately start working. My Mac does. The HP I use for our must-have MS Windows stuff, doesn't. There are a number of techno-types who don't understand this -- I could care less about their opinions....
+2

When I started using Linux in the late 90s it was fun to build things from the ground up. I had time for the frustration. Great server OS, shitty user experience.

Then one day you realize that if you want to stay employed and be productive you need to have something reliable THAT JUST FRIGGIN WORKS.

Mac - Turn it on, get stuff done.

Linux on the desktop - Only free if your time has no value.

Just my unvalued opinion :-)
Old 16 April 2010, 18:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerForensicGuy
Just my unvalued opinion....
Well, ahem, since you are agreeing with me, umm, yeah -- it's actually a pretty valid and valuable opinion....
Old 16 April 2010, 19:55
Been There Done That

I love when the computer geniuses come out and complain that you "just can't do this or that" on a Mac. Then you run it on the Mac infront of them and they still find a reason for the machine not to be what you really need if you're a power user...blah.

Turns on, works, doesn't crash and is incredibly easy to use.

Plus 3 to SOTB.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 16 April 2010, 21:52
Authorized Personnel

BOFH, you'll find a lot of the functionality in OS X (Apple's operating system) the same as a Linux distro as OS X is a *NIX based operating system. Because of this a lot of the command line/file system stuff is exactly the same or very similar. If you do a lot of shell scripting and net admin type tasks the learning curve won't be steep at all.

If you're thinking about running a straight media server, I'd actually steer you away from an Apple/Linux box though and recommend going with a Microsoft solution. You probably won't get as much bang for your buck in terms of hardware as you would with an Linux or Apple box, but you'll get a whole lot more use out of it. I'm NOT saying Macs are bad or any of that other crap. Just to get the best solution for the task. If you're looking for a media server, a decent Windows machine is probably a better bet at this point than a Mac Mini.

For example a lot of the DVR, media server, and other multimedia software out there you might be interested in running on a media box isn't likely to have an Apple port and almost certainly won't have a straight Linux one. Also, a lot of the freeware out there targeted towards those operating systems isn't the greatest and support for open source software can be super flaky unless there's an actual company backing it.

I have a junky HP PC running XP Media Center edition that's got a Pentium 4 proc in it...definitely not a work horse. However with just XP media center I can rip and play DVDs, tie in to my XBox360, and access files from throughout my home with no hassle. Can you do that with a Mac or Linux set up? Absolutely. However, if you're not at least a little technical it'll probably be harder to do it.

Last edited by RLK; 16 April 2010 at 21:56.
Old 16 April 2010, 22:57
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
Well, ahem, since you are agreeing with me, umm, yeah -- it's actually a pretty valid and valuable opinion....
Umm, yeah--that's why I have you quoted in my signature.
Old 16 April 2010, 23:03
Good Idea Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
Umm, yeah--that's why I have you quoted in my signature.
Ass Kisser.

"There won't be humans in 500 years. Enough people choke themselves when they jerk off we gave it a name. We ain't a species made to last."

--ShitmyDadsays.
Old 16 April 2010, 23:08
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
Ass Kisser.
Its a Marine Corps/NAVY thing. Us NAVY guys are supposed to do that, cause they actually have a man crush on us I think they call it counter-intel.

Seriously though, I managed to get my Alienware M17x sold on eBay in just one day (still waiting for payment). Now I'm looking into the MacBook Pro 15". Is there a huge difference in processor speed/efficiency/functionality between the 2.53 and the 2.66GHz processors? I know that one has the i5 and the other i7. What other gizmos/software is recommended or needed. I thought the Nimber stuff was pretty cool. Then again, I'm a grad student and anything that can crunch numbers is cool.

Last edited by JAFO; 16 April 2010 at 23:23.
Old 17 April 2010, 01:07
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
OK...Originally, Linux WAS Unix, basically. Linux Torvalds took the Unix source code, which I think was owned by Bell labs, and used it to create Linux.

Unix-based and Linux-based would be basically the same thing...except that Linux is open-source, and free...as such, with few exceptions, it is not well supported, as far as updates and such.
"Linus Torvalds" and more patch support than any other OS.

Still not mainstream and with every one and their aunt creating a flavor/distro, there is not uniform HW support.

H
Old 17 April 2010, 12:24
I aim to misbehave

HoePoe, thanks for the correction. Gotta love fat fingers, right? Yeah, there's a new patch a couple times a day, at least for Ubuntu...that much I agree with...but it took a couple years before the HW on my laptop could be supported "out of the box." Big problem most people have with Linux is that getting HW support is not as easy as "installing a driver," like in Windows.

While true:
Continue
Old 17 April 2010, 12:40
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local View Post
I think its worth noting...

PC stands for Personal computer, not windows
Actually, the terms "PC" and, as I recall, "Personal Computer", were both trademarked by IBM in 1981 when it released the IBM PC to the home and small business market, specifically to compete with the Apple II. Although the term had technically existed before then, it certainly wasn't popular, which allowed IBM to trademark it. The IBM PC ran BASIC, and the alliance between Microsoft, IBM and Intel was cemented by the success of the platform. Subsequent machines using upgraded versions of Windows were marketed similarly under the same trademark. So, in a very real sense, the term "pc" does belong to successor Microsoft/Intel products only.

Up until a month ago, I was an Apple hater. I moved to the DC area for work and bought an Iphone specifically to get traffic updates and better coverage than my Sprint phone was giving me. That is a game-changing device, and I love it.

Ten days later, my previous employer had a going-away lunch for me and presented me with an Ipad as a gift. I mention that because it isn't something I would probably have purchased for myself. I find that I dislike turning on my Windows-based laptop anymore. It's just too slow. There are a few things that I wish the Iphone and Ipad had, like Flash support, but on the whole, they just plain work, fast.

HK
Old 17 April 2010, 13:37
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKUSP45 View Post
There are a few things that I wish the Iphone and Ipad had, like Flash support, but on the whole, they just plain work, fast.

HK
It's coming sir. Flash Comes To the iPad Via RipCode
Old 17 April 2010, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerForensicGuy
It's coming sir....
Yeah, the one thing I would consider iffy about an Apple platform is any ability of any company to run Flash on an iPhone or iPad. The rhetoric between the two companies doesn't lend towards thoughts of Apple sitting back and letting a company bridge a gap they appear to be purposely widening....
Old 17 April 2010, 14:19
Confirmed User

My personal preference (in the interest of full disclosure, I own neither an iPad nor an iPhone) would be a precached transcoding solution that delivered the content in native mp4 or H.264 along the same lines as redirecting mobiles to mobile friendly versions of the site. If it will handle flash great, else deliver content in H.264 format.

Our new posting rules