Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 28 April 2010, 16:32
Authorized Personnel

WTF? USS John Murtha

I saw this today and pretty much freaked out. This is the same man who slandered his brother Marines fighting in Iraq, undermined the war effort for political gain and was almost charged "Abscam" sting by the FBI. Overall a man I wouldn't let in my house.

Controversy flares over ship named for Murtha

By Philip Ewing - Staff writer
Posted : Wednesday Apr 28, 2010 14:30:43 EDT

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi praised the Navy’s decision to name an amphibious warship after Rep. John Murtha, but the formal announcement Friday added fuel to an already smoldering backlash online.

Murtha — “our dear Jack,” as Pelosi referred to him — deserved the honor as a tireless advocate for troops generally and Marines in particular, she said, and she recalled admiring his rapport with them.

“Whether on the battlefield, or on the bedside, he thanked them for their courage, listened to their concerns, and asked them for comment — and he answered their needs, and responded to their calls, whether it was for body armor, up-armored vehicles… radios, you name it,” Pelosi said. “In those minutes [together], he bonded with them especially because he would share his own personal military service with them, and cared for them as a father. They knew it, and they returned his respect.”

Murtha, who died in February at age 77, had served 19 terms as a congressman from Pennsylvania.

Navy Secretary Ray Mabus, who technically is the only person in the government with the power to name U.S. warships, also praised Murtha’s history of service. He unveiled an official illustration showing an amphibious transport dock marked with the hull number “26” named John P. Murtha. It will be the first in the San Antonio class not named for an American city.

Despite the encomia from Pelosi and Mabus, thousands of Web users remembered a different Murtha — the one who opposed the Iraq war and accused Marines in 2005 of killing Iraqis “in cold blood” — when reacting to the announcement about the ship named in his honor. A Facebook group called “People Against Naming A Navy Ship USS Murtha” had 1,336 members as of Monday morning, and it was becoming a clearinghouse for angry comments and homemade cartoons criticizing Murtha.

Posters on the Facebook page said Murtha, who served in the Marine Corps during the Korean and Vietnam eras, “betrayed the brotherhood,” that naming a ship for him was a “slap in the face” and that if the Navy wanted to name a ship for him, it should have chosen “a nice, stinky garbage scow.”

The Navy was getting angry responses even on its own official website, where visitors used the same page where the announcement appeared to criticize it. Visitors called the decision to name a ship for Murtha “an absolute disgrace,” “inappropriate” and said it was just as bad as naming a warship for Benedict Arnold.

“The naming of LPD 26 after John Murtha is inappropriate,” wrote David Martin. “There many men and women with greater records of valor and service to the country who deserve the honor of having a warship named in their memory before John Murtha has a warship [named] in his honor. He made sure there was an airport named after himself. What more does there need to be?”

Confirmed as a"Cynical, Sarcastic, Bastard" by a co-worker in Mosul Iraq 22 May 2006.

"I'm a Black Jew at a Nazi Klan rally. LET'S GET IT ON!" Ted Nugent 2008

"I'm a fairly dangerous man when I'm scared!"
Old 28 April 2010, 16:36
Administrator

I saw this when it first came out.

It's a disgrace. He lied and slandered servicemen, cooperated with Code Pink, endorsed the idea that Marines were cold blooded murderers and basically was a low life scum bag.

The SecNav is a political pandering fool and should be run out of office.
Old 28 April 2010, 16:55
Adding Chlorine

wow.... just no end to the asskissing in the political arena.

Not As Lean, Not As Mean, Still A Marine
YAT YAS
Old 28 April 2010, 17:01
Authorized Personnel

Embarrassing.
Old 28 April 2010, 17:28
Confirmed User

Knowing his record you just have to wonder if "Our Jack" is even managing
to bring home the bacon from beyond the grave.
Be interesting to see who the contracts are awarded to.
Old 28 April 2010, 17:34
BTDT

19 Terms...fools.

P
Old 28 April 2010, 17:44
Adding Chlorine

well Northrop Grumman was on his Top 5 Contributors list, and they are the shipyard building the LST's. I guess he is bringing the pork in from the hereafter

Not As Lean, Not As Mean, Still A Marine
YAT YAS
Old 28 April 2010, 18:12
Authorized Personnel

What a joke. Plenty of cities or American serviceman this ship could be named after.
Old 28 April 2010, 18:18
Authorized Personnel

http://www.news.navy.mil/search/disp...story_id=52846

Let them know what you think at the bottom....
Old 28 April 2010, 18:41
Authorized Personnel

Why do we no longer give ships names like Enterprise or Hornet? The older names seemed to have a lot more "class" IMO.
Old 28 April 2010, 20:04
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestboy View Post
http://www.news.navy.mil/search/disp...story_id=52846

Let them know what you think at the bottom....
The related comments say it all.

Related Story Comments:
4/28/2010 3:55:00 PM
Total disgrace. If you are going to name the ship after a Marine, make it a Marine who showed true heroism in battle e.g. Sgt Rafael Peralta.
Mike, GySgt USMC, USA

4/28/2010 3:51:00 PM
This is an absolute disgrace to our men and women in uniform, and to all those who have served and died for their country. Shame on you.
Nahum, Georgia

4/28/2010 3:26:00 PM
absolutely off the chart unreal; appalling, and he has that rip-off little airport named after him; stop this and close the airport
Denis, California, USA

4/28/2010 2:59:00 PM
What? The USS Taliban was taken? Shame on you SECNAV. We know you will do nothing to fix this atrocity. Is there no honor anymore? God bless all the true heroes in our Navy and Marines!
Micah, Washington

4/28/2010 2:38:00 PM
a total disgrace....are you going to name the next one The Rod Blagojevich?
you gotta be kidding

4/28/2010 12:45:00 PM
All I can say is thank God I am no longer in the Navy. I served my time, enjoy my Honorable Discharge, and dearly miss some good ole friends. Todays military is getting more and more political, and to have a warship named after a man who liked to posture politically when it was convenient is a disgrace, and to select this name shows the incompetence of the SECNAV. He is either weak or stupid.
Alec GSM2(SW)

4/28/2010 12:27:00 PM
My brother served on PBR's in the delta and ended up as a P.O.W. for 3 years,he died at the age of 36 from war related problems from his captivity My Brother Stan was a hero and because of his example I served 6 years,My uncle was on the antietam in WW2 for the duration and is also deceased. Both Stan and Uncle gary must be spinning in there graves at the prospect of the name murtha attached to a ship-it makes me sick-name a ship after my brother first-he is a hero ,murtha was a bum
Dutch Beasley, Ohio

4/28/2010 12:26:00 PM
As a 36 year Marine Corps Veteran with Combat in Vietnam and service on many Amphibious Ships - naming an Amphibious Ship after John Murtha is a disgrace for both the Navy and Marine Corps. Name it after a City or at least a Marine that has died in the service of his Country.
Retired Marine, California

4/28/2010 12:24:00 PM
Are you stopping posting comments?! I know more have been sent, including mine. What the hell in the matter with the Navy? This secretary, whom I doubt has ever been near the ocean until he got the job, has made a terrible, disgusting, political decision that desecrates a Navy warship. And the uproar is just beginning, friends. You tell Secretary Mabus he dishonors the Mississippi McCains who served. He should have stayed in Saudi Arabia.
Joe McCain, North America (non-US)

~edited for brevity and to save bandwidth~

Last edited by RGR.Montcalm; 16 February 2012 at 13:53. Reason: Please don't copy and paste whole sections like this; post a link
Old 28 April 2010, 22:22
JDAM
Visitor

The SECNAV is off his fucking rocker, good lord.

Way to uphold the finest traditions of the Navy there Sir.........

FAIL
Old 28 April 2010, 23:39
In God We Trust...all others are suspect

I hope is a target ship they are naming after him WTF.
Old 28 April 2010, 23:45
Authorized Personnel

In addition to his comments regarding the USMC, you'd be hard pressed to find a more corrupt member of Congress.

The Navy also needs to change its ship naming conventions.
Old 29 April 2010, 06:00
Confirmed User

A couple of questions for the Navy guys here, I can't ever imagine refusing an order, but I have not been in a situation like this, what do you think would happen if an entire crew refused to be posted to the ship? and could it realistically happen? you can order servicemen to do a lot, survive in extreme condition, risk their lives, take a life, but can you order a loyal hard working servicemen/women to accept an insult like this?
Surely they would have to come down hard on those who refused, but that would not be a good start to the ship. A very strange situation.
Old 29 April 2010, 06:22
BTDT

Won't really matter what they call it. Some are already calling it the USS GRAFT, the USS ABSCAM or the USS PORK BARREL. This vessel will never have a military crew. It will be crewed by merchant seamen just like the USNS SHUGART. It's a Military Sealift Command ship and the captain of it will be a member of the Masters, Mates and Pilots union, the engine room will be crewed by members of the Marine Engineers Beneficial Association and the deck hands and messmen will all be Seafarers International Union members.
Old 29 April 2010, 06:32
I ♣ Hippies!

Hell, why not just name the thing U.S.S. Blue Falcon?

"The real problem of leisure time is how to keep others from using yours." ~Arthur Lacey
Old 29 April 2010, 08:31
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmurph View Post
Won't really matter what they call it. Some are already calling it the USS GRAFT, the USS ABSCAM or the USS PORK BARREL. This vessel will never have a military crew. It will be crewed by merchant seamen just like the USNS SHUGART. It's a Military Sealift Command ship and the captain of it will be a member of the Masters, Mates and Pilots union, the engine room will be crewed by members of the Marine Engineers Beneficial Association and the deck hands and messmen will all be Seafarers International Union members.
If its an LPD it will be manned by Navy and Marines not merchantmen, unless they change the designation of it.
Old 29 April 2010, 09:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Gunner View Post
A couple of questions for the Navy guys here, I can't ever imagine refusing an order, but I have not been in a situation like this, what do you think would happen if an entire crew refused to be posted to the ship? and could it realistically happen?
No. And really, the name is only on that big, flat back part of the ship, and you really don't see it when you're aboard, so I'm guessing a lot of guys would just forget and get on with their jobs.

Still, I'm in favor of emulating the RN tradition of naming warships after moods and personality traits: USS Irritable, USS Belligerent When She's Been Drinking, etc...
Old 29 April 2010, 09:58
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Gunner View Post
A couple of questions for the Navy guys here, I can't ever imagine refusing an order, but I have not been in a situation like this, what do you think would happen if an entire crew refused to be posted to the ship? and could it realistically happen?
The crew won't care, they'll just make up a derogatory name for her, as they have with every other ship of the fleet.

Our new posting rules