Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 11 October 2010, 14:17
Administrator

Exclamation Gannett Government Media Corporation banned from SOCNET

Effective immediately no links, posts or reference to any publication, website or anything else related to Gannett is allowed to be posted or discussed on SOCNET.

Gannet reps have threatened us on 2 separate occasions about articles from their site being posted and linked on SOCNET.

Since they don't understand fair use, the decision was made to ban them completely instead of engage them in a dispute which would only benefit their traffic.

This ban encompasses all below:
Gannett Government Media Corporation
Army Times
Navy Times
Air Force Times
Marine Corps Times
Defense News
Federal Times
Armed Forces Journal
Training & Simulation Journal
C4ISR Journal
6883 Commercial Drive, Springfield, VA 22159 * 703-658-8488
* formerly known as Army Times Publishing Company
Old 11 October 2010, 14:55
Drawing my cutlass

Roger, will comply.
Old 11 October 2010, 17:01
Confirmed User

Just checking, does this include their non-governmental holdings such as USA Today, etc.?
Old 11 October 2010, 17:10
Been There Done That

Roger that.
Old 11 October 2010, 17:41
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchy View Post
Just checking, does this include their non-governmental holdings such as USA Today, etc.?

I'll have to research this and find out. Right now, go with what was posted.

Thanks

Everyone else doesn't need to roger up. We can see the thread views. Thanks
Old 11 October 2010, 17:42
Chicks dig scars

oops

Last edited by reed11b; 11 October 2010 at 17:43. Reason: just learning to read.
Old 11 October 2010, 17:48
Old and Broke

Guess SheJAG's Army Times won't get renewed, and this is the reason I will give when they call.
Old 11 October 2010, 17:58
Confirmed User

Free speech is not free.

It is free speech from the point of public figures and political figures.

It is a perceived set that we have free speech in this country. When one interfere with profits and malice speech is protected.

As SB pointed out Fair Understanding is common in most publications. This group wants their speech protected.

RO!!!
Old 11 October 2010, 17:58
Über Equus Asinus

I dont know how you get that out of SB's initial post (maybe Im mis-reading something here)...

what I get out of his post is dont post hyperlinks or articles related to their publications or website and dont discuss the company or anything related to it here...

Using your stated example of a relieved naval officer.. as long as you dont say "as stated in XXXXXXXXX", post a hyperlink to an article in one of their publications, conduct a cut and past of one of their articles, etc.. I dont see a problem..

If its in one of their publications.. especially if it is a big issue.. you can guarantee its also somewhere else.. they arent exactly known for scooping the rest of the media world all that often..
Old 11 October 2010, 18:05
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDAM View Post
wow

How can we not "discuss" topics that are brought to light on those networks? I can understand the banning of official hyperlinks and quoted references, etc...but free speech is free speech; right?
I'm no legal expert; but if I were to hazard a guess this revolves around money. The organization is flexing because they see a perceived loss of income due to lower subscription rates. What I find funny is I'll bet you the reporters and editors cruise this site on a hourly basis to get what we call "tipping cues" and cross-check their sources.

With regards to your highlighted (by me) statement, the corporation just tried to lay 'siege' to what they think is key terrain (their articles) supposedly occupied by us. We now have several choices: defend, attack from our defended position, or pull back and give it to them. The Admins decided for us: pull back and not use them as a reference for anything. Considering the time delay and scope of coverage they provide, we were an asset for them, not the other way around.

As mentioned above, their idea of "fair use" isn't quite the same as ours. Another thing to consider: the corporation may be trying to expand their virtual presence over the printed presence they had for so long. The first thing they're going to do is what's happening to us: start arguing about use and reference of their virtual and printed articles. SOCNET was a web presence before the the Times changed ownership, and yet after 14 years this is suddenly a problem?

There's an old joke about who reads which newspapers:

"The Wall Street Journal is read by people who run the country;
the Washington Post is read by people who think they run the country;
the New York Times is read by people who wish they ran the country;
and the Los Angeles Times is read by people who dream they run the country."

To a large degree, that joke is pretty accurate; and the above group of publications aren't even close. If the WSJ cracked on us, I'd offer an olive branch. After 30 years, I guess I can cancel the ol' subscription. Money being tight and all that.

Long story short, I'm cool with the decision; because this web site is full of people who make history; not report it.

Last edited by Tracy; 11 October 2010 at 18:08.
Old 11 October 2010, 18:07
Authorized Personnel

I've seen this issue come up on other discussion forums recently as well.

Seems to be the direction several news organizations are going in to get traffic back to their site and not read elsewhere.
Old 11 October 2010, 18:13
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GackMan
Seems to be the direction several news organizations are going in to get traffic back to their site and not read elsewhere.
I agree, and all it makes me want to do is research to where else I can find it, and then use THAT link to reference the story, thereby sending potential readers, with their money to spend on ads, to the friendlier resource....
Old 11 October 2010, 19:17

I just did a search for that organization and it pulled up references that include SOCNET.

How do "we" get around that?

You don't need a subscription to read their front page. I find this laughable on their part.

Maybe they will turn me in for pulling up one of their pages.
Old 11 October 2010, 19:23
Administrator

I don't know anything about all that.

They want to have the best of both worlds. They want us to link and discuss the link content but the content can only be read on their site.

There's too many other information providers out there which has the same, if not better content, that doesn't play that game.
Old 11 October 2010, 19:38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
There's too many other information providers out there which has the same, if not better content, that doesn't play that game.
Including this site.

I certainly hope that we do not catch any of the Gannett publications citing us electronically or otherwise....God knows we have a truckload of content stored up here over the years...

This really is a dumb move by them.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 11 October 2010, 20:06
Making sure They Come Home

Fuck 'em.

PA
Old 11 October 2010, 20:35
Administrator

They used to be the heat 20 years ago, now they suck and rely on sites like us for current info. Their rag is pronounced dead meat here. Stand by to read the Chapter 11 notice in the WSJ, which we will gladly quote.
Old 11 October 2010, 20:58
Legbreaker Extraordinaire

Sounds like they're trying to do what Righthaven has been doing. At least they sent a cease and desist rather than file a lawsuit first, like Righthaven does.

Fortunately, Righthaven is now being taken to task for this, and will probably get their paddies spanked HARD. That might put an end to this Bravo Sierra and get us somewhere closer to the Realm of Common Sense.
Old 11 October 2010, 21:38
Embrace the Suck

The free speach comments here baffle me, to be honest, it's idiotic. How about just nod and move on?

Trust that the Admins have some fucking idea what the issues are and accept the direction given, as a guest in this house.
Old 11 October 2010, 21:44
Quiet Professional

SB...if you really want to enforce this it needs to be more visible. I don't know if it's possible but can you tag this thread somehow so that it comes up everytime someone looks for new (today's) posts... (does this make sense?)

Our new posting rules