Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Company Vetting and RFI

Old 7 March 2016, 07:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_Pos View Post
Yeah but you were getting your pre-reqs out of the way in a full-immersion "explorer program" enroute to becoming the real deal.
Roger that.
Old 7 March 2016, 08:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake View Post
I feel ashamed for even considering this position...thank you all for the clarifications...*slaps forehead*
Let that shame be your guide going forward. Use it as a tool. Like when months from now, when you're perusing internet job postings in the middle of the night, yearning to fufill your deepest mercenary fantasies, and you chance upon a the perfect position...and then google the company name and find out that it is some random place with a strange name who just found some random, drunken Eskimo, attached his name to the company, and used it to fraudulently win tons of contracts they have no ability to actually execute in the HubZone Sweepstakes...

Use that shame to NOT ignore the reality of the situation. Don't try to pretend like the drunk Eskimo is actually going to buy you an Ops-Core helmet and a ticket to the hottest conflict zone and pay you tons of money. Because you'll probably just be riding a Greyhound bus back home after spending all your money on gear and a gay training course.
22 Aug 17
Old 7 March 2016, 10:09
#AllLionsMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake View Post
I feel ashamed for even considering this position...thank you all for the clarifications...*slaps forehead*
Don't feel bad! If he received:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC HALL View Post
At this posting, I have developed a TEAM of Recruiters and Admin and we just broke 411 vetted for this mission in Nigeria, at the time of deployment, we'll break 500 personnel, on the way to 600+.

DOC Hall
410 other folks are slapping their foreheads also.

BTW: For those not familiar with Nigeria:

Nigeria, the most populated country in Africa, is perceived to be the most corrupt among 60 countries evaluated, according to data from the 2016 Best Countries rankings. The rankings are a characterization of 60 countries based on a survey of more than 16,000 people from four regions.

There is a limit to compassion.

Last edited by Guy; 7 March 2016 at 10:15.
Old 7 March 2016, 12:03
Authorized Personnel

I know a guy well that knows this Hall goof ball. Hall was a SC State Trooper that worked some LE contracts overseas. Seriously doubt he got any "trigger time". And last I heard he hasn't even got paid any of his "salary" as of this time.

I also received this from a contact of mine when I was asking around about this for a couple guys I know who also took the bait -

"Please pass it on, I don't want any good people getting screwed over. The best way to put is if our (company he works for) advisors cannot carry weapons while training their military and police begs the question why this company got through the legal status. Its a Dutch power company that are going to lay some 600 miles of power lines. The Dutch company came to Jacobs who then came to us. Our company was only to protect 1-6 Jacobs execs rotating in and out not the guard the laying of power lines. After analysis and logistics we said there was no way could we even guarantee our own safety even with the licenses to work there"
Old 7 March 2016, 13:31
Authorized Personnel

I was curious about the arming authority there. There was a possibility of me getting offered a position in Nigeria at one of the ports, however it would've been supervising armed guards, while I myself was unarmed.
Old 7 March 2016, 15:35
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
I was curious about the arming authority there. There was a possibility of me getting offered a position in Nigeria at one of the ports, however it would've been supervising armed guards, while I myself was unarmed.
And that sounds more plausible.
Old 7 March 2016, 15:58
What could possibly go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I know a guy well that knows this Hall goof ball. Hall was a SC State Trooper that worked some LE contracts overseas. Seriously doubt he got any "trigger time". And last I heard he hasn't even got paid any of his "salary" as of this time.

I also received this from a contact of mine when I was asking around about this for a couple guys I know who also took the bait -

"Please pass it on, I don't want any good people getting screwed over. The best way to put is if our (company he works for) advisors cannot carry weapons while training their military and police begs the question why this company got through the legal status. Its a Dutch power company that are going to lay some 600 miles of power lines. The Dutch company came to Jacobs who then came to us. Our company was only to protect 1-6 Jacobs execs rotating in and out not the guard the laying of power lines. After analysis and logistics we said there was no way could we even guarantee our own safety even with the licenses to work there"
I have heard the exact same things via a source as well.
Old 7 March 2016, 16:31
Been There Done That

Quote:

So who are the Eskimo and fat black lady that he got to front the company so he can rip everyone off Hubzone style? And he's fat too, amirite?
22 Aug 17
Old 7 March 2016, 19:16
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
When they were asked about this they were told that they were 'highly encouraged' to buy their own weapons and .....(paraphrasing) "You all will be on a charter flight out of Houston direct to Lagos. Your weapons will fly with you and will all be palletized and covered with canvas."

Uhhhhh ...... shall we sing th Smugglers Blues?
Old 7 March 2016, 23:06

I heard the "your weapons will be taken with you and ammo distributed before you get in the plane " was said to lucky contractees.

Anyone that's been in the contract world longer than 10 minutes knew from the first email that something was waaaaaayyyyy wrong. Unfortunately there are those who don't know and I believe that's what these guys are preying on....including some who supposedly quit their jobs readying to " deploy" after the first of the year.
Old 8 March 2016, 00:16
Violent Social Worker

Just a little stop for fuel in Zimbabwe and you're there!
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 8 March 2016, 00:24
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I like what you did there. Nick would be proud...
Old 8 March 2016, 06:27
Swimming Upstream

Question for all you who have real overseas contracting experience...what do the scammers get out of all this, other than pissing people off and destroying their own reputation (such as it is)? What's in it for them?
Old 8 March 2016, 07:13
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Question for all you who have real overseas contracting experience...what do the scammers get out of all this, other than pissing people off and destroying their own reputation (such as it is)? What's in it for them?
They get a bunch of solid resumes that they can use to capture other work.
22 Aug 17
Old 8 March 2016, 10:11
Administrator

Quote:
When they were asked about this they were told that they were 'highly encouraged' to buy their own weapons and .....(paraphrasing) "You all will be on a charter flight out of Houston direct to Lagos. Your weapons will fly with you and will all be palletized and covered with canvas."

Uhhhhh ...... shall we sing th Smugglers Blues?

Well, to be fair, I have taken long guns into Africa before. Anything is possible if you have enough money and know the right locals. However, I don't think that is the case here. This sounds like something that is going to land some folks in an African jail cell. I have came very close to that result myself a time or two.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 8 March 2016, 11:27
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I heard the itinerary called for a layover in Benghazi for fuel and light snacks/finger food.

Old 9 March 2016, 09:50
Doc McNasty

WTF?!? Doc Hall didn't even go post up an intro! I was lookin fwd to more stimulating posts dammit!!
Old 9 March 2016, 11:17
Been There Done That

Wasn't it DOC Hall? All caps?

I mean, gotta give credit where credit is due, right?

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 9 March 2016, 12:23
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
...This sounds like something that is going to land some folks in an African jail cell. I have came very close to that result myself a time or two.
As have I. Lessons learned real quick. I have a general rule of thumb...don't go to jail in Africa. Seems simple enough right? Firearms laws are shady at best dependent on the country. I fully agree that with enough money, you can get really do just about whatever you want. I definitely don't think that's the case here.

I wonder if this work was originally solicited through one of those Nigerian email scams.
Old 28 March 2016, 11:16
Authorized Personnel

Curious if there is anything 'new' with this .....

or has everyone had to sign an NDA in order to hide the fact that this whole thing sounds even goofier reading it the second time around?

Our new posting rules