Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > H2H Combat

Old 27 August 2017, 01:25
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instruct1 View Post
I was very surprised with CM's defensive reflexes. He dodged many jabs and punches very well. In the end, stamina got him.

Stretch, congrats Sir. I will send your winnings to SOCNET.

ETA. MODS, which email do I send the purse to? Thanks
Your choice...

pm inbound.
Old 27 August 2017, 01:32
Confirmed User

Rope a dope. Ali would be proud.

I don't think Mayweather thought it would go 10 ½ rounds though.
Old 27 August 2017, 04:14
Very Deplorable

That was a great match.
Conor did well for a non-boxer, to go 10 rounds with one of the best boxers in modern times, with an almost even scorecard. Well done. Respect.

In the end it was the time and fatigue that got him. For 40, Floyd's still got it, even though in the beginning McGregor gave him a run for his money.... a lot of money.
Old 27 August 2017, 04:45
Confirmed User

Looked scripted. 10 rounds and neither fighter had much damage
Old 27 August 2017, 06:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamedic View Post
That was a great match.
Conor did well for a non-boxer, to go 10 rounds with one of the best boxers in modern times, with an almost even scorecard. Well done. Respect.

In the end it was the time and fatigue that got him. For 40, Floyd's still got it, even though in the beginning McGregor gave him a run for his money.... a lot of money.
Showtime had an almost even scorecard. The official scorecard was nowhere near even. Somehow two of the judges gave Mayweather rounds 2&3. No corruption there at all.
Old 27 August 2017, 08:10
Ne Obliviscaris

Those first 3 rounds had to have FM worried a bit. I like that CM tagged him with an uppercut. I don't recall ever seeing Floyd get hit with one of those. CM has got nothing at all to be ashamed of. Dude went toe to toe with one of the GOAT. I think even FM respects that.
Old 27 August 2017, 08:16
The Sagacious One

McGregor reflects, with some humility.
Old 27 August 2017, 08:41
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-O View Post
I will mail a case of your favorite Zima flavor beverage (not to exceed one hundred US dollars) to that Mid West hell hole you call a city if this fight goes 12 rounds.
While my prediction was technically accurate, I was way- way wrong in spirit. CM was a much better boxer than I gave him credit for and he held his own against arguably the most dominant boxer of our time. FM v CM is a good style match up for CM in that he has a good chin and FM isn't known for his power. Having personally never done either it would appear conditioning for (12) 3 minute rounds is different the (5) 5 minute rounds. I look forward to the re-match.
Old 27 August 2017, 08:55
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instruct1 View Post
I was very surprised with CM's defensive reflexes. He dodged many jabs and punches very well. In the end, stamina got him.

Stretch, congrats Sir. I will send your winnings to SOCNET.

ETA. MODS, which email do I send the purse to? Thanks
admin@socnet.com

Thanks
Old 27 August 2017, 09:11
Authorized Personnel

Watching ESPN on this morning just to see if there was highlights of the fight. One of the spewing heads said CM did not earn the right to be or belong in the ring with FM. All I could think was the CM went 10 rounds with arguably the best boxer there ever was. So If CM didn't belong, who the hell does belong. Maybe this announcer should go back to announcing curling.

Wish I would have seen the fight but couldn't pull the trigger on the $100 price tag.

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.
Old 27 August 2017, 09:21
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thvet View Post
Watching ESPN on this morning just to see if there was highlights of the fight. One of the spewing heads said CM did not earn the right to be or belong in the ring with FM. All I could think was the CM went 10 rounds with arguably the best boxer there ever was. So If CM didn't belong, who the hell does belong. Maybe this announcer should go back to announcing curling.

Wish I would have seen the fight but couldn't pull the trigger on the $100 price tag.
Perspectives are funny. The Sports Illustrated play-by-play blogger guy basically wrote that Mayweather should be ashamed that a fight against a 0-0 rated boxer went past the first round.

Pleasing everybody? Impossible. Pissing everybody off? Piece of cake.
Old 27 August 2017, 09:26
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickT View Post
Perspectives are funny. The Sports Illustrated play-by-play blogger guy basically wrote that Mayweather should be ashamed that a fight against a 0-0 rated boxer went past the first round.

I would tend to agree with that and I question if FM took the fight seriously. Regardless, you have to give CM credit for going 10 rounds with the Champ.
Old 27 August 2017, 10:00
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-O View Post
I would tend to agree with that and I question if FM took the fight seriously. Regardless, you have to give CM credit for going 10 rounds with the Champ.
I can't stand Floyd Mayweather, but McGregor had zero to do with that fight going 10 rounds.

That thing was only ever going one way. Let McGregor make a little noise so that his fans can say "hung in there with a 49-0 boxer", then Mayweather gets his 50th* win. There was no way a 49-0 boxer was going to lose his last fight to a non-boxer and fail to get that 50th win. McGregor had nothing to lose because he was the one challenging in a sport not his own. Anything other than a 1st Round KO is a moral victory.

McGregor does have enough power to score a cheap knockout if Mayweather did something dumb, so the game plan of letting McGregor punch himself out in the first few rounds was a good one. It also just so happens to also assist in the overall narrative of "McGregor hung in there and gave him hell...he just ran out of gas."

The Over/Under on the fight was set at 9.5 with more money going toward the under. Mayweather *coincidentally* turned up the aggression in the 10th round and finished the fight very easily. McGregor was smoked by the 4th and Mayweather could have and would have ended it in the 5-7th rounds if had chosen to.

McGregor had as much business being in that ring as the best NFL player of all time would playing Jordan in 1-on-1.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 27 August 2017, 11:54
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
McGregor had as much business being in that ring as the best NFL player of all time would playing Jordan in 1-on-1.
Except that he had all the business in the world being in that ring. Hundreds of millions of dollars worth of business. He danced around the ring for 10 rounds, made generational money then went home and slept in satin sheets.

Make no mistake about it, that's what he was doing in the ring. Business.

If boxing wasn't dead/irrelevant this fight wouldn't have happened.

Don't like that it happened, blame the sport of boxing.
Old 27 August 2017, 12:16
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYwood914 View Post
Except that he had all the business in the world being in that ring. Hundreds of millions of dollars worth of business. He danced around the ring for 10 rounds, made generational money then went home and slept in satin sheets.

Make no mistake about it, that's what he was doing in the ring. Business.

If boxing wasn't dead/irrelevant this fight wouldn't have happened.

Don't like that it happened, blame the sport of boxing.
Really? You think that's what I meant by "had no business" being in the ring? Clearly I understand that he made a ton of money. Hell, I'd let Mayweather chop me down like a tree for $30,000,000 guaranteed.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 27 August 2017, 12:30
Confirmed User

Quote:
Really? You think that's what I meant by "had no business" being in the ring? Clearly I understand that he made a ton of money. Hell, I'd let Mayweather chop me down like a tree for $30,000,000 guaranteed.
Well let's just say we disagree about the legitimacy of the event.
Old 27 August 2017, 12:36
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
I can't stand Floyd Mayweather, but McGregor had zero to do with that fight going 10 rounds.

That thing was only ever going one way. Let McGregor make a little noise so that his fans can say "hung in there with a 49-0 boxer", then Mayweather gets his 50th* win. There was no way a 49-0 boxer was going to lose his last fight to a non-boxer and fail to get that 50th win. McGregor had nothing to lose because he was the one challenging in a sport not his own. Anything other than a 1st Round KO is a moral victory.

McGregor does have enough power to score a cheap knockout if Mayweather did something dumb, so the game plan of letting McGregor punch himself out in the first few rounds was a good one. It also just so happens to also assist in the overall narrative of "McGregor hung in there and gave him hell...he just ran out of gas."

The Over/Under on the fight was set at 9.5 with more money going toward the under. Mayweather *coincidentally* turned up the aggression in the 10th round and finished the fight very easily. McGregor was smoked by the 4th and Mayweather could have and would have ended it in the 5-7th rounds if had chosen to.

Yeah...Nah. Your analysis is pretty much garbage. No offense. Whether it was "staged" or not I don't know. Floyd is quick as fuck, even at 40, but he's a weak puncher. Always has been. Should not have been a stoppage. Let Conor get knocked the fuck out like he deserved. Floyd did tag him a few times tho. Let Conor eat canvas. That would've been the best result.
Old 27 August 2017, 12:54
Been There Done That

BTW, I am no boxing/MMA expert in any sense.

Seems to me Mr. Mayweather fought the way we do: Outmaneuver, outfight, outlast.

The difference I saw (from the highlights) was Mr. Mayweather fought to win, and Mr. McGregor fought to make a point.
Old 27 August 2017, 12:56
Confirmed User

Quote:

Oh boy...here come all the conspiracy theories. :roll eyes: We all know boxing and the people surrounding it are a pure as the driven snow.
Old 27 August 2017, 13:11
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
BTW, I am no boxing/MMA expert in any sense.

Seems to me Mr. Mayweather fought the way we do: Outmaneuver, outfight, outlast.

The difference I saw (from the highlights) was Mr. Mayweather fought to win, and Mr. McGregor fought to make a point.
He fought "not to lose". I hate McGregor and his stupid ass for reasons I won't mention here. But I'll tell ye what. It was a decent fight in my book. Dude did put up a fight.

Last edited by Hostile0311; 27 August 2017 at 13:16.

Our new posting rules