Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > H2H Combat

Old 27 August 2017, 13:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post

McGregor had as much business being in that ring as the best NFL player of all time would playing Jordan in 1-on-1.
The likes of George Foreman disagree with you.
Old 27 August 2017, 14:09
Reverse Apache Master

It's not my "analysis". It's called being objective (I can't stand either of them and didn't give 2 shits who won) and using common sense.

The way this promotion (that's what it was, an exhibition promoted to make money) went down was the "everybody wins" way. Having it get lopsided early or even end in 3-4 rounds doesn't do yourself any favors when you're in the business of making money off of hype. (I'm not suggesting Mayweather would have knocked him out in 3-4 rounds- he doesn't have that kind of power and McGregor can certainly take a punch- but I'm sure Mayweather knew that and planned accordingly.)

McGregor and his fans get to pretend they're on a first-name basis with him, call him "Conor", hashtag "Notorious", and say things like "He was hanging with him, but he just ran out of gas in the end" and "it took the greatest boxer of all time 10 rounds to finish off a guy who was in his first boxing match", etc. That's what promotions are all about. Giving the fans things to say and talk about. The fans are where the money comes from and the promotion/hype separates them from it.

Mayweather has always fought to get to the later rounds and just wear down his opponents. He did that last night, but he went about it differently. He walked straight down the middle for 6-7 rounds and let McGregor throw some punches. That accomplished two things- McGregor got to make a little noise for the promotion/fans and he also got to punch himself out.

After that, Mayweather systematically dismantled him. It was an ass-whipping minus the KO because, as has been mentioned, Mayweather doesn't typically have that type of power. That's not a knock on McGregor either. He was outclassed because he was a fighter in a boxing match against a 49-0 boxer.

Everybody wins. Mayweather gets to walk away at 50-0 (if you count it as a win), make a shitload of money, McGregor gets to talk about how he gave Mayweather all he could handle before he got tired, nobody took a big shot to their pride, the fans on both sides get to be happy with the outcome...

It went 10 rounds because Mayweather planned for it to go into the late rounds. It had nothing to do with McGregor.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 27 August 2017, 14:13
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-O View Post
Oh boy...here come all the conspiracy theories. :roll eyes: We all know boxing and the people surrounding it are a pure as the driven snow.
Oh boy, here come all the conspiracy theories. We all know the government isn't spying on its own citizens. They'd never do that because it's unconstitutional.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 27 August 2017, 15:40
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thvet View Post
Watching ESPN on this morning just to see if there was highlights of the fight. One of the spewing heads said CM did not earn the right to be or belong in the ring with FM. All I could think was the CM went 10 rounds with arguably the best boxer there ever was. So If CM didn't belong, who the hell does belong. Maybe this announcer should go back to announcing curling.

Wish I would have seen the fight but couldn't pull the trigger on the $100 price tag.
Didn't watch the fight either, just caught updates on a couple of sports radio stations in town that gave a pretty good description of the action.

As for the fight itself, while I heard McGregor acquitted himself pretty good in the ring, a few boxing analysts came to the conclusion that Mayweather has lost some of his edge, either from his 2 year retirement layoff or more likely from the culprit that dictates the plans of so many pro athletes: age.

We won't see a rematch, this was a one off event. I wouldn't be surprised to see McGregor challenge one of the up and coming fighters, though, there are probably several out there. He probably could make a hell of a lot more money in the boxing game too, going back to the UFC would probably be a waste of time for him.

Or, as I pointed out in another post, he can enroll in the Gina Carano School of Acting and move to Hollywood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post

It went 10 rounds because Mayweather planned for it to go into the late rounds. It had nothing to do with McGregor.
If McGregor had made a move earlier to really take the fight to Mayweather, go all out like you see so many boxers do in later rounds when they know they're behind in points, he might have had a chance for either a TKO himself or at the very least a knockdown. By the time they got to the tenth, he was gassed. Have to give him credit for hanging in though, I enjoyed listening to his interview later. He defintely considers Mayweather a great boxer, and conceded that his experience is what gave him the edge. He also said he liked a good "Knock", which I guess is Dublin speak for a bout.

It sounds like the fans who paid the high price saw a pretty decent fight, although as I already pointed out a lot of analysts thought Mayweather was starting to look his age in comparison to his younger, dominant self. They said if he had faced one of what they called the "young lions" moving up the ranks that he would have had a much tougher time. Then again, who knows? Anything can happen in a fight.

Last edited by Spinner; 27 August 2017 at 15:49.
Old 27 August 2017, 17:36
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see McGregor challenge one of the up and coming fighters, though, there are probably several out there. He probably could make a hell of a lot more money in the boxing game too, going back to the UFC would probably be a waste of time for him.

Or, as I pointed out in another post, he can enroll in the Gina Carano School of Acting and move to Hollywood.
The UFC vs. boxing thing was raised when McGregor was interviewed post fight. It wouldn't surprise me. Assuming it wasn't all scripted (can't shake the suspicion 100%, because I can see the points raised in support of that, wouldn't you do that for $300 or $150 mill? I sure as shit would) then it would seem that with installing a bigger gas tank McGregor could at least move on to a second professional boxing bout. THAT fight will make big gate as well. If he gets beat like a drum then we'll know, right? But I think not....

He'll be offered a part or two. Rousey was and she's nowhere near as splashy as CM. I see him playing an Irish pimp transplanted to LA in an flick based on a book by Elmore Leonard....

"And thus I clothe my naked villainy with old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."
- Shakespeare, Richard III.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, "Seven Pillars of Wisdom".

Last edited by bobofthedesert; 27 August 2017 at 17:42.
Old 27 August 2017, 18:33
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
The UFC vs. boxing thing was raised when McGregor was interviewed post fight. It wouldn't surprise me. Assuming it wasn't all scripted (can't shake the suspicion 100%, because I can see the points raised in support of that, wouldn't you do that for $300 or $150 mill? I sure as shit would) then it would seem that with installing a bigger gas tank McGregor could at least move on to a second professional boxing bout. THAT fight will make big gate as well. If he gets beat like a drum then we'll know, right? But I think not....

He'll be offered a part or two. Rousey was and she's nowhere near as splashy as CM. I see him playing an Irish pimp transplanted to LA in an flick based on a book by Elmore Leonard....
I think he should jump into the movie business. He'd make as much or more money and he would be able to remember his kid's name when he reaches his 50's.
Old 27 August 2017, 18:39
Confirmed User

I think McGregor already has "fuck you" money and should just sit back and enjoy it, no reason to keep taking beatings with that much in the bank.

Didn't he say he was in it to make his $$$ and get out before he wound up like a lot of old fighters?
Old 27 August 2017, 19:16
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
I think McGregor already has "fuck you" money and should just sit back and enjoy it, no reason to keep taking beatings with that much in the bank.

Didn't he say he was in it to make his $$$ and get out before he wound up like a lot of old fighters?
Of course he did owe somewhere between $22.5 and $29Million in 2015 taxes after already paying a reported $3.3Million to get a lien lifted by the IRS. Whatever the total is, it just got A LOT easier to clear that tax "misunderstanding" up.

"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm." CR
Old 27 August 2017, 20:10
#AllLionsMatter

CM says: "I'm Irish and I'm proud of my country and people!"

I say: "I'm American and I'm proud for what our flag stands for and the American people."

Motherfuckers lose their minds....

This fight was a classic, "with age/experience comes wisdom."

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 27 August 2017, 20:37
BTDT

Actually, my post should have been Mayweather, NOT McGregor, too late to edit...

"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm." CR
Old 27 August 2017, 21:09
BTDT

So this is me highlighting my complete ignorance:

I noticed that CM was making a lot of contact with the sides of his gloves and doing some backhanding. Do those strikes count in a boxing match?

Pleasing everybody? Impossible. Pissing everybody off? Piece of cake.
Old 27 August 2017, 21:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRODA396 View Post
Of course he did owe somewhere between $22.5 and $29Million in 2015 taxes after already paying a reported $3.3Million to get a lien lifted by the IRS. Whatever the total is, it just got A LOT easier to clear that tax "misunderstanding" up.
Top bracket for federal is 39.5% so 100mm earnings goes down to 60.5mm and then you have all the agency and fees. Most guys get blindsided by that year end 1099 hence the liens.
Old 27 August 2017, 22:34
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e22 View Post
Top bracket for federal is 39.5% so 100mm earnings goes down to 60.5mm and then you have all the agency and fees. Most guys get blindsided by that year end 1099 hence the liens.
Mayweather will be broke in two years. McGregor has,already hinted at a financial plan. Who wins?

PS I didn't pay. There was a link going around that gave access to the showtime feed. I fired it up under the vpn.
Old 28 August 2017, 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post

I envision a sequel to Snatch, and the story line would include a reunion between Mickey O'Neill and his long lost half brother, who is also named Mickey, played of course by Conor McGregor.

Seriously, could you imagine the scenes between a barely intelligible Pitt talking back and forth with a slightly more intelligible McGregor?

Box office gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
Mayweather will be broke in two years. McGregor has,already hinted at a financial plan. Who wins?
Probably not in 2 years, but the cat definitely eats his way through a lot of cheese.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mor...Bjc7j0#image=4

I could see him, if not exactly dead broke, in serious financial straits down the line. Rumor has it that he keeps all of his money in a single bank account. I'm sure he's got quite a bit tied up in other investments such as real estate, etc., but he lives large, that's for sure.

Last edited by Spinner; 28 August 2017 at 12:51.
Old 28 August 2017, 13:07
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I envision a sequel to Snatch, and the story line would include a reunion between Mickey O'Neill and his long lost half brother, who is also named Mickey, played of course by Conor McGregor.
"Fookin' Pikeys"
Old 28 August 2017, 14:25

Pitt and McGregor don't look like the could be brothers, even half brothers, but they sure do sound like it.
Old 28 August 2017, 17:57

Let the lawsuits begin. An epic bout isn't complete until some party or another gets sued.

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news...es-1202540744/

I'm assuming that the service provider and promoter (that would be Mayweather) had indemnified themselves against just such a glitch as occurred Saturday night.
Old 29 August 2017, 20:51
Been There Done That

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21078666_1964870073730898_6958859978117073905_n.jpg (22.9 KB, 111 views)
Old 30 August 2017, 14:20

After seeing some of this fight I was thinking I'd like to see someone with the killer instincts of Hagler or Hearns on the boxer side of this match.
Old 30 August 2017, 18:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter1965 View Post
After seeing some of this fight I was thinking I'd like to see someone with the killer instincts of Hagler or Hearns on the boxer side of this match.
I'd like 'em use MMA rules...

Our new posting rules