Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 24 March 2017, 16:12
Perpetual FNG

RFI: Working For US Clients from Oz

MODS: I couldn't find a thread where this question seemed to fit. If I'm in the wrong place, I apologize and request guidance.

Can anyone here provide information regarding visas, taxes, duration of stay, etc. for US citizens working for US clients remotely while residing in Australia? I've been through the Aussie gov't website and can't find a visa that matches my situation. My emails to the consulate have, so far, gone unanswered.

I work for a small information security company based in So Cal. Currently, all of our clients are also based in CA. Because we offer 24-hour service, the boss wants to place a couple of analysts in Australia to make covering the overnight shifts easier and more efficient. None of our clients has a presence in Australia. We will not be opening a physical/legal location there unless required to do so. In the future we may take contracts with Australian companies, but we will not be taking any in the near term.

Thank you in advance for any help,

-MacS
Old 24 March 2017, 19:20
Confirmed User

My step-daughter is a newly minted immigration lawyer over here. I'll check if she knows anything about the visa side of it.
Old 24 March 2017, 19:25
Been There Done That

Dude, you just hire for the overnight. They don't need to be on the other side of the planet...
Old 24 March 2017, 19:59
Perpetual FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark0311 View Post
Dude, you just hire for the overnight. They don't need to be on the other side of the planet...
The boss has a vision ... and it includes me laying on the beach in Cottesloe, drinking beer in Freemantle, impressing women with my sexy American accent, and reaping the benefits of the very favorable exchange rate so I'm behind him 100%

Seriously though, it's a small company and the boss hand picks his analysts. My take on it is that he wants to create a win-win: our clients get served by analysts who are wide awake and we analysts get to go on a working vacation. I think he also wants an excuse to go to Australia on a semi-regular basis

-MacS
Old 24 March 2017, 20:17
Perpetual FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra290 View Post
My step-daughter is a newly minted immigration lawyer over here. I'll check if she knows anything about the visa side of it.
Thank you, Sierra290, I really appreciate it.

-MacS
Old 25 March 2017, 07:56
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSwarthy View Post
Thank you, Sierra290, I really appreciate it.

-MacS
No worries, pm sent. East coast is the best coast though...
Old 25 March 2017, 09:57
Confirmed User

Pay your estimated quarterly taxes like clockwork!

"When policemen break the law, then there isn't any law - just a fight for survival." - Billy Jack

Last edited by jerome; 25 March 2017 at 10:04.
Old 25 March 2017, 17:53
Legbreaker Extraordinaire

Bangkok, Phuket, and Manila all have good internet infrastructure and are also on that side of the world, as well as being a good deal cheaper and more amenable to taxes. Just sayin'.

Our new posting rules