Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Company Vetting and RFI

Old 24 April 2017, 21:30

Security Clearance

Hey guys,

I just completed my eqip for my security clearance. Any info on how long the DOS takes in processing or anything I need to know?
Old 24 April 2017, 21:37
Been There Done That

Roll a dice. Multiply by PI. Divide by tread depth of your tires.

Seriously, it all depends on how much they have to investigate and how willing they are to work. It can take 30 days to 2 years.

Don't quit your day job yet.
Old 24 April 2017, 23:09
Confirmed User

Yep, I am going for my 3rd wps job and have almost 6 yrs as pss/emt and it has been over 2 months now!

Winston Churchill
Old 25 April 2017, 11:00
Holy Diver

I know here in DOE land, Qs are taking 18-24 months and I speak with the investigators routinely and they tell me they are seriously backed up.

Also depends if this was an SSBI or NAC.
Old 4 May 2017, 01:02

DOS for a new secret without ANY issues or interviews are running about 6 months. Interviews or issues and guys are waiting up to a year!!
Old 4 May 2017, 08:19
Been There Done That

I just got an email from PSIP that they have received all of my documents and now they can go forward with my Security Clearance. I cannot believe that they want to give me a Secret Clearance with a BI for my Army Contractors Job..... What a waste of money.

I do not deal with any classified information at all. Only PII of deceased Veterans.
Old 4 May 2017, 09:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
I do not deal with any classified information at all. Only PII of deceased Veterans.
You realize that people can use that very information for nefarious reasons?
Old 4 May 2017, 10:27
Holy Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99superduty View Post
You realize that people can use that very information for nefarious reasons?
None the less there is no need for a clearance to access PII, only appropriate need to know. We parse out how information is protected so we do not spend money protecting information that only has limited impact to national or personal security. It's a graded approach. Otherwise we would just protect everything as TS/ SCI and go bankrupt doing so.

PII actually has some very tight controls these days but it should not be sucking up the same amount of resources to protect as Classified information.
Old 4 May 2017, 10:56
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC View Post

PII actually has some very tight controls these days but it should not be sucking up the same amount of resources to protect as Classified information.
Bingo.
Old 5 May 2017, 08:56
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC View Post
None the less there is no need for a clearance to access PII, only appropriate need to know. We parse out how information is protected so we do not spend money protecting information that only has limited impact to national or personal security. It's a graded approach. Otherwise we would just protect everything as TS/ SCI and go bankrupt doing so.

I agree that you no clearance is needed. However, I don't think that some of these agencies are actually granting a "clearance", just doing a background investigation. Seems prudent considering the attention that PII has been getting lately.
Old 5 May 2017, 17:26
Confirmed User

FWIW, just had a guy in my office with DHS TS (renewed about a year and a half ago) transfer to DoS (not sure what clearance level was needed), and it took about three months.

As I understand it, DoS took the latest DHS BI and just did an update to cover time since that one was done.

So if you had existing clearance recently enough, it may not take long for DoS to catch up.
Old 5 May 2017, 20:58
Confirmed User

Working part time at the V.A. I have to take a test once a year which includes PII an it has changed over the last year, has some very tight controls these days. The last two (2) years a lot more has been added.
Old 23 May 2017, 16:05
Semper Fidelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275RLTW View Post
It all depends on how much they have to investigate and how willing they are to work. It can take 30 days to 2 years.
No better answer 275RLTW. Every candidate is different, there is no rough estimate. These companies want to get you cleared and deployed. Be patient.

Our new posting rules