Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 23 June 2017, 09:10
Cloud bursting...

Ranger school prep

Gents,

I am prepping for Ranger school and would like some advice and maybe a workout plan/meal plan.

Currently I am 6ft, 218lbs, 13:10 2-mile, 80 PU, 80 SU. My goal is to hit 195-200lbs, run a 12:30 2-mile.

My workout plan is set for M-F with three workouts a day. In the mornings I conduct core strengthing workouts (p90x Ab Ripper X), push ups, pull ups, and try to squeeze in a quick mile or 2. In the afternoon I either do a long distance run, or a ruckmarch with a 60lb ruck. Then before bed I do another iteration of pushups and sit ups until muscle failure. I was told to avoid powerlifting, and instead focus on becoming more limber.

Academically, I was hoping for insight from recent RIs and students as to what I should focus my time studying, what really trips people up? How can I avoid/prep it?

I have already spent a lot of time reading, studying, preparing, I just want to do the best I can now to ensure success later.

Thank you,

PS
Old 23 June 2017, 09:28
Been There Done That

Sounds like you're already doing well enough, PT wise.

How far out is your class date?

If you're comfortable doing a long ruck with weight, I'd stop rucking completely if you're within a month or two of class, rationale being that you don't want to injure yourself doing heavy workouts when you're already in good enough shape.

Good luck, and never quit.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 23 June 2017, 10:15
The Sagacious One

Losing weight going into RS is not a tactic I have seen. I lost 54 lbs in 58 days while in RS. Some dudes gained weight, YMMV. Like B 2/75 eluded to, if you are in good shape, maintain it, maybe swim a bit but try and avoid being injured. All the nutrition stuff is for shit after about a week. Work on getting your mind ready to embrace the suck.
Old 23 June 2017, 10:24
Been There Done That

I suppose I should ask are you competing for a school slot, or have you already secured the slot?

I agree with TFG completely... don't bother trying to loose any weight prior to going, as your body really will need the calories as it starts to eat itself. Really.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 23 June 2017, 11:28
Been There Done That

Seems like you are already in good physical shape for the school. Just do enough to stay conditioned and don't over do it. Just make sure your heart and mind are prep for it. Believe me, your heart and mind WILL tell you to quit one or more times during the course. Don't over do it on the academic. Just go over the Ranger Handbook (SH 21-76) a couple times. During the course the RIs will teach you everything you need to do to go on to the next phase. Thank goodness I was a dumb PFC from battalion and didn't know jack when I went. I stuck with the old saying "when in Rome, do what the Romans do" and that worked for me.
Old 23 June 2017, 11:58
Been There Done That

Be able to max the Army PT test on your worst day. If you feel like crap... it's a good day to add a diagnostic PT test to your workout.

Be able to ruck endlessly. Distance & weight more important than absolute speed.

Physically, the course is more about legs, core, & cardio than upper body strength (although you need that too). Mountain climber shape vs. body building. Rucking & Running vs. Gym Lifting. Endurance Athlete / Infantryman vs. Football Lineman / Gym Rat.

Swimming would be good prep and maintenance workout for overall muscle tone & cardio. Plus, you need to be comfortable in the water while wearing uniform and gear. Rope or net climbs as an addition to pull ups.

Nothing will prep you for humping a ruck cross country other than getting out under that load regularly. Building up some callouses and breaking in boots. But, as B 2/75 mentioned, don't over do it as you get close to class date. Avoid excess and injury before your departure.

Don't worry about losing weight at all; arriving with a little extra body fat is actually better. During the course, you'll burn more daily calories than you replace with food... and lose body fat & muscle mass anyway.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. Just be able to continuously hang with the front of the pack and you'll be OK physically. It's also a gut check that goes on and on. As much mental as physical. Deal with the course one day at a time. Don't worry about yesterday or tomorrow. Just deal with the task at hand. Refuse to quit.

The school standards for ruck marches, PT tests, & obstacles are published. Your goal is to handily max them... when you're already tired from previous events and lack of sleep. Stamina. Endurance. Will Power.

(It's easy for a retired old broke dick to toss out advice... but it's what I remember. Sounds like you're already in shape. Just push your ability to embrace the suck. LOL.)

Last edited by Astronomy; 23 June 2017 at 12:24.
Old 23 June 2017, 12:15
Been There Done That

Learn your knots...brush up on land nav, etc.
Old 23 June 2017, 12:20
Been There Done That

There is some really good advice in this thread (like your post, Astronomy).

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 23 June 2017, 12:32
Been There Done That

Like Thai Ranger said... review the current Ranger Handbook, and especially know the Patrol Order format inside and out. You'll eventually be tapped to be the PL at 0Dark30 some rainy night, after you've been humping a 240B all afternoon and night, and will have a half hour to put together a mission-saving patrol order when everyone around you is totally droned-out. No relying on someone else to help you out. Do or die, so to speak.

Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 23 June 2017, 12:58
Been There Done That

as a former 11A, you should understand the roles of the duty positions within an IN PLT, as well as the skill level 1 tasks associated with those positions. FM 7-8 (or whatever's current) battle drills should be muscle memory.

the biggest problem I saw was Os trying to be Os when they should have been a rifleman, etc.... if you're in charge, be in charge. when you aren't be a good follower and execute the commands and directives of those who are in charge, once they've decided on a course of action. or not, if you're trying to set them up to fail a graded position. if a squared away dude turns into an idiot when you're in charge, is he having a bad day, or have you done something that made it a choice for him? if you don't do what's right for your fellow students, and start looking out for yourself to their detriment, it could come back on you when you're in a graded position. you will have to find a balance between selflessness, and self-sustainment.

everyone has a bad day. you will too.

there's a reason you don't wear rank in school. embrace your position whatever it may be during that iteration.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 23 June 2017, 13:58
Authorized Personnel

Since this is about Ranger school, I would like to chime in.

I walked outside without shoes a lot. It toughened the bottom of my feet. "Hot" Sidewalks, grass, rocks sand... anything around your home but do it a lot.

I put "hot" in quotes because it was Ft Drum in the summer which differs greatly from damn near every other location...:)

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.
Old 23 June 2017, 14:22
Been There Done That

Sounds like your in shape. It's nothing but one big suck fest. Just get your mind right.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 23 June 2017, 15:07
Cloud bursting...

Thank you for the advice everyone, sorry for the late reply, it's been a busy day.

B 2/75 I have a long time before school (7-9 months hopefully), it will be IBOLC dependent, so I must complete that first. (made the jump from E to O). I am just trying to prep now, instead of waiting around until the last minute.

Last edited by Psyop Shaw; 23 June 2017 at 15:32.
Old 23 June 2017, 15:28
Been There Done That

OK... congrats, LT. Case o' beer on ya.

Strike all the above, but stay in shape.
Ruck on, but don't kill yourself.
PT test max is a given.

Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 23 June 2017, 15:48
Been There Done That

try to get a PRC slot post IBOLC to refine what you need to do in RS.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 23 June 2017, 16:16
Another pool cleaner

Great advice so far.

I went in as a dumb-ass grunt with no expectation except I will be tired and hungry. I didn't get RIP or any coaching. I had no idea of what to expect.

A couple of things I learned:

(1) expect to be tired. All the time.
(2) expect to be hungry. All the time.
(3) Do better than the standard PT/ruck. I have no idea why students couldn't pass the tests. They were not extraordinary.
(4) Practice proper foot care. I had huge blisters that made me limp through all of Ranger School. I was stupid. Not smart.
(5) Don't be a spotlight Ranger. Do your part and be ready to accept a leadership role at anytime.
(6) Practice good hygiene. I ended up with cellulitis and lymphangitis the last week (Desert phase). It happened after my knee scrapes got infected. I gutted and limped on the patrols and being PL. Don't do this.

Good luck.
Old 23 June 2017, 16:20
#AllLionsMatter

Hide, then hide some more!

I was SF when I went and that shit was horrible!

Good luck and thanks for embracing the suck!

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 23 June 2017, 16:34
Been There Done That

Know how to do an OPORD.

Don't overthink it too much, just get the slot, be in good shape, and have the "never quit" attitude.

8654maine and Astronomy have good posts. Well said. I was a 19 year old Admin Clerk when I went, if I could make it through anyone can with the right determination.

Practice not eating or sleeping.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 23 June 2017, 19:05
Been There Done That

Memorize Ranger handbook, and make sure your land nav is solid. Always double or triple check all your figures, then keep a really lowwwwww profile......that is all
Old 23 June 2017, 19:47
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
make sure your land nav is solid.
Got recycled for this. Be squared away.

Our new posting rules