Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 24 June 2017, 23:26
Been There Done That

Like some have said get your mind in the shape to take on anything and anyone. Memorize any and all you can out of the current Ranger Handbook. I think a lot has changed since B 2/75 and I were in Class 4-80 but one thing that hasn't change is the fact that it is going to SUCK. Remember Strength Through Adversity and good luck...
Old 25 June 2017, 09:59
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyop Shaw View Post
Thank you for the advice everyone, sorry for the late reply, it's been a busy day.

B 2/75 I have a long time before school (7-9 months hopefully), it will be IBOLC dependent, so I must complete that first. (made the jump from E to O). I am just trying to prep now, instead of waiting around until the last minute.
You will probably have to compete for a slot there as well.
Old 25 June 2017, 14:11
Been There Done That

If your desire to lose weight, is so that you are leaner, faster and fitter, that is one thing. Otherwise that's like saying you going to stay up 22 hours a day to get used to lack of sleep ..
Old 25 June 2017, 18:27
Been There Done That

^I lost over 30 pounds in Ranger School, only time in my life I have sported a perfect ripped six pack. If I had gone to Ranger school with a tight six pack, looking like a Calvin Klein model, I would have been sucking hind tit, and probably not made it. Especially after getting recycled and going through mountains twice in the winter.

You need a little fat to make it through Ranger school, and SFAS as well (or doing long range patrol movements operationally, in general). Not a beer gut, or obese or out of standards, but you need some fat. Where is it I read once some study that said for SFAS, you need about 13 - 19% body fat ideally? Actually, I would be PTing your ass off, as mentioned above - rucking, pushups, chin up, core workouts......and eat healthy to your heart's content before going. Practice eating some Blueberry Pancakes after a super set of chin ups and rope climbing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 25 June 2017, 20:59
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
the biggest problem I saw was Os trying to be Os when they should have been a rifleman, etc.... if you're in charge, be in charge. when you aren't be a good follower and execute the commands and directives of those who are in charge, once they've decided on a course of action.

everyone has a bad day. you will too.

The above is sage advice.

Might I also suggest that when you are not in a leadership position, along with being a good follower, you volunteer to hump the extra gear for your fellow Rangers, pull the suck jobs, and look out for your buddies when they are having a bad day? When peer review time comes around, you want to be considered one of the lads cooperating so everybody can graduate. Many of your fellow Ranger students are going thru the course with buddies from their units - and they will be going back. If you are not fully part of the effort, it will be easy to vote you out when the time comes.
Old 26 June 2017, 14:49
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
^I lost over 30 pounds in Ranger School, only time in my life I have sported a perfect ripped six pack. If I had gone to Ranger school with a tight six pack, looking like a Calvin Klein model, I would have been sucking hind tit, and probably not made it. Especially after getting recycled and going through mountains twice in the winter.

You need a little fat to make it through Ranger school, and SFAS as well (or doing long range patrol movements operationally, in general). Not a beer gut, or obese or out of standards, but you need some fat. Where is it I read once some study that said for SFAS, you need about 13 - 19% body fat ideally? Actually, I would be PTing your ass off, as mentioned above - rucking, pushups, chin up, core workouts......and eat healthy to your heart's content before going. Practice eating some Blueberry Pancakes after a super set of chin ups and rope climbing.
Never a Ranger nor have I gone through Ranger school, but speaking from the perspective of somebody who lost close to 50 pounds on a deployment, that strikes me as very sound advice.

During the alert cycle and preparation for heading to Saudi, my eating habits took a hit, due to the pace of preparations mostly. I wound up eating stuff like Taco Bell, etc, and looking back my big regret in terms of diet was that I did not consume more fat, it would have benefited me in the long run, although I'm sure I still would have dropped a lot of weight.

Louis L'Amour's really fine novel, The Last of the Breed, really hammers this point home. The protaganist, an Air Force pilot trying to escape captivity in Siberia, is constantly on the hunt for those animals that can provide the most fat. Fat intake was essential for his survival, and I realize now that is one of those dietary essentials that should be considered before any arduous task or expedition.

From all of the stories I've read on this thread, a lot of you guys seem to come out of that school suffering from malnutrition, a good part of prep would seem to be balancing your diet with healthy, but increased, amounts of fat. It's pretty clear you'll burn it off, but always best to start out with a healthy, bit higher percentage of fat as far as your total body mass goes prior to starting your school.

Sorry to jump in, I will now dive back into the car pool lane.
Old 26 June 2017, 16:13
Been There Done That

Ranger School weight loss is pretty inevitable, but the amount varies wildly among students. A function of age, build, & metabolism.

I went at 20 years old and 178 lbs (coming out of 2/75). Already in shape & pretty lean. I weighed myself at the barracks in Florida after the culminating Santa Rosa Island raid... 170 lbs. So not much drastic weight loss for me. But I sure felt skinny and starved.

Others lost a lot more. Much more. One of my class mates from 2/75 was a man-mountain. 300+ lbs, just a few inches under 7 feet tall, and a lot of body fat. Just a naturally big NFL Tackle sized guy who could hang tough in the field.

He took the John Candy attitude (from the movie Stripes) and viewed RS as not just a tough course, but as a free weight loss program courtesy of the Army. He deliberately shorted himself on rations (giving away food to fellow patrol members) and lost something like 70 lbs by graduation. Needless to say, he was everyone's hero. IIRC, also one of the Honor Grads.

The funny thing is that he gained most of that weight right back after a few months back at Battalion. Evidently, The Big Ranger In The Sky just wanted him some Extra-Large Rangers.

I recall that older and/or heavier guys were the ones who lost the most average weight. Anywhere from 10-30 lbs.

Anyway... on top of everything else, Ranger School is a hell of an effective diet plan.
Old 26 June 2017, 19:07
Been There Done That

There are other things one loses going through the course....

I was out on an LP/OP in Florida phase when a Batt boy and I were talking. He was worried because he hadn't had a "woody" in weeks and thought his "junk" didn't work any more.
Old 26 June 2017, 20:36
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post

I was out on an LP/OP in Florida phase when a Batt boy and I were talking. He was worried because he hadn't had a "woody" in weeks and thought his "junk" didn't work any more.
Same experience. My theory is that your body goes into starvation/self preservation mode: your body is more concerned about simply surviving that luxuries like procreating.
Old 26 June 2017, 22:53
Confirmed User

Didn't complete RS.

Some things that I noticed while I was there.

Be a bro, don't be a dick.
Bring something to the table. IE: Know your knots so you can help with tie downs, be awesome at fire support overlays, shit out a rocking terrain model, stay up late to cement down some Ranger hacks, whatever. If you're a basic bitch who gets carried by the dudes, or if you're constantly bringing the chode attitude, you're probably going to get peered.
The inmates will start running the asylum.

Pre-Ranger course is a double edged sword.
If you graduate you have something like a 75-90% chance of making it through RS.
However, if you graduate you only have 2 days of rest before RS.

Vast majority of the RPFT failures are due to pushups.

You can find the Ranger 20 Boards online. Study those.
Old 26 June 2017, 23:52
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ5326 View Post
Same experience. My theory is that your body goes into starvation/self preservation mode: your body is more concerned about simply surviving that luxuries like procreating.
Hahaha!

I didn't even think about sex. I only had dreams of food. Lots of food.

But I saved candy for my Ranger buddy and my LT from Force. 'Cause I care. ;-)

My hair and nails stopped growing.

Actually, my blisters dried up but the skin never healed. All the energy was used for more important things.
Old 27 June 2017, 00:54
Been There Done That

You always have food on your mind. If a playboy bunny walked through your patrol base you would ask for food. Poon tang was the last thing on my mind.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 27 June 2017, 11:31
Been There Done That

As the Current OPS SGM here at 4th RTBn here is some advice:

Get in better shape, don't rest on your laurels. Everything is easier when you're not smoked.

If you have a nagging injury coming in, it'll get worse here.

Don't come here on a timeline.(I'm gonna go straight through so I can make my buddies wedding, birth of child, family reunion etc etc) Have it in your mind that you're going to recycle and be here possibly up to 4-6 months.

Manage your expectations of the experience. IF you graduate you're not going to be a ninja or expert in anything except knowing how to suck. The most you learn here is about yourself.

Be a good dude but not nice all the time.

Get in the Ranger handbook now but don't worry about academics. The RI will teach you everything you need to know and you're going to learn everything you need to know about OPORDS in IBOLC.

Don't click up with your officer bros and shit on the enlisted dudes in your squad, they'll find a way to fuck you back.

RI's have a job to do especially here at Benning, don't take it personal. Most are mature and professional but some are assholes by nature and will take it out on "Ranger"

It's not hard, it just fucking SUCKS!

Know the difference between being hurt and injured. You're going to hurt here from the neck down at some point.

Everything during RAP week is an individual assessment and not passing will result in getting kicked out. PT test, CWSA, Land Nav, Ranger Task Training (use to be called Ranger stakes) and the 12 miler. Everything is re testable except the 5 mile run and footmarch.

Get your personal life in order. If something is on your mind (wife/girlfriend problems, sick family member etc etc) you're going to use that as a reason to quit when it's sucking the most.

Be a leader when you're in a leadership position, be a good follower when you're not.

Don't fucking QUIT!
Old 27 June 2017, 12:03
Conformed User

I was given sound advice from two of the few tabbed members of my IOBC class - Tom Bostick and Joel Cahill (RIP).

During IOBC, the opportunity may arise (it did for me) to sign on to an 'early' RS class to get that class plussed up. The downside is that you skip pre-ranger and zero week, and come in day 1. This is also the upside - you avoid the wait in IOBC holdover, you avoid the added wear and tear on your body. Basically, you just go. Pull off the band-aid.

Both Cahill and Bostick told me that I MUST volunteer (voluntold?) for that early class. I did and used the (significant) downtime of IOBC to prep myself, with help from both of them. Granted, they were both the types to be willing to help a numb nuts guy like me. I feel as if I owe my tab to both to a large extent.

We had 12 of us volunteer to go early. 5 made it straight through (I was one), 3 more recycled one or more times and made it through. The others failed - so, pretty much in line with overall grad rates.

Another bonus was it placed me in a class comprised of mostly Batt boys and NCOs. No West Pointers (they hadn't graduated yet) and fewer officers (maybe 10%). Thus, the patrols were better executed, and the planning that the few officers could bring was actually considered a value. Later classed of mostly officers - different story.

There was a little E versus O bias that had to be worked out, but, hey, that's the Army anyway.
Old 27 June 2017, 12:49
Confirmed User

Thank you SGM...passing this onto my nephew who will be attending in the very near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhes160 View Post

Get in better shape, don't rest on your laurels. Everything is easier when you're not smoked.

If you have a nagging injury coming in, it'll get worse here.

Don't come here on a timeline.(I'm gonna go straight through so I can make my buddies wedding, birth of child, family reunion etc etc) Have it in your mind that you're going to recycle and be here possibly up to 4-6 months.

Manage your expectations of the experience. IF you graduate you're not going to be a ninja or expert in anything except knowing how to suck. The most you learn here is about yourself.

Be a good dude but not nice all the time.

Get in the Ranger handbook now but don't worry about academics. The RI will teach you everything you need to know and you're going to learn everything you need to know about OPORDS in IBOLC.

Don't click up with your officer bros and shit on the enlisted dudes in your squad, they'll find a way to fuck you back.

RI's have a job to do especially here at Benning, don't take it personal. Most are mature and professional but some are assholes by nature and will take it out on "Ranger"

It's not hard, it just fucking SUCKS!

Know the difference between being hurt and injured. You're going to hurt here from the neck down at some point.

Everything during RAP week is an individual assessment and not passing will result in getting kicked out. PT test, CWSA, Land Nav, Ranger Task Training (use to be called Ranger stakes) and the 12 miler. Everything is re testable except the 5 mile run and footmarch.

Get your personal life in order. If something is on your mind (wife/girlfriend problems, sick family member etc etc) you're going to use that as a reason to quit when it's sucking the most.

Be a leader when you're in a leadership position, be a good follower when you're not.

Don't fucking QUIT!
Old 27 June 2017, 14:24
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
As the Current OPS SGM here at 4th RTBn here is some advice
The resources here never cease to amaze me.
Old 27 June 2017, 15:33
Been There Done That

Great advice CSM. I used to have your job.

Old 28 June 2017, 12:08
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Great advice CSM. I used to have your job.
It's fun and frustrating at the same time. For the record though I'm only a SGM in title, just a MSG who's at his retirement rank
Old 28 June 2017, 12:53
Been There Done That

Quote:

. . . S N I P . . .

. . . S N I P . . .

Don't fucking QUIT!
Example: my first RS class was 4-80, which was full of LT's fresh outta IOBC. There were six West Pointers and an ROTC guy in my squad in Benning. Guess who got peered, across the board. Yup, the enlisted swine from the two Battalions.

Payback comes slow and silent... revenge is best served cold, and in the frozen mountains of 4-80 it was dished out with relish.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 28 June 2017, 13:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
It's fun and frustrating at the same time. For the record though I'm only a SGM in title, just a MSG who's at his retirement rank
I was also just a MSG at the time working at Brigade Ops. They had just authorized that Ops SGM position. Bobby Lane was the OPS SGM and pcs'd.
I filled the position for about 6 months till another SGM finished the academy. Shortly afterwards I moved to HHC 4th RTB 1SG.

Our new posting rules