Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 19 July 2017, 15:19

SOF/Ranger/CSAR/CASEVAC options for Regitered Nurse

Hey everyone, not sure if this is the right place to put this, but here goes. I've been looking to see what my options are as a registered nurse in relation to these communities and was hoping you all could give me some advice.

I've thought about the US Air Force's Combat rescue Officer (CRO) position parallel to the PJs, but I just recently commissioned in the US Army as a trauma nurse and was looking for a job that utilized my medical skills a little more.

Are there medical teams attached to SOF on standby or something like it? Does a Ranger battalion have their own medical support staff? And I REALLY was hoping to get outside the wire to get into CSAR/MEDEVAC, but it seems like its all on a volunteer basis for short duration on deployment.

Any help or information is appreciated, it really feels like I'm missing something here. There's no way the US Army wouldn't have the capability for something like this.
Old 19 July 2017, 17:39
Been There Done That

Short answer is that there are multiple elements within USSOCOM that have RN positions, and that may involve work "outside the wire." In most of these jobs the RNs serve primarily as...RNs...but sometimes senior RNs serve as element leaders/commanders.

None of these units will talk to you until you distinguish yourself from all of the other RNs in the .mil, so...go be a good RN, show leadership, become known as a solid, dependable soldier (vice "another nurse") and doors will open.
Old 19 July 2017, 18:10
Been There Done That

^^^ Solid Advice from a Voice of Experience

Short answer is to do what Gavin recommends. For 3 or more years. Then look for utilization in a hero role when you're a sharp, proven tool, rather than an eager newt.

BTW, how is it that you've come to believe that your medical skills won't be used to their fullest as an Army trauma nurse? Really?

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 19 July 2017, 19:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
BTW, how is it that you've come to believe that your medical skills won't be used to their fullest as an Army trauma nurse? Really?
What I meant by that was, I don't think I would be as medically involved as a CRO in the Air Force.

Thanks for the advice, I'll work on establishing myself and volunteering for everything I can. Do you guys have any idea what these USSOCOM jobs entail as an RN? Are we talking like a forward surgical team, MEDEVAC... or? Any info you are able
Old 19 July 2017, 20:12
Been There Done That

Several USSOCOM elements exist to put higher levels of care closer to the point of injury.
Old 19 July 2017, 20:25
Confirmed User

Gavin gave you the answer you seek. You would work as an RN, though your role may be expanded as needs arise to include assisting with operations/procedures. Under most circumstances, you would not be providing point-of-injury care. Beyond that information, there isn't much more to say on an Internet forum. The advice you have gotten is outstanding: be a good nurse, a good soldier, and distinguish yourself, and you will likely get noticed.

Good luck!

Danny
Old 20 July 2017, 07:27
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest57 View Post
What I meant by that was, I don't think I would be as medically involved as a CRO in the Air Force.

Thanks for the advice, I'll work on establishing myself and volunteering for everything I can. Do you guys have any idea what these USSOCOM jobs entail as an RN? Are we talking like a forward surgical team, MEDEVAC... or? Any info you are able
Hit the 50m target before attempting the 300m one.
Old 20 July 2017, 11:43
Been There Done That

Quote:
I think you overestimate the amount of medical involvement of an average CRO.
Old 20 July 2017, 20:06
Been There Done That

Quote:
Hey everyone, not sure if this is the right place to put this, but here goes. I've been looking to see what my options are as a registered nurse in relation to these communities and was hoping you all could give me some advice. .
Forrest57: Suggest you go through your chain of command and tell them of your intersts. As expressed in this thread, you have opportunities.
v/r
FKL
https://www.amazon.com/Medical-Augme...ges/B00BR1JUP2
Old 21 July 2017, 22:21
Old and Broke

Too bad you went Army.

http://www.24sow.af.mil/Special-Tact...urgical-Teams/

Our new posting rules