Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Domestic Jobs

Old 9 September 2017, 22:05

Resume

Any one here write usa jobs resumes. Or can point me in the right direction, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 9 September 2017, 22:19
Been There Done That

I can connect you with a lady who does it. Charges between $450-800 for it, depending on length etc. Does that sound interesting to you?

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 9 September 2017, 22:20

Yes
Old 9 September 2017, 22:27
EOD Mod

Bobbo,
I have limited experience with those, having only filled my own out once. It's much different than a civilian in how far they want you to go back, and you'll need references for each position.
Old 10 September 2017, 11:15
The atomic zit

There is a thread about resumes:

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=103797
Old 10 September 2017, 11:17
Confirmed User

Personally I would keep your money. USAJobs is actually not that complicated and has an embedded Resume Builder that walks you through the steps. Something to consider though is that what you are writing is closer to a CV than a resume. USAJobs resumes can run to ten pages or more based on your relevant work experience. Also, you need to fully elaborate your KSAs. If a job post has a KSA that states, "must be able to fill out an application in USAJobs," and you don't write in your resume, "able to fill out an application in USAJobs," you will be considered "unqualified" despite the fact that you obviously can fill out an USAJobs application because you just did. The other thing is Federal employers like quantifiable data, like "improved work flow by 10%" or "supervised 8 department heads overseeing 123 total personnel". In closing, for USAJobs, more information / detail is better.

x/S
Old 10 September 2017, 18:13
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
I can connect you with a lady who does it. Charges between $450-800 for it, depending on length etc. Does that sound interesting to you?
Whoa...really that much?
Old 10 September 2017, 20:44
It is what it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrax View Post
Whoa...really that much?
I share your skepticism. I just Googled "resume templates" and it worked well for me. But I assume that it depends on what you're using it for.
Old 10 September 2017, 20:54
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrax View Post
Whoa...really that much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletAim View Post
I share your skepticism. I just Googled "resume templates" and it worked well for me. But I assume that it depends on what you're using it for.
There are plenty of resume' writers out there, but they won't necessarily do the best job for what the OP is asking. Anyone can write a resume', but that doesn't mean it will meet the requirements wanted per se as in USAjobs!
Old 10 September 2017, 21:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
There are plenty of resume' writers out there, but they won't necessarily do the best job for what the OP is asking. Anyone can write a resume', but that doesn't mean it will meet the requirements wanted per se as in USAjobs!
I agree. If doing it all over again, I would gladly drop that coin knowing it puts me a leg up on others writing it themselves. Most of these positions pay well, and have excellent benefits/retirement. YMMV
Old 11 September 2017, 01:10
Confirmed User

The best thing to try an do is get a copy of the Job description an work from there.
Old 11 September 2017, 01:50
True Origin Not Known

Gentlemen

Another vet told me how to game this. Use a deaddrop email, and get the job description on USAJobs. Write your resume to the announcement. Go get 'em boys.

Are you fucking serious? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week...and I'm at a senior staff planning conference, so, the bar has been set pretty high. You should be proud. - Gavin
Old 11 September 2017, 06:32
Swimming Upstream

If you don't match the job description with what you write, your resume will not get to the hiring manager...BTDT. If you believe your experience translates to the job, then put aside the feeling that you are fudging and write it to the job description, using the same words...the first people who come in contact with your resume and determine whether to forward it to the hiring manager, don't know what the job is, don't know who the hiring manager is and merely see if you match enough to forward.

Imagine you are applying for a job at Google, but it is a niche position and the worksite is in Atlanta. Now the people who first see your resume are HR reps that know nothing of the job you are applying for and they are located in Seattle...they are simply looking to see if your resume matches the requirements set in front of them...they don't know how to read into your background to determine that you are a good fit...you either match the requirements or you don't. So yeah, make your KSAs match and use the same words. Your goal is to make it in front of the person who is looking to hire...but don't lie about whether you can do the job...that will become obvious to them-just make the words match..so the decision maker can determine whether to interview you or not.

As for the resume..make it long and wordy but make the words count and speak to the job description...they want details.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 11 September 2017, 07:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
If you don't match the job description with what you write, your resume will not get to the hiring manager...BTDT. If you believe your experience translates to the job, then put aside the feeling that you are fudging and write it to the job description, using the same words...the first people who come in contact with your resume and determine whether to forward it to the hiring manager, don't know what the job is, don't know who the hiring manager is and merely see if you match enough to forward.

Imagine you are applying for a job at Google, but it is a niche position and the worksite is in Atlanta. Now the people who first see your resume are HR reps that know nothing of the job you are applying for and they are located in Seattle...they are simply looking to see if your resume matches the requirements set in front of them...they don't know how to read into your background to determine that you are a good fit...you either match the requirements or you don't. So yeah, make your KSAs match and use the same words. Your goal is to make it in front of the person who is looking to hire...but don't lie about whether you can do the job...that will become obvious to them-just make the words match..so the decision maker can determine whether to interview you or not.

As for the resume..make it long and wordy but make the words count and speak to the job description...they want details.
If you are applying to Google or any other tech firm, the first eyes on your resume won't be in Seattle, but Bangledesh. IDK if USAJobs offshores their HR functions, but Silicon Valley sure does so be prepared to have your resume read by a groundshitter who barely speaks English before any interviews happen.
22 Aug 17
Old 11 September 2017, 09:12
Confirmed User

Did a separate USAJOBS resume for every application. I went so far as highlighting in bold the exact words of the KSA for each one. The job description for each job is slightly modified from the performance evaluations (OER/SEER, etc.). Takes time but you can DIY. Remember, the resume' is only the entry key and is initially read by admin types (big time - who you know). Good luck.

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880
Old 11 September 2017, 09:21
#AllLionsMatter

Applicant Tracking System (ATS)

Before an actual human even sees your application, it'll be sorted automatically.

Link...

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 11 September 2017, 09:22
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
IDK if USAJobs offshores their HR functions.
They don't. Everything goes thru the hiring agencies HR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
so be prepared to have your resume read by a groundshitter who barely speaks English before any interviews happen.
That is the case with USAJOBs. First one that gets it is a GS4/5 that has no clue what the hell the job is but they go thru using a computer that picks up key words. More key word matches, SUPPOSDESLY gets your stuff to the front of the pile.

I've got resumes for jobs that I've posted on here that had no business being in the pile that got referred to hiring authority but did anyway.
Old 11 September 2017, 11:00
#AllLionsMatter

Red face

While as a SERE instructor in the military. I was ETSing and applied for a SERE "civilian" slot and it came back NOT-QUALIFIED....

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 11 September 2017, 11:06

USAJobs is largely a numbers game. A lot of the positions already have someone in mind and it's hard to get past the reviewer. Highlight military experience and use all the buzzwords in the announcement. Address every one. You will be ranked on a scoring system based on how closely your experience matches those buzzwords in the announcement and then given extra points for things like military experience and current government employment. The top ten to twenty resumes go to the selection committee who will then choose five (or so) to interview.

Keep applying! I think I applied for about 25 jobs before I finally got a Fed position, despite being infinitely more qualified than the selectee in some cases. They key is to get past the initial review and make it to an interview. Of all those applications I did, I only got interviewed twice (both after completely changing my resume around) and was selected after my second one.
Old 11 September 2017, 11:18
Confirmed User

The last interview I went to, I came in second to a guy who had been doing the exact same job at a different site for the same agency for 15yrs. This particular agency likes to accommodate people who want to move around. The reason I know is because I called and asked how I did after they made their selection to improve myself for next time.

As far a resume writing here's my advice;

To write an effective USA Jobs resume, two areas of the job announcement contain information that you must read and write to, they are non-negotiable! One is the qualifications, which often also contain the screen out element(s), and the questionnaire. I copy the qualifications, screen out elements, and questions to a word document, separate out each qualification, screen out element and question ie make them their own line item. Then I begin, in red font, to type how I am qualified to each line, what I did, how I did it and what the accomplishments were. Then I cut and paste the red font part of the word doc into the USA Jobs resume builder. Generally go back 10yrs, but know that there is no statute of limitation on experience. This is what I learned from the USA Jobs resume writing webinar, and it gets me referred over 90% of the time. Each "new" resume takes me about 2 days start to finish.

On the advice of a very experienced HR person, I do have one application/resume that is in referred status right now and was professionally written by “The USA Jobs expert”. So hopefully I will get an interview out of that.

Our new posting rules