Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 23 November 2004, 06:17
Whatever Sucks the Most

thanks for the assist, Mark.

not sure if I am old and stupid, or just stupid, or just old.

it is not like you did not tell me before.

Depicted, fresh off the plane from Fury DZ, October 29, 1983, from left to right, LT Raymond "Tony" Thomas, Middle, Sergeant Mike Cameron, Right, unknown Ranger from 2d Battalion.

Mooch sent me this pic. It shows the first Rangers receiving their CIBs after returning from the island.
Old 23 November 2004, 08:16
BTDT

I cannot remember the third Ranger's name either, I DO remember the fight on the airplane amongst the guys. Nobody wanted to get off the plane and have their CIB piined on that night. Heck we just wanted to get some sleep!
Old 23 November 2004, 08:28
Administrator

IIRC, Thomas also received either a Bronze Star or a Silver Star.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 23 November 2004, 18:45
Gunny = god

Various

Quote:
I DO remember the fight on the airplane amongst the guys. Nobody wanted to get off the plane and have their CIB piined on that night. Heck we just wanted to get some sleep!
Now that's funny and something I did not know. gerryeric, any idea how they figured out who'd be volun-told? :-)

Quote:
Thomas also received either a Bronze Star or a Silver Star
Sharky, please don't get magician started on this. Oh, I can see it now my friend... magician =
not because it was Thomas but for other reasons.
S/F
Mooch
Old 23 November 2004, 19:24
Gunny = god

Food For Thought

True Blue Campus.
Can anyone help magician figure out where he and the rest of A Company were when the BTR's attacked from this picture?
S/F
Mooch
Old 23 November 2004, 19:33
Gunny = god

Map

This is probably going to be too big but hopefully it'll help you guys shake some cobwebs loose.
S/F
Mooch
Old 24 November 2004, 00:54
Gunny = god

Camp

The old Cuban Camp behind the Salines terminal buildings.
Old 24 November 2004, 04:23
Whatever Sucks the Most

got that right.

all you got to do to wind me up is mention Ranger officers, Urgent Fury, and Bronze Stars.

they all got them.

in fact, i think the very first post on my blog was about that very topic. Chapped my fucking ass.

that photograph of True Blue has me all fucked up.

I see where I believe that me and Bob Nagy and Lucky Luciano and one other guy....Curt Young? Were sitting when those BTRs came down the road...but the way that the road runs has me confused....it looks different on the map than it does in the photo....

I remember running DOWN off high ground into the campus....past trees and buildings....and up to a berm, where the road was up along the top.

The runway was to my left. I do not remember the END of the runway being so close, but scale is a weird thing, and that runway was big, a lot bigger than you think, until you are standing on it, going "shit, this thing is fucking huge."

I need to sit down with a hard copy of the map and the photo side by side, on a light table, and a magnifying loop. I also think that the photo cuts off important parts of the engagement zone on the left-hand side. Maybe Gerry and Bob can cast some more light on this.

The way the map looks makes much more sense to me....much, much more sense...it meshes with my memory. But that photo fucks me all up. When was it taken, Joe? Do you know?

Last edited by magician; 24 November 2004 at 04:28.
Old 24 November 2004, 10:16
BTDT

I'm with you Steve, that photo doesn't jive with my memory for the same reasons. It was more of a depression and a berm on the BTR side (left in the photo). There was a chain link fence around it that 1st Bn breached in a couple places.
Old 24 November 2004, 13:04
Been There Done That

I think this is the hill with the Zs...mind is rusty..sheeze

JP
I heard a Green Beret say once to a man that failed a highly demanding school, "It is still the individual effort, the ability to take one more step, and to understand that the pain of finishing is more intense, but finite, however the pain of quitting is unbearable..... and eternal.
Old 24 November 2004, 13:08

I'm back, great trip.

Great pictures! Its good to read about what happened. As an airwinger we wouldn't get too much info, especially about the Army. I never really knew what you Rangers did, just the basics. I think I was on 2 or 3 missions carrying Army guys, they wore green fatigues with steel pots, I guess they were Rangers. One was early in the morning, though that one may have been Marines. We flew so many missions they all seem to blend together. We didn't get much sleep.

And yes I'm 42, and feeling it!
Old 25 November 2004, 01:39
Whatever Sucks the Most

yeah....that photo does not fit my memory at all....

I remember running through the campus....and hitting the berm....it was high....and it was all mud, and bare....I had to crawl up it....it was at least eight or nine feet, I would say, maybe more....way over my head....shit....it could have been as high as 15 or 20 feet high....now that I think about it....guys were spread out all along it....

there was a road or open space running along the base of it.....RV Voyles came strolling along it....

there were a lot of guys spread out along that berm. It was long. I could see the runway to my left. I remember seeing a C-130 taxi'ing there...and a loadie dumping and kicking crates off the ramp as it turned to take off in a hurry.

I think that the photo cuts off a big part, maybe most, if not all, of the engagement zone.
Old 27 November 2004, 17:41
Confirmed User

Al Bishop

I believe the Ranger on the right is Al Bishop, FIST, A Co. He claimed to be the youngest Ranger to jump into Grenada. Al was a feisty guy who was afraid of neither man nor beer.
Old 27 November 2004, 23:27
Gunny = god

Bishop

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but if Bishop was a FiST'er, wouldn't he be inelligible for the CIB?
Granted I'm a jarhead and am not wise to all things CIB, but I recall talking to some 1st Batt FiST'ers who basically told me even though they did plenty of grunt stuff during the fight to secure Salines, they still couldn't wear the CIB cause they weren't 11 series bubbas.
S/F
Mooch
Old 28 November 2004, 01:35
Confirmed User

FIST/11B

IIRC, Al was an 11B. But when Al & I graduated RIP, A Co. needed Wpns platoon folks. They lined us up and invited us to go to AntiTank (which I did), FIST (which Al did) or, IIRC, mortars.

I am not very knowledgeable about the requirements for CIB - I was chilling out in Ranger School when Grenada went down.
Old 28 November 2004, 03:13
BTDT

90MM, I do believe you are correct about Bishop being the third man in the pic. I think him being the youngest Ranger was the criteria for being in the "ceremony".
Old 28 November 2004, 03:44
Life is simple, not easy.

Lebron James and Peyton Manning will get more credit than any Ranger.

Just not in my book. You men are not only amazing but the only example of what is right with America.

What is the average age - 19-25. I don't know for sure. What I have read from Magician's blog and from everyone here on Socnet is that the very best America has to offer is not in Div I football but in the 75th Ranger Regiment.

Thank you gentlemen.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 28 November 2004, 04:11
BTDT

Very interesting thread.

Does anyone know how many BTRs were on the Island? I have heard of them making contact with the SEALs at the Governors mansion, and with Magician and while in Battalion, I heard that SGT Bazemore knocked at least one out with a 90. Is this later incident the same as Magic's? Were both 1st and 2nd Batt on the same OBJ?
Old 28 November 2004, 11:28
Gunny = god

BTR's and Stuff

Quote:
Does anyone know how many BTRs were on the Island? I have heard of them making contact with the SEALs at the Governors mansion, and with Magician and while in Battalion, I heard that SGT Bazemore knocked at least one out with a 90. Is this later incident the same as Magic's? Were both 1st and 2nd Batt on the same OBJ?
As far as how many where on the island, I believe the final tally was eight, four in the Salines area, two up near St. George's (at the Governor-General's House), one at the Grenada Radio Transmitter (attacking the SEAL's whose mission it was to disable the transmitter) and one captured intact (I believe it was at Frequente, the big Cuban/Grenadian arms depot northeast of Salines).

As for the scrums. Spectre took out the one's at the GG House cause the SEAL's had no AT with them.

The BTR shootex at Salines...well it's a combo affair. Both Battalions, plus the AF will tell you that there guys knocked out all three that attacked as the Rangers were stepping off.
Problem is, it doesn't play out that way after talking to 50 or so participants.

It looks like this:
1) BTR's start there movement towards the airfield in an attempt to capture the eastern portion and prevent more landings. The BTR task force is led by a Cuban officer but is a mixed force of Cubans and Grenadian troops.
2) The BTR's hit the tripwire; an LP/OP manned by the recon squad of 2nd Platoon, A Company, 1/75. The PL, LT Sydney Farrar, moves his men up and engages with a LAW rocket, he is hit three times by return fire for his efforts. The recovery of the recon squad is a seperate thread itself. rgrgordo can add more, he was there.
3) While moving to engage the BTR's, LT Farrar notified the A Company CO, CPT Abizaid, that he had three BTR's approaching his position at a high rate of speed. Two surge forward, out pacing the third BTR. I believe that the third was the one hit by LT Farrar's LAW shot.
4) Elements of A Company, 1/75 and A Company, 2/75 were in the closest positions to the roadway that the BTR's attempt to enter the airfield. With Farrar's notification to Abizaid, he is able to begin deploying his troops in a hasty ambush along the small embankments that line the roadway. Coupled with the opening shots of the BTR's, Abizaid's call to Bn. alerts the other Ranger units in the area that there is a mech counter-attack occuring.
5) Rangers along the eastern end of the runway, quickly assume firing positions and begin pouring fire with any weapon handy, at the hapless BTR's. SGT Bazemore and SP4 Pickering both launch 90mm rounds at the BTR's. SGT Bazmore hits the first BTR in the rear quadrant (photographic evidence suggests from the angle of impact, the shot came from the left flank, which was approx. where Bazemore was setup). Pickerings first shot skips along the roof of the first BTR and impacts the turret of the second.
6) As these opening rounds tear into the vehicles, the first BTR attempts to backup and out of the kill zone. The second is unaware that the first is doing this. The first runs into the second. Both Bazemore and Pickering have been reloaded and fire again. Bazemore hits the second in the bow and Pickering hits the same place on the first.
7) The crew of the third BTR can see what is happening to the first two APC's, they do not attempt to reinforce the other two or affect a rescue of the crews. They run and are destroyed in turn by the AC130 that has arrived on seen. Guided by TSgt Robert "Scotty" Scott, the USAF ALO for A Company, 1/75, the Spectre catches the third BTR with a 105mm shell that flips the BTR on it's side. All inside are killed, including I believe, the Cuban TF commander.
8) While the Spectre destroys the third BTR, the Rangers continue to pour fire at the now immobilized BTR's (with 2nd Batt. SGM James "RV" Voyles extolling his Rangers to shoot out the tires). The crewman attempt to escape the vehicles and are cutdown by a variety of small arms. Many Rangers recall a gangly crewmember getting caught up in the starboard hatch of the first BTR. He struggled to escape until a Ranger M60 team ended his efforts.
End result: one kill for Bazemore, one for Pickering, one for TSgt Scott/USAF.
There many Rangers on this board who can attest to this fight. Guys like oldrgr and magician, witnessed it go down.
If there are any inaccuricies, please let me know.
S/F
Mooch

Last edited by GySgtMooch; 28 November 2004 at 13:40.
Old 28 November 2004, 13:47
Been There Done That

One BTR was captured intact up in the hills... my platoon came across the BTR on a night movement... dont recall what day it was... same night that old fart attacked us with a machete screeming Cubanos...poor guy got buttstroked... he knew about the BTR and some Cubans that had unassed the BTR running in the hills... got a full map... I may be able to pick out the area... but my recall sucks...

JP
I heard a Green Beret say once to a man that failed a highly demanding school, "It is still the individual effort, the ability to take one more step, and to understand that the pain of finishing is more intense, but finite, however the pain of quitting is unbearable..... and eternal.

Our new posting rules