Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 28 November 2004, 13:54
Gunny = god

4th Salines BTR

JP,
That would be the fourth BTR in the Salines area. The 8th and final BTR (4x in Salines area, 2x at Governor-General's House, 1x at Grenada Radio Transmitter Station) is unaccounted for (at least by me!) unless it was at Frequente or anybody else knows where it may have resided before being packed up and sent back to the States.
S/F
Mooch
PS Did it look something like this?
Old 28 November 2004, 14:11
Been There Done That

Mooch,

Sounds pretty accurate to me(CRS and all). I seem to remeber a pause as the BTR's got to the top of the hill. They just stopped as we all looked at each other. I also remeber thinking, thank god they didn't have balls, cause we'd have been hard put to stop them if they'd kept coming. They stopped in the only clear field of fire we had. The road dropped off and I'm thinking there was some palm trees down there. IF I remember correctly LT Farrar was out looking for Clines gun jeep, and had good fire fight going on with BTR's for awhile.

Joe2
Old 28 November 2004, 14:19
Been There Done That

Re: 4th Salines BTR

Quote:
Originally posted by SSgtMooch
JP,
That would be the fourth BTR in the Salines area. The 8th and final BTR (4x in Salines area, 2x at Governor-General's House, 1x at Grenada Radio Transmitter Station) is unaccounted for (at least by me!) unless it was at Frequente or anybody else knows where it may have resided before being packed up and sent back to the States.
S/F
Mooch
PS Did it look something like this?
It was a pretty good distance from Salinas.. well maybe not that far since it was a small island... We found it at the end of a caved in roadway near the end near the top of one of the hills... that could be it when it was being brought down from where we found it...

JP
I heard a Green Beret say once to a man that failed a highly demanding school, "It is still the individual effort, the ability to take one more step, and to understand that the pain of finishing is more intense, but finite, however the pain of quitting is unbearable..... and eternal.
Old 29 November 2004, 07:05
Whatever Sucks the Most

goddamn, Joe.

I cannot even talk right now.

I feel like you kicked me in the gut.

Good writing, brother.

Good synthesis.

Let me get my...shit together. I will come back to this thread....later.

Your book is going to kick some fucking ass.
Old 29 November 2004, 18:45
Gunny = god

Update

M.
Like I said brother, I just want to get it right.

Here's an updated version incorporating the suggestions that I've received. Much of what is written here is taken directly from my book and research.
S/F
Mooch

1) BTR's start their movement towards the airfield in an attempt to capture the eastern portion and prevent more landings. The BTR task force is led by a Cuban officer but is a mixed force of Cubans and Grenadian troops.
2) The BTR's hit the tripwire; a patrol manned by the recon squad of 2nd Platoon, A Company, 1/75. The recon element was attempting to locate Juliet 5, SGT Randy Cline's gun jeep and crew, but inadvertantly foiled the surprise attack by the BTR task force.
The PL, LT Sydney Farrar, moved his men up (Farrar, Kelly Vendon, Doc Johnny Bowen and Gordo) and he and Gordo engaged with LAW rockets. The dismounts exited the BTR and began firing at the recon squad. Farrar was hit three times by the return fire for his efforts. The recovery of the recon squad is a seperate thread itself. The rest of the recon squad continued to engage with small arms as Cpl Tony Nunley advanced up to the foward fire team to assist with the evac of Farrar. Vendon advanced to Farrar and hauled him out of the kill zone, while Bowen and Gordo provided covering fire. Nunley, Vendon and Gordo took turns evac'ing Farrar while Bowen rendered first aid. rgrgordo can add more, he was there.
3) While moving to engage the BTR's, LT Farrar notified the A Company CO, CPT Abizaid, that he had three BTR's approaching his position at a high rate of speed. Two surge forward, out pacing the third BTR. The third BTR had been hit by LT Farrar's and Gordo's LAW shots.
4) Elements of A Company, 1/75 and A Company, 2/75 were in the closest positions to the roadway that the BTR's attempt to enter the airfield. With Farrar's notification to Abizaid, he was able to begin deploying his troops in a hasty ambush along the small embankments that line the roadway. Coupled with the opening shots of the BTR's, Abizaid's call to Bn. alerted the other Ranger units in the area that there is a mech counter-attack occuring.
5) There is a pregnant pause as the BTR's hit the crest of the road looking down onto the airfield and the Rangers as they move towards their positions. Instead of launching into the attack and catching the Rangers in the open, the BTR's halt their movement. The BTR's hesitate...the Rangers don't.
6) Rangers along the eastern end of the runway, quickly assume firing positions and begin pouring fire with any weapon handy, at the hapless BTR's. The crescendo of small arms fire from the Rangers M16A1's, CAR-15's, MP-5SD's and M60's was defeaning, but that malestrom of noise was suddenly overshadowed by the heavy crump of both Ranger Battalion's M67 recoilless rifles.
SGT Bazemore and SP4 Pickering both launch 90mm rounds at the BTR's. SGT Bazmore hit the first BTR in the rear quadrant (photographic evidence suggests from the angle of impact, the shot came from the left flank, which was approx. where Bazemore was setup). Pickerings first shot skips along the roof of the first BTR and impacts the turret of the second. A number of Rangers report having had their helmet covers torn from their steel pots due to their close proximity to the recoilless rifles.
7) As these opening rounds tear into the vehicles, the first BTR attempts to backup and out of the kill zone. The second is unaware that the first is doing this. The first runs into the second. Both Bazemore and Pickering have been reloaded and fire again. Bazemore hits the second in the bow and Pickering hits the same place on the first.
8) The crew of the third BTR must have seen what had happened to the first two APC's, or at least had an idea. Those left alive from the hasty ambush of the recon squad, do not attempt to reinforce the other two or affect a rescue of the crews. They run and are destroyed in turn by the AC130 that has arrived on seen. Guided by TSgt Robert "Scotty" Scott, the USAF ALO for A Company, 1/75, the Spectre caught the third BTR with a 105mm shell that flipped the BTR on it's side. All inside are killed, including I believe, the Cuban TF commander.
9) While the Spectre destroyed the third BTR, the Rangers continued to pour fire at the now immobilized BTR's, with 2nd Batt. CSM James "RV" Voyles extolling his Rangers to shoot out the tires to insure they don't escape the already potent kill zone. The crewman attempted to escape the vehicles and were cutdown by a variety of small arms. Many Rangers recalled a gangly crewmember getting caught up in the starboard hatch of the first BTR. He struggled to escape until a Ranger M60 team ended his efforts.
End result: one kill for Bazemore, one for Pickering, one for TSgt Scott/USAF.
Old 30 November 2004, 02:45
Whatever Sucks the Most

nice.

I thought the last BTR-60 was hit by 40mm Bofors...not by a 105mm.

It was a long time ago. I could be wrong.

Also...that Cuban guy...I think he fell out the port side...the left-hand side...not the right side.

Hell...at this point...anything is possible.

The mind plays amazing tricks with this stuff. Some things are like a movie loop.....recorded for posterity with precision...others are edited...cut and pasted.....and you never know why.

Sure would like to read about the recovery of the recon squad, brother.
Old 2 December 2004, 21:03
Gunny = god

Stuff

M.
I took into account what you wrote and amended the chapter I'm writing nowon the BTR fight.

Guys,
Here's a shot of a 2nd Batt Ranger with captured weapons at Salines. If anyone on the board was involved with the action that netted these weapons or can explain where this occured (I know it's hard because you can't see shit in the pic) I would greatly appreciate it. Hit me with PM's if you want it off the open board. Also, Magician has given me some info on the vest the Ranger was wearing (issued to the Battalion Recon element). If anyone else can expand upon that I'd greatly appreciate it.
S/F
Mooch
Old 2 December 2004, 21:13
Gunny = god

More

Another shot of the Ranger(s) in question.
S/F
Mooch
Old 2 December 2004, 21:19
Gunny = god

More

Another Ranger with prisoners at Salines. Unsure whether this is 1st Batt or 2nd.
S/F
Mooch
Old 2 December 2004, 21:21
Gunny = god

2nd Batt Medics

Last one. 2nd Batt Medics.
L to R:
Denny Watkins, Bruce Johnson and Kevin Lannon.
Lannon was killed during the Calivigny insert.
RIP Ranger.
S/F
Mooch
Old 3 December 2004, 06:41
Whatever Sucks the Most

Joe...the guy in the vest....I knew him. His name escapes me at the moment...but it will come back to me.

You may want to run that pic past Hazen. Hazen knew him, for sure, as did Czar and Hicks, I am sure.

Hell, both those guys will probably remember more about those vests.

Reid? I think his name was John Reid.

Jim Hutton just sent me some great shots....a couple from the Yakima HALO deployment just before Urgent Fury, a couple from a Panama deployment in November, 1982....this one was famous for a death march that took place....a few others. I will post a selection next week.

It is already Friday here in the Magic Kingdom, and I am smoked. I just want to go home, sit on my balcony, and chill.

I will check in with you guys next week.

Be good (but not too good).

:)
Old 3 December 2004, 14:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally posted by magician
Joe...the guy in the vest....I knew him. His name escapes me at the moment...but it will come back to me.
Same picture, the other guy spent a couple years in 1st Batt and then went to 2nd. I knew him but can't remember his name to save my ass

Rules of the Regt
If it makes sense....don't do it
If it tastes good.....spit it out
If you think you're going the right way........turn around
This place sucks.....let's live here
Old 20 December 2004, 22:53

Great photo's Mooch, Thanks for putting them up there.
Old 21 December 2004, 00:46
Been There Done That

Re: For Dave

Quote:
Dave,
You didn't answer the question regarding the picture.
Who's that Ranger striding towards the camera?
It's 3rd Platoon, B/1/75's sector on Salines.
You can't see it in that pic but there's an American flag just to the Rangers left.
S/F
Mooch
Shit, danged if I know, I don'tremember any of us keeping our steel pots after the jump. I can't tell what his wpn is, if it's a M-21...it's me but I sure don't remember having my pot on

Rules of the Regt
If it makes sense....don't do it
If it tastes good.....spit it out
If you think you're going the right way........turn around
This place sucks.....let's live here
Old 21 December 2004, 02:07
Whatever Sucks the Most

damn.

you guys ditched your steel pots?

I hated mine. I lost it during the jump, and that suited me just fine. Freakin' Dana Foley FINDS it on the runway, (what are the odds) and MAKES me wear it. I was pissed.

It is interesting....some guys wanted to wear armor, helmets, all that stuff.

Somehow, I grew up feeling differently. I would rather be able to get down low to the ground, dig in, wiggle around, get behind cover. And above all, I prefer to be able to haul ass and MOVE, and wearing all that shit just slows you down.

I never wore body armor in Baghdad, either. The way that I saw it, you never saw Hadji wearing it. I made it a point to look like Hadji.

Cracks me up. Freakin' snipers ditching their helmets.

Awesome.

:)
Old 21 December 2004, 03:11
BTDT

Re: Stuff

Quote:
M.
I took into account what you wrote and amended the chapter I'm writing nowon the BTR fight.

Guys,
Here's a shot of a 2nd Batt Ranger with captured weapons at Salines. If anyone on the board was involved with the action that netted these weapons or can explain where this occured (I know it's hard because you can't see shit in the pic) I would greatly appreciate it. Hit me with PM's if you want it off the open board. Also, Magician has given me some info on the vest the Ranger was wearing (issued to the Battalion Recon element). If anyone else can expand upon that I'd greatly appreciate it.
S/F
Mooch
Here is some background:

On the left is SGT Dean Richardson.

On the right is SGT Mike Jensen.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

...Max-T

Last edited by Combat Jump; 22 December 2004 at 16:36.
Old 21 December 2004, 04:03
Whatever Sucks the Most

damn, Kurt....I remember Dean's name....but the face in the pic does not correspond with the face in memory.

I was almost certain that the other guy was named John Reid.

Now we really need to get Czar over here, and Hicks. I know that they know that guy.

One other note: Mooch, the medic on the far left is named Denny Willkins. Not Watkins.

If memory serves....he was a C Co medic...he worked for Phil Moon...they both came from Alaska. Wilkins was not tabbed. Moon was.

Cwilichoski was the other medic in C Co....he got cancer, he beat it, but I do not remember if he went to Urgent Fury. I think that he missed it, for some reason.

Oh, yeah. He was at MedLab with Lannon. Lannon went AWOL and hitchhiked down to the ISB at Hunter. 'Ski stayed in the barracks at Bragg.

And the rest, as the saying goes, is history.
Old 21 December 2004, 06:34
Gunny = god

Digest

Guys,
It'll take me some time to take this in for comment cause I've got to head to work but a quick one for Dave. The Ranger walking towards the camera is Onley Rogers.
S/F
Mooch
Old 21 December 2004, 16:06

Quote:
Originally posted by magician
damn, Kurt....I remember Dean's name....but the face in the pic does not correspond with the face in memory.

I was almost certain that the other guy was named John Reid.

Now we really need to get Czar over here, and Hicks. I know that they know that guy.

One other note: Mooch, the medic on the far left is named Denny Willkins. Not Watkins.

If memory serves....he was a C Co medic...he worked for Phil Moon...they both came from Alaska. Wilkins was not tabbed. Moon was.

Cwilichoski was the other medic in C Co....he got cancer, he beat it, but I do not remember if he went to Urgent Fury. I think that he missed it, for some reason.

Oh, yeah. He was at MedLab with Lannon. Lannon went AWOL and hitchhiked down to the ISB at Hunter. 'Ski stayed in the barracks at Bragg.

And the rest, as the saying goes, is history.
Stevo, You're right it was Wilkins not Watkins. Denny later hooked up with Moon's wife and he got sent or chose to go down the road (she went with him as I recall) cause there was so much fallout.
Old 21 December 2004, 16:33
Whatever Sucks the Most

I remember, brother.

In fact, I remember that whole scandal.

The stories that I could tell you about Dona.

She was blonde, kind of slutty looking ( thought), and she definitely behaved like a slut.

Anyway.

Good to see you here, bro.

s.
-

Our new posting rules