Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 22 December 2004, 19:25
Gunny = god

Good Stuff

Well I was rooting around the net and found a shitpot full of new Grenada pics. I'll post some here that have relevance.
S/F
Mooch

Ranger Bike Teams at Point Salines. Due to quality I can't tell if they are 1st or 2nd Batt.
Old 22 December 2004, 19:27
Gunny = god

Another BTR Shot

BTR

Can one of the 90mm guys tell me if that hole just below the left side hatch is from a 90mm HEAT round?
Old 22 December 2004, 19:28
Gunny = god

Calivigny

Calivigny getting plastered.
Old 22 December 2004, 19:30
Gunny = god

Cuban Camp

This is the old (small) Cuban Camp. Later used as a POW collection point.
Old 23 December 2004, 02:21
Whatever Sucks the Most

the one visible scroll in that bike team pic looks scrunchy to me.

good work, my brother.

:)
Old 23 December 2004, 08:25
BTDT

The Ranger with the scroll also has a flashlight, so I vote 1st Bn.....2nd Bn wasn't afraid of the dark
Old 23 December 2004, 12:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally posted by gerryeric
The Ranger with the scroll also has a flashlight, so I vote 1st Bn.....2nd Bn wasn't afraid of the dark
Anyone want to take bets on whether he was an officer or not? :D
‎"There is no such thing as an "Ex" Ranger. We may get old, and we may be broken, but a Ranger is of the Heart. As long as the heart continues to beat, the Ranger continues to dwell inside"! CSM (R) Joe Mattison.....
Old 23 December 2004, 17:24
Been There Done That

The guy with no camo looks like an A1/75 I know but it’s too blurred.
Old 24 December 2004, 18:45
Been There Done That

Re: Good Stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by SSgtMooch
Well I was rooting around the net and found a shitpot full of new Grenada pics. I'll post some here that have relevance.
S/F
Mooch

Ranger Bike Teams at Point Salines. Due to quality I can't tell if they are 1st or 2nd Batt.
Weren't those Yamaha TT500s?

Quitting is worse than dying. You have to live with being a quitter.
Old 24 December 2004, 20:32
Administrator

Re: Re: Good Stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by JTF Ranger
Weren't those Yamaha TT500s?

Not sure what you guys had back then, but mine was a 4-stroke Honda XR250 IIRC.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 24 December 2004, 22:02
Been There Done That

Re: Re: Re: Good Stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharky
Not sure what you guys had back then,
Honda CR250R. With rocket launchers on the front.
Old 24 December 2004, 23:06
Been There Done That

Joe,

Sorry I haven't been monitoring this net for a long time. I need to get back into it. I'd like to make a slight correction to your relating of the BTR incident from my side.

I was in 2d squad A Co 175. We'd been sent out two times that day to try to locate our JT from 3d plt that got whacked. The time the BTR's hit us, we were out for the second time that afternoon. It was approximately 1430. We had moved about 1500 meters forward of the airhead down a valley and upa hill to a house overlooking a drive-in theater I believe (w/o looking at a map) north and slightly east of the AF approximately 2.5K. Just as we finished clearing this house and taking up overwatch positions, we were looking NE to see if we could get a bead on the JT at the intersection. We saw the jeep with it's nose pointing generally towards us at the intersection but couldn't ID the team...it was still approximately 1K away from us. My PL Lt Farrar, made the call to seperate the sqd--we didn't have our gun with us (our gunner was Mark Yamane--he was the first Ranger killed that morning)--and leave one team in overwatch and send B tm down the hill to recon for the jeep. Right about then when he was looking towards the theater is when he spotted the BTR's. He immediately grabbed the MX 360 and started calling back to Abizaid...he sent " I have three Bravo Tango Romeo Sixites moving towards me over..." I'm not sure if he got a call back--I was in the prone right next to him but I don't remember the traffic. At that moment he started deploying our squad for an engagement. He deployed me forward of the sqaud, about 15 meters, with my LAW, while Venden and him moved down the hill slightly in front of us with two more LAWS, one each. They were down behind a slight rise of the ground while he positioned me behind a small stone wall. The rest of the squad was above us about 15-25 meters deployed on line on the porch of the house. As the BTR's rounded the intersection near the remains of our JT, we all extended our LAWS. This gave us about 1 minute to get a good bead on where we were going to shoot--scout out our kill zone. Nobody said anything...we just knew what we had to do. I lost sight of the BTR's as they rounded the corner and were hidden by the grove of trees about 400 meters down from the intersection. At that moment, Farrar said he would take the lead BTR, Vendon the second and me the trail. He said our initiation would be his shot. About 1 minute after that we could hear them loud and clear--we would each have about, I calculated, a 5-7 second sight of the BTR's to get our LAWS off. That's when they appeared, Farrar waited until all three where abreast of us approximately 75-100 meters to our front. He fired and went hi, Vendon and I fired immediately after him/simutaneously. At that moment, the rest of the squad opened up with the two M203's and there M16A1's. The BTR's also opened up with their main guns. Vendon hit the front right just above the driver, mine hit right at the front of the turret under the gun but seemed to glance off and head into the bush...The second BTR--the one Vendon hit, seemed to slow down and drift right but then I lost sight of it as the other two seemed to gain speed and move around the other side of the hill we were on. At that moment, Farrar thought they might be rounding the hill and thought that since they now had a good idea we were there, were going to come around the back side of the hill and hit us from behind (actually the front of the house). So he redployed me to the front of the house and told me to pull security with Foxworth our squad RTO. That is when the BTR's moved toward the AF and the battle with the rest of 1 and 2/75 ensued. We were on the other side of that hill catching all of the stray rounds and the deflected 90mm bullets. It was after that fight that one of the BTR's got away from the BN free for all and Specter got him--he was moving back towards us down the same road they had come before. However, when we thought that the threat had been reduced and the BTR's destroyed, Farrar got the complete the mission call and he, Vendon, Doc Bowen and me headed down the hill to find our JT. It was then, as we were moving to that location through the jungle that we made contact, by way of a near ambush which the Cubans initiated (12 Cubans from the BTR's had survived and regrouped and waited for us). That was when Farrar was hit in the left arm (bullet broke his humerous) and twice through the chest giving him a tension pneumothorax...that's when our little fire fight started--trying to recover Farrar and break contact--this was when the closet CAS in Naval Aviation History was called into get us out...but that's another loooonnnngggg story...sorry for the exceptionally long post...Merry Christmas all you fellow raiders!!!
Old 25 December 2004, 04:08
Whatever Sucks the Most

goddamn, Gordo.

do not make us wait.

tell the story, Ranger!

great job, brother.

:)
Old 25 December 2004, 10:24
Been There Done That

I'll try to post this story over the coming days...it's a long one and I don't want to bore too many folks with all the intracacies so I'll try to keep it a short as possible. However, it suffices to say we won that firefight--it really wasn't a little one; it lasted about 2 hours with three of us left and one badly wounded LT--with a little help from some A-6's and a Specter gunship and LT Farrar is alive and well today because of the brave exploits of then SP/4 Kelly Vendon...
Old 25 December 2004, 14:30
Administrator

Thumbs up

Welcome home Gordo.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 25 December 2004, 15:13
Gunny = god

Smile

Gordo,
Good to hear from you again brother! I was wondering when you'd show back up. Hope everything is good. Drop me a line whenever. I still recall that I owe you a beer or two. Have a very Happy Holiday Season, New Year and all that good stuff!
S/F
Mooch
Old 25 December 2004, 15:17
Gunny = god

Another Pic

Here's another good pic. The building in the foreground was hit when the Navy A-7's attempted to plaster the PRA HQ's. They hit a mental hospital by accident. Along the ridgeline to the center is Richmond Hill Prison.

Last edited by GySgtMooch; 25 December 2004 at 15:24.
Old 25 December 2004, 15:19
Gunny = god

BTR

Yet another shot of a smoked BTR.
Old 25 December 2004, 15:20
Gunny = god

Cobra

Snake over Salines.
Old 25 December 2004, 15:23
Gunny = god

Thumbs up

ADM Metcalf, JTF CO for Urgent Fury, congratulating 2nd Batt. Rangers for their outstanding work.

Our new posting rules