Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 25 December 2004, 15:55
Been There Done That

Joe,

I need to settle on those beers with you brother...maybe soon after the holidays--I work back in the compound at Belvoir so maybe can get toegther during the week...

Sharkey...thanks for the welcome home!!!
Old 26 December 2004, 05:13
Been There Done That

We should call Gordo the "human tape recorder". He remembers every little detail.
Old 26 December 2004, 14:19
BTDT

Re: Good Stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by SSgtMooch
Well I was rooting around the net and found a shitpot full of new Grenada pics. I'll post some here that have relevance.
S/F
Mooch

Ranger Bike Teams at Point Salines. Due to quality I can't tell if they are 1st or 2nd Batt.
I was a bike team leader in 2/75 at the time of Grenada... but we left all our bikes at the REMAB at Hunter. That means it is not a 2/75 bike in the photo. I think 1/75 brouth some bikes. I would say its 1st Bat in the shot.
Old 28 December 2004, 01:39
Whatever Sucks the Most

Gordo, brother, you need to tell the tale.

Keep in mind that we have not heard them, those of us from up in the Great Pacific Northwest.

You guys kicked some serious ass that day.

GOOD FUCKING JOB.

:)
Old 28 December 2004, 22:28
Been There Done That

I've got some time so I'll try to tell the tale and keep it short....

Just after the BTR's got stopped and the third one tried to escape and got whacked by Specter, we we're given the go code from higher to continue on with the mission. I was summoned by SGT Kraus my SL, as I was on the other side of the house waiting for the counter-attack from the BTR's that would never come. When I got back to the rear of the house and back on the porch, Kraus told me to grab Doc Bowen's aid back and to get a fresh mag in my gun (an XM177A1--Vietnam Era), I was going on the recon with Vendon, Farrar and Bowen to pin-point our JT and ascertain their status and location. While the remainder of 2d squad would stay on the porch of the house in overwatch--they could see the entire valley from there--Farrar, had us lined up in a Ranger File near the bottom of the hill in a little wooded spot about ten meters from a north-south running trail (looked like a drive way--it was paved).

Up at the house in overwatch would be SGT Kraus, Cpl Nunley, Cpl Lyle, PFC Welton, SPC Delo, and PFC Foxworth. On the patrol, Vendon was going to walk point, Farrar was behind him, Bowen was behind Farrar and I was walking slack with Bowen's aid bag. Farrar gave the go ahead signal and we started moving out. As we started out from the tree line to get across this road using "scroll to the road", we headed into the jungle on the other side of the road. When we got on the other side and into the wood line I saw that we were paralleling an east-west running road about 20 meters to our left. We would "handle bar" the road in the wood-line until we got to a point where we could see down where we were headed and then cross the danger area and get to the JT from the east side of the north-south road (on the bay side). We patrolled for about 200 meters in the wood-line and came to the intersection of the north-south/east-west road.

We halted and took a knee. The east-west road was on my left and I was facing at a 45 degree angle to the south and pulling security generally east and south, but I kept looking over my shoulder to see what Farrar and Vendon were doing. They were stopped on a knee looking up the road north towards where the JT would most likely be. Bowen was just in front of me about 5 meters behind a tree. I couldn't get a good bead on anything so I moved up on my knees toward a pile of something (looked like a large ant pile) to get both cover and a better field of view. As I was moving forward, I looked to my half right where the North-South road ran towards the airfield when about 20 meters away in the direction I was looking I saw a ZSU-23-2 that was just sitting there. It was then I remembered BTR number three (in trail) was towing something when they came blowing past us the first time.

I was trying to figure out what this gun was doing just sitting there, when this fella (a black dude) in Russian camo with the Soviet Bloc Helmet, a brown leather belt with a Gold Buckle and a Takarov in a leather holster, stood up to the right of the ZSU and about 15 meters from me with his AK-47 pointing down the road pointing north. I looked over my shoulder to my left to get Vendons attention, when I saw Farrar (he was hard to miss--a big 6-5 inch dude) was standing in the middle of the road with his weapon in the classic Ranger position of the day--forward portion of the mag well hinged against the mag pouch with the firing hand/arm drapped over it--looking north up the road (he had his back to the BG).

I then immediately spun back to my right to find BG shooting three quick rounds at Farrar (I caught Farrar getting hit out of the corner of my left eye--he dropped like a sack of shit). I then got my weapon up in time to squeeze off some rapid shots at the the BG and hit him COM and in the head where he dropped faster then you could blink--I couldn't miss this guy. That's what tripped the ambush. Everything opened up then. Our sqd in overwatch let loose with everything also about that time. It was a pretty target rich environment as I was able to see the BG's I was shooting very clearly. They were only between 10-20 meters from me and not very well hidden so they were hard to miss, plus I had a pretty good covered position which prevented me from being seen--it gave me the opportunity to take well aimed controlled shots.

I went through my thriteen mags pretty quick and although I had two extra bandoleers of I think back then they were 150 rounds apiece, it was hard to get those off and to reload my mags which were piled up all around me. Regardless, there were several lulls that allowed me to do so. I was able to reload 7 of my mags at one point pretty quickly. It was during that reload period that I heard the first A-6 make a fly-by. About 90 minutes of fighting had gone by by that time. The second A-6 came in immediatley after the first one even lower and louder...it was at that time that Vendon looked back at me and told me he was going after Farrar and for me to lay down a base of fire.

Doc Bowen at this point told me we were going to need some help from the squad in overwatch to move Farrar. He told me to move back to the base of the hill where we started from (200 meters back) and yell to Krauss to send some help. I moved back pretty quick. The only thing was, just as I stood up, that gave the BG's time to see me and they just started to shoot everything at me they could muster. At any rate, by the time I started back toward the patrol, the shooting had slowed way down. However, as I got closer, the shit started up again. I got back in time to have Vendon give me the high sign to cover him--I could see his mouth moving but I couldn't hear him because the rounds were so close and the shooting was so loud. However, I could tell what he was saying. Vendon then moved out in the open on the road and grabbed Farrar about ten meters from him--in the middle of the road.

I could see Vendon out of my periphery grabbing/dragging Farra and as much as I wanted to lunge out to help him, he was still about 20 meters from me, and I reasoned that if I stopped shooting to help, that would give the BG's the time needed for them to stick their heads up and see what we were doing and they would then be able to gain fire superiority. Regardless, Vendon was able to dragg Farrar back to the wood line while I made my way over to them once they were in the cover of the tree line to help get Farrar under cover. It was just at that time that Cpl Nunley made it down to us. He got to us and told us to get our heads down because the A-6's were on 30 second short final for their first set of gun and bombing runs. We needed to mark our position so I had a red smoke and Nunley had a VS-17 panel.

I threw out the red smoke and Nunley wrapped his VS-17 panel in another smoke and threw it out to mark our position. We marked our positions just as the first A-6 started his gun run about 20-30 meters in front of us. The A-6 made his run. All I remember was keeping my head down in the dirt and thinking that I wish I could pull my steel pot down around my ankles...a few seconds after that I looked up and saw them lining up for for another pass. I could see them off in the distance banking left towards us so I decided to keep my eyes on them while they lined up and hopefully watch as they released or shot--I didn't what they were going to do this time. I saw the first plane drop something which looked like it was coming straight for us but seemed to bank away from us and bounce over us and explode to our right and forward of us--it turned out later to be a 500 pounder. By the time the second one dropped it's load I had my head buried way into the ground and all I saw was blackness and felt like I was lifted up in the air and landed back on stomach (pretty much slammed back into the dirt).

When the smoke cleared and I looked and saw the sky, I knew I was alive. I heard the leaders (I was a E-1 so everyone was a leader to me) yelling to get moving and the LT back up the hill. We were able to take turns moving Farrar back up the hill just as 1st plt and some of our platoon guys (Eddie Payne, Sean Kelly and Doc Donovan) brought a jeep up to extract Farrar back to the airhead and off to the carrier. We then consolidated with the rest of first platoon and started to orient ourselves back toward where we came from and watch the A-6's make two or three other runs before we got the pull back to the airfield call. The move back was pretty much uneventful, although I was pretty pumped up from having been in a pretty hairy gun-fight...total awards given--Vendon (BS w/"V"Device), Bowen (BS w/"V" Device) and Farrar (ARCOM w/"V" Device and Purple Heart). Vendon's act was obviuosly singularly heroic in the most exacting defintion!!! I warned you all that this would be long so sorry for the long winded post...

(Paragraph breaks added randomly by Sharky to make for easier reading....nothing else was edited)
Old 28 December 2004, 23:47
Gunny = god

Check PM

Gordo,
Check your PM. I need to send you something and I don't have a good email for you. Hit me at ziggpalff1@aol.com with a response.
S/F
Mooch
Old 29 December 2004, 00:27
Been There Done That

Joe,

Check your PM...I just sent you two new e-mail addresses. The one you originally sent the stuff to doesn't work anymore...cheers...

Gordo
Old 29 December 2004, 00:32
Gunny = god

Thumbs up

Gordo,
Got it brother. Email inbound.
S/F
Joe
Old 29 December 2004, 11:47
Been There Done That

Sharkey...thanks for the para breaks. It does make for easier reading...
Old 29 December 2004, 23:28
Gunny = god

Time for Pics

Airstrikes impacting north of the airfield.
Old 29 December 2004, 23:30
Gunny = god

Arty

Good shot of 82nd Arty shelling Calivigny.
Old 29 December 2004, 23:31
Gunny = god

Helo

Nightstalker Little Bird evacing survivors from CPT Lucas' crash site to the USS Guam.
Old 29 December 2004, 23:34
Gunny = god

C Co, 1st Batt

ADM Metcalf thanking C Co, 1st Batt Rangers for a job well done. Too bad the bastard had to wait till a C-141 was flying over to do it!
Old 29 December 2004, 23:37
Gunny = god

A Co, 1st Batt

A Co, 1st Batt moving out past an 82nd gun jeep.
Old 29 December 2004, 23:42
Gunny = god

Cayton

The infamous 1SG Richard Cayton formerly of B Co, 1st Batt.
White House Ceremony with two rescued students.

Last edited by GySgtMooch; 29 December 2004 at 23:52.
Old 29 December 2004, 23:46
Gunny = god

1st Batt Rangers

Unidenitifed 1st Batt Rangers on Grenada. The Center one looks like Cayton and the one on the right is from C Co. Can anyone shed some light?
Old 29 December 2004, 23:49
Gunny = god

Calivigny

Calivigny after being flattened by Naval TAC Air and assaulted through by 2nd Batt.
Old 29 December 2004, 23:51
Gunny = god

Gun Jeep

2nd Batt gun jeep at Salines. Can anyone tell me who the guy in the back is? Student? CAG? CIA? Bueller?
Old 30 December 2004, 01:26
Been There Done That

Joe,

The pic where three fellas are standing near a hanger (the one where you think the center guy is Rick Cayton)is from left to right (looking toward the camara) 1SG Lonnie Miller--A Co 1/75 1SG, 1LT Donovan--our Company FSO and I can't tell you who the C Co fella is...hope that helps...
Old 30 December 2004, 03:56
Been There Done That

Ranger Gordo you really should post that story in the War Stories forum. It really does deserve it's own thread and there wouldn't be any need to keep it short. Great story!!
‎"There is no such thing as an "Ex" Ranger. We may get old, and we may be broken, but a Ranger is of the Heart. As long as the heart continues to beat, the Ranger continues to dwell inside"! CSM (R) Joe Mattison.....

Our new posting rules