Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 31 December 2004, 02:00
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by RangerWinnie
Ranger Gordo you really should post that story in the War Stories forum. It really does deserve it's own thread and there wouldn't be any need to keep it short. Great story!!

Good idea.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 1 January 2005, 00:42

The Magician

Rangers, Max-T, Mooch et all,
I just spoke with The Magician, he asked me to post this message. He is sorry for his absence on these boards. He's in Phuket and helping a family that he knows in locating a family member lost in the Tsunami.
Doc, sounded ok and says he's fine, just saddened by the disaster. He said he's just so busy with the relief effort that he can't find the time to touch base with you all but will do so as soon as possible.
I hope you all are well and I am (and Doc) wishing you a Happy New Year. Hutton63
Old 1 January 2005, 00:55
Been There Done That

Please pass on to Doc--I'm sure I feel safe that we all think this way--to please be safe and God Speed in finding his folks...Please pass on my--and I'm sure everyone elses--regards and that he's in our thoughts and prayers...

RLTW...
Gordo
Old 1 January 2005, 01:03

Quote:
Originally posted by rgrgordo
Please pass on to Doc--I'm sure I feel safe that we all think this way--to please be safe and God Speed in finding his folks...Please pass on my--and I'm sure everyone elses--regards and that he's in our thoughts and prayers...

RLTW...
Gordo
OK Ranger Gordo,
He said that we'd be surprized at all the people from the states showin up AND just how giving and hard working and heartfelt the Thai people are.
I'll ring him in about a week. I'm sure he knows that we're all thinking about him. RLTW...
Old 31 January 2005, 16:10
Gunny = god

RFI

2nd Batt guys,
I have a request. This picture is from a book called Leave No Man Behind. From what I've been told, this does not appear to be accurate. Can any of you guys shed some light? From what many of you guys told me, the landing positions just don't look right. Any info is appreciated.
S/F
Mooch
Old 31 January 2005, 23:46
Been There Done That

Re: Good Stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by SSgtMooch
Well I was rooting around the net and found a shitpot full of new Grenada pics. I'll post some here that have relevance.
S/F
Mooch

Ranger Bike Teams at Point Salines. Due to quality I can't tell if they are 1st or 2nd Batt.
Guy with no commo looks like Bco, 2nd Plt, 1/75, can't remember name tonight but it will come to me

Rules of the Regt
If it makes sense....don't do it
If it tastes good.....spit it out
If you think you're going the right way........turn around
This place sucks.....let's live here
Old 31 January 2005, 23:56
BTDT

It's close. C Co (me) secured the building and got the students out. Not sure where the other companies were. The PZ is right. My CH-46 was left in the surft to the bottom left of the picture, actually further down the beach and would not have been visible in this shot. As for the E&E route, they moved toward the bottom left along the beach in this picture which would have been south west, to the downed CH-46 to get two rafts from it (one held air), then made their way out to sea.
Old 1 February 2005, 00:38
Whatever Sucks the Most

it looks funny to me, too....

we were inserted in the wrong place, and had to run a ways up the beach to our blocking positions.

but then, it could be correct.

It was a long, long time ago.....it was very hot, and Murphy was out walking around that day.

I will give it some thought.
Old 1 February 2005, 12:19

I think the LZ was further to the left in the picture, I was working the back ramp of a 46 . My memory is nothing like you guys'. The 46 on the beach was to my right as I looked at the beach. I do recall hearing that we dropped them off in the wrong place. The buildings seem closer in the picture.

There is a picture in my "cruise book", kind of a year book I guess, that has a picture of a 53 coming out of the LZ.

The Cobra in the pictue was one of the replacements for the two that got shot down. Our acft were numbered, 00-12 for the 46's, 21-24 for the 53's, 31-34 for the cobras and 40&41 for the Hueys. 35 and 36 were the new cobras. We painted the numbers on 35/36 on the way to Beirut. 32 and 34 were the ones that were lost. Can't remember the actual # though. 31 was mine, "the Reaper", 33 was Tony Pena's, "el Tigre", its number was 160757.

Well, I guess I do remember something! Hey Mooch, I only have the one copy of my cruise book, but would you want to borrow it? Its got a bunch of pictures and the names of all the Marine aviation guys.
Old 2 February 2005, 23:53
Gunny = god

Thanks

Dave,
Thanks for looking at that. I hope the Rangers name comes to you. BTW, that "sniper" we spoke about contacted me tonight.

Kurt,
Thanks for the input. As always your recollections are appreciated. Let me know when you'll be in my AO. I owe you a beer or two.

M,
It looked wonky that's why I put the pic up for you guys to look over. Let me know when you get a chance to look that stuff over I sent you.

Bob,
Thanks for your accurate memories. If you're willing to part with your float book for a week, I'd be in your debt. I'll cover your expenses if you like.

Thanks to all again,
S/F
Mooch
Old 3 February 2005, 03:05
Whatever Sucks the Most

Joe, shot out.

s.
-
Old 22 July 2017, 12:49

Although these comments were made in 2004, I am hoping someone can direct me to the picture of Bruce Johnson. He was my brother, died in 2005 of pancreatic cancer. I've lived outside the states for 20 years and don't have many photos of him from Grenada through the time he died. I would so appreciate knowing how to get the photo. Thanx, Kathleen
Old 22 July 2017, 13:47
BTDT

Kathleen- good luck in your search. Please follow the instructions and post an introduction as directed
Old 27 July 2017, 18:36
Gunny = god

Kathleen,
PM sent.
R/
Joe
Old 28 July 2017, 22:57
Been There Done That

Kathleen, Bruce was a good man.

Our new posting rules