SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 15 September 2018, 09:54
Confirmed User

The Governor booted the local gas supplier, Columbia Gas, from working on the problem and put Eversource in charge of the matter. Columbia's response has been less than adequate apparently.

The theory being floated is a check valve. If it were one line somewhere it would have been isolated to one house, or street, instead three cities/towns.

NTSB is the lead investigative agency as gas being transported through these lines puts it under them. Who knew?

Mass State Police and the Essex County District Attorney's office are the lead criminal investigation agency at this time due to the one death (a chimney from an exploded house fell on a car killing the occupant). The FBI (and I hear ATF) are kicking around but they will likely not do anything unless it becomes a terrorism thing (which it does not appear to be at tis time).

There is still no electricity in most of the three affected communities. There are cops from all over eastern Massachusetts manning intersections and doing looting patrols (Lawrence, for those that don't know, is one of the biggest shit holes in New England).

There are teams of FF, cops, utility workers, and locksmiths, going house to house looking for people (doesn't sound like anyone is missing but just in case), and ensuring gas is turned off at the meter. It sounds like they want all meters shut down before they try to "re-gas" the lines.

ETA: Lawrence is one of the largest heroin distribution points in New England (If not the largest). I heard the drug guys are keeping their ears open for rips on these houses (for drugs and cash).

Last edited by Macka; 15 September 2018 at 10:20.
Old 15 September 2018, 11:00
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
ETA: Lawrence is one of the largest heroin distribution points in New England (If not the largest). I heard the drug guys are keeping their ears open for rips on these houses (for drugs and cash).
Ha, can't be overstated. Being from Lawrence is damn near probable cause if you're on a highway.

There are probably a lot of desperate junkies right now.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 15 September 2018, 11:07
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post

There are probably a lot of desperate junkies right now.
Yeah there is, Holyoke will pick up the slack though. A friend was booking a dude that was already bitching about driving to Holyoke lol.
Old 15 September 2018, 12:20
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Yeah there is, Holyoke will pick up the slack though. A friend was booking a dude that was already bitching about driving to Holyoke lol.
Lawrence is considered a source city. In my professional opinion it is "the" source city, and not just drugs, but all types of crimes. They have high end commercial B&E crews associated with the gangs up there. I was just involved in a case where there were over 150 indictments for guys doing ATM and other thefts.
Old 15 September 2018, 14:51
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
Lawrence is considered a source city. In my professional opinion it is "the" source city, and not just drugs, but all types of crimes. They have high end commercial B&E crews associated with the gangs up there. I was just involved in a case where there were over 150 indictments for guys doing ATM and other thefts.
Well, they had one... that must have been a hell of an investigation. I'm sure they hit around here. If there's ever a seminar on that investigation please let me know.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

Old 15 September 2018, 16:46
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Well, they had one... that must have been a hell of an investigation. I'm sure they hit around here. If there's ever a seminar on that investigation please let me know.
Couldn't pin it on all of them. Bottom line in our area is if you have a commercial burg think Lawrence first, then Lynn. It's been that way my whole career.

On topic: We're sending more guys tonight and all day tomorrow to man intersections. They found leaks and done;t want to turn on the power for fear of curing more blasts.

Buddy up there said the people in Lawrence were generally happy someone was helping. He also said the people in the wealthy neighboring towns of Andover and North Andover were douche's.
Old 15 September 2018, 19:14
Policeman Officer

I can see that. Sense of entitlement and all that.

Our new posting rules