SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > History

Old 14 September 2018, 08:15
Confirmed User

My dad found a photo of his great uncle from the 1920s and he is the spitting image of my brother. That was crazy.

My wife had an “oh shit” moment with ancestry.com. Her brother does a lot of research and a couple of years ago a woman popped up on there that was supposedly their half sister, having the same father. The problem is their parents have been married 65 years. They were able to look up who the mother is and she was about 20 years younger than their father. She lived about 200 miles away, so they weren’t able to figure out how they would have met. They haven’t heard from the woman and decided not to ask their dad about it.
Old 14 September 2018, 09:15
Confirmed User

Ancestry had a DNA match to my step daughter. The girl who matched my step daughters DNA looked just like my step daughters biological father. Sad, he was such a fucktard, even got the neighbor girl pregnant after my he had got his wife at the time pregnant. Young and stupid. I am not going to tell me daughter what she can and cant do, but she is 18 and saw the girls picture. She is , imho, a half sister for sure, as the girl lived one state away.
Some dudes are just assholes and have no idea how screwed up their kids lives are when they go around and have kids with other women while married.
Old 14 September 2018, 14:22
Confronting the Reckoning

I had an unusual experience overhearing a conversation several years ago--a woman explained to her two girlfriends that over the past week or so they had hosted a recently discovered sibling who had grown up in England. The woman's father had been in the USAF, and if I remember it correctly had either been newly married to a U.S. woman or had married a young woman there. There was a pregnancy, but for financial reasons they decided that they could not keep the child, and put him up for adoption in the UK. They had four children later in life, but the mother had always wondered what had happened to her earlier son.

Out of the blue (at the time this story occurred, something like a few months earlier) the now grown-up young man was able to discover through Ancestry or something similar who his birth parents were, and reached out to the siblings (the woman telling the story). They were able to determine that (a) the guy wasn't trouble, and (b) the parents would be okay with a reunion. So the week before she had spent getting to know her previously unknown brother as they hosted him in the U.S.

Without the Internet and genealogy websites...people would just disappear.
Old 14 September 2018, 15:08
Been There Done That

I'm always getting e mails from Ancestory about their services. 23 & me seems popular.

Here are a few more that maybe a little more accurate regarding specific areas within a country where you may have originated.

https://geneticsdigest.com/best_ance...xoCNmMQAvD_BwE

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 14 September 2018, 16:13
Authorized Personnel

So my family history pretty much gets lost with my great, great, great, great, great grandfather, who came over from Ireland where he was born in 1737.

I did learn my great great grandfather was in the Civil War and walked home from Texas to Florida after the war was over.

I'm now going into my maiden grandmother's family history to see what's there, but it seems on both sides we were all just farmers or whatnot here.

There's a cool very detailed history of my fmily name I found online, tracing its origins in Ireland back to Italy of all places, Fitzgeralds, Geralds, whatnot all came out of my family. That was cool but it's so far removed it is meaningless.
Old 17 September 2018, 00:13
Confirmed User

I worked with a guy a few years ago who possessed the original deed to his family farm. It was 40 acres granted to his great, great, great, great, great, great, granddaddy for completing his full tour of duty in the Continental Army.
Old 17 September 2018, 14:48
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
I worked with a guy a few years ago who possessed the original deed to his family farm. It was 40 acres granted to his great, great, great, great, great, great, granddaddy for completing his full tour of duty in the Continental Army.

Did he still have the mule?

Old 18 September 2018, 06:56
Been There Done That

Back in post #8 I took a pic of the 5000 man Union Army Camp during the Civil War. Well the part of it that's visible from my road anyway. It goes on towards the east a good ways. As long as I've known, it has belonged to the same family. They only cut hay from it. They dont farm or build on it.

I was just thinking about how much crap a 5000 man Army would leave behind. You know soldiers.

Man would I like to take a metal detector there. I've caught Rangers planting 7.62 trees many times.

Old 28 September 2018, 10:54
I still think I'm fooling everyone

A 750-metre long mural in Legionowo. 1050 years worth of Polish triumphs/battles in one long picture. One could call it our local history

The field I was playing on at my grandparents' house in the countryside was, according to my grandpa, carpeted with corpses when Germans retreated and Red Army attacked. There were corpses everywhere. Literally everywhere.

And to give you a good POV on what happened in Poland immediately after the war, here's a small sneak peek. My grandparents' neighbors were nobility as well and they were active conspirators and supporters of Polish AK during the war. Extremely anti-Communist like my family. So here's a fine day during 1946, and an old rambling Soviet jeep comes to the village. Two men in civilian clothes, wearing black leather coats, and one Red Army driver. They stop in front of the house, knock on the door.
The woman of the house comes out, they say that they're here to see her husband. So she calls to him. All of their small kids gather to see what's going on.
He comes to the door. One of the men pulls a Nagant out, and shoots him right between the eyes. Spraying the kids and the wife with blood.
Then they turn around laughing, jump into jeep and drive away at a leisurely pace. NKVD.
She just stands there, shell shocked. With all the kids around her.

Poland is filled with remnants of old battles, even today you can see buildings and infrastructure in many of our cities, riddled with bullet/shrapnel marks.
Old 30 September 2018, 07:22
I still think I'm fooling everyone

In Gdynia there are remnants of torpedo testing facilities which were supposed to help Nazi Germans develop magnetic and acoustic-aimed torpedoes. One complex was named Torpedowaffenplatz Hexengrund (TWP) and was placed at Babie Doły and the second one, Torpedo Versuchsanstalt Oxhoeft was at Oksywie. It was more or less a joint Kriegsmarine-Luftwaffe operation. Taking advantage of relative docility of the waters of Gdańsk Bay, Germans set up entire operation for firing and testing trajectories and behavior of the torpedoes which traveled alongisde a specially excavated path at the bottom of the bay. Another complex was placed near Szczecin and was named Geraetewerke Pommern Maduusee.

Both buildings and the remnants of German military objects can be still seen at Gdynia.The Oksywie one is placed close to my Alma Mater (Akademia Marynarki Wojennej - Naval Academy) and main naval base in Gdynia. This one was used for torpedo tests carried out by Polish Navy as late as in 80's and now is inhabited by a Polish equivalent of U.S. Navy SEAL's, JW 4026 FORMOZA (Military Unit Formoza/Special Frogmen Group).

Here's the one at Babie Doły, courtesy of Wikipedia:

the same building with remnants of railway infrastructure used to transport the torpedoes onsite:

Old 3 November 2018, 22:02
Been There Done That

Mountain Talk

Filmed in NC but same dialect of Mtn Talk I'm fluent in. All the old timers when I was growing up talked that way. Some still do.

I understand and am almost fluent in double talk as well. It makes for fun at the drive thru.

https://youtu.be/03iwAY4KlIU

Old 4 November 2018, 07:13

^That was good!

I think 'peckerwood' is pretty universal; heard it in Pa growing up and around here as well. Every AO's got peckerwoods .
I liked this: "boomer? Can you eat 'em? Well, yeah!"

Didn't realize it until I moved away, but we had a lot of Pennsylvania Dutch thrown into conversation as kids, mostly structure but some vocab.
'Outen' for turn off.
'Throw the cow over the fence some hay.'

DaveP
Old 4 November 2018, 07:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
^That was good!

I think 'peckerwood' is pretty universal; heard it in Pa growing up and around here as well. Every AO's got peckerwoods .
I liked this: "boomer? Can you eat 'em? Well, yeah!"

Didn't realize it until I moved away, but we had a lot of Pennsylvania Dutch thrown into conversation as kids, mostly structure but some vocab.
'Outen' for turn off.
'Throw the cow over the fence some hay.'

DaveP

Boomer translates to Ferrydiddle here.

Old 4 November 2018, 13:01
Been There Done That

That’s gotta be pure Scotch-Irish-isms. Some of it translates in east Texas too, but not near as strong these days. I could translate most of what they said. My ex in-laws are strongly Scotch-Irish, tracing themselves from GA then AL, into Texas. I don’t think they know back past GA when their roots are.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 5 November 2018, 08:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Boomer translates to Ferrydiddle here.
Ferrydiddle around these parts is what the old timers call a red squirrel.
Old 5 November 2018, 21:55
The atomic zit

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Mountain Talk

Filmed in NC but same dialect of Mtn Talk I'm fluent in. All the old timers when I was growing up talked that way. Some still do.

I understand and am almost fluent in double talk as well. It makes for fun at the drive thru.

https://youtu.be/03iwAY4KlIU
Popcorn Sutton!!!
Old 6 November 2018, 07:31
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Popcorn Sutton!!!
The best hooch maker in the Appalachians.

Our new posting rules