SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Psyop/Civil Affairs

Old 18 January 2008, 14:41

AD NCO reclass to 37F

Greetings, I'm an AD 19K (tank crewman) E5 reclassing to 37F in the near future. I've read the FAQ sticky postings but haven't found much regarding active duty enlisted reclassing (just the one post). I'm trying to find out what to expect during and after school, tips for an easier transition, and pretty much anything of value that others might be able to offer.

For the record, I have college training in both Anthropology and Marketing, a DLAB of 118, GT 130, deployment time in Iraq, and a healthy interest in Psyops. My APFT isn't great but passable; still need to drop about ~10 seconds off my run for airborne school.

Thank you
Old 18 January 2008, 23:56

specific questions

Okay, here are some specific questions I have that I haven't been able to get answers for...

What will my position be as a reclassed E5 in psyop? Assistant team leader for a tac team? Flunky? I realize that much of this is dependent on where I end up being assigned, but a some insight into what my job will likely be would be nice. (I'm male, fyi)

How does annual training work throughout AIT and other schools? (Rifle qual, jumps, etc) Also, what ARE the other schools I'll be attending? The ATRRS explanation of 37F school isn't specific about what happens, how and when. I have been led to believe that 37F school is 2 months, followed by a big long stay at a language school, but the gaps in the total listed reclass length of 44 weeks are a mystery. Also, will I be with initial entry soldiers or in a seperate reclass class? Again, ATRRS doesn't specify.

More questions to come, I really appreciate your time.

Komkon
Old 19 January 2008, 14:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komkon
Greetings, I'm an AD 19K (tank crewman) E5 reclassing to 37F in the near future. I've read the FAQ sticky postings but haven't found much regarding active duty enlisted reclassing (just the one post). I'm trying to find out what to expect during and after school, tips for an easier transition, and pretty much anything of value that others might be able to offer.

For the record, I have college training in both Anthropology and Marketing, a DLAB of 118, GT 130, deployment time in Iraq, and a healthy interest in Psyops. My APFT isn't great but passable; still need to drop about ~10 seconds off my run for airborne school.

Thank you
We don't need no stinking "S" on the end of PSYOP

Transition will be very smooth, as long as you are flexible.
Old 20 January 2008, 20:51
Confirmed User

I'm going through the process from 11b to 37f (well trying to).

As you're asking about AT I'm guessing your RC. From what I understand (met with the branch manager Thursday at SWC) RC component does a split train on the MOS usually (the unit gets your AIT), can't go to the active duty school, and generally won't get SOLT or other language school unless your unit has the money for training. From my NG experience I can only assume there will be an order of merit and as the FNGs you and I will be in last place for schools.

You will need to find out if your specific unit is even on jump status, as I understand very few RC units are. RC PSYOP (I made the s and capitalization mistake too :) ) was recently or is in the process of moving out from under the USASOC umbrella. RC units will mainly be supporting conventional units, while the AD side will get the SOCOM units.

I'm trying to come in through Ft. Bragg and land one of the reserve USACAPOC slots so I can transition to AD, but I'm not sure how well thats going to work. To be honest I'm getting really frustrated with the whole thing. One junior GS bitch at meps in Raleigh is the only thing keeping me from just enlisting AD side. Yes she CAN waiver what I need, yes the branch manager said he could take care of it if she would, no she WONT do it. Got to love power mad DoD civilian employees.
Old 21 January 2008, 13:43

active duty

Sorry guy, I'm active duty. Thanks for the input, though.

komkon
Old 29 March 2008, 22:54

I just got through the course last Fall and I am currently in language school, but I can do my best to answer some of your questions.

From what I hear, they are expanding the ranks in large numbers, so NCO's are in demand. Our instructors told us that most NCO's will be leading a team either immediately or very soon post-graduation. Chances are high that coming out of MOS-T you'll be at Bragg in a regional or in tactical. Your job will vary tremendously based on that.

As for the school, they have just changed to pipeline. I believe that now it starts with a 2-week orientation, followed by language school, WLC for those that need it, and then the 2 months of MOS-T. You won't use a rifle outside of typical field training, and the other schools will come after you get to the POG. E4 and up are in their own class...the IET soldiers have barracks nearby, but they have a different schedule (AIT, BAC, Language). You'll be in language school with officers and new soldiers, but not MOS training.

Hope that helps.
Old 12 July 2008, 12:32

Thanks for the info, its a big help.

Our new posting rules